Is Kindle worth 2011's First Round Pick?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if this happened. No doubt a team would pull the trigger.

OP
OP
M

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thought process......We are going to be picking at or very near the bottom of Round 1 next year anyway, and with all the under classman coming out this year due to the likely rookie cap next year, Kindle is probably better than what will be available at our spot next year.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my thought process......We are going to be picking at or very near the bottom of Round 1 next year anyway, and with all the under classman coming out this year due to the likely rookie cap next year, Kindle is probably better than what will be available at our spot next year.

I agree with you on this one... Most Packer fans should be thinking along this line. I really like the idea of trading that pick or finding some way to get an early second round pick. This is a DEEP second round and I would really like to see us make a move. Come on Ted!!!

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Would I be devastated by a trade like this? No. But IMHO he isn't worth so much, not with a 4.5 short-shuttle...
I thought you didn't like the workout warriors........like Mays. A 4.5 short shuttle is the only thing you can come up with? Alot of people say he is better than Orakpo. Here is my opinion. We need that other guy on the opposite side of Matthews. Kindle is that guy. Jones is not. Even if Jones gets better..........Kindle is better now than Jones will be 2 years from now. Do we want to go to the Superbowl?

Move up and get Kindle!
Corner in the 3rd
Saftey in the 4th
Defensive linman in the 5th
Mesko in the 5th
Holliday in the 6th

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Do NOT trade for Kindle. Grab Spikes in the spot we're in. He's an inside backer with outside speed. Which means he can sit back for a couple years, learn the inside position and take over for Barnett, OR if Matthews or the other outside backer gets hurt he can step in and play for them. Spikes would be another "depth" pick, a guy like Chillar that could play all 4 spots.

supermancc0386

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my first thought exactly last night. We'll likely be picking near the end of round 1 next year anyway. I might be looking forward to rounds 2 and 3 more than 1. There are a lot of guys in this years 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'd give up the first next year to get the top of the second here and then try and trade Colledge and get another pick in the third. Even use the 5th if you need to. Then, we'd be walking away with 5 pretty good guys after the first three rounds and we'd still have 4 more picks. We'd add some good depth and be poised to make a good run the next few years.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Do NOT trade for Kindle. Grab Spikes in the spot we're in. He's an inside backer with outside speed. Which means he can sit back for a couple years, learn the inside position and take over for Barnett, OR if Matthews or the other outside backer gets hurt he can step in and play for them. Spikes would be another "depth" pick, a guy like Chillar that could play all 4 spots.
This is just the way I personally think, but I feel a second round pick should not be sitting on the bench waiting in the wings so to speak. Maybe at the begining of the season. He needs to be making a contribution. If you want someone to be sitting back for a couple years. Pick up the Linebacker from Wisconsin later on in the draft since he will be nursing his knee for a year or so.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade up for him...

I dunno if we'll be looking to trade up for Kindle. He's proven to be a bit of a liability. From http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/91783214.html:

The other difference is that not a single scout mentioned anything negative about Hughes' attitude or character. In contrast, every scout in the league is familiar with facets of Kindle's background that they deem troubling to various degrees.

In 2007, Kindle was arrested for drunken driving and suspended three games. His license was suspended, he attended mandatory Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and he performed 60 hours of community service.

Last June, Kindle suffered a concussion when the car he was driving in Austin, Texas, slammed into an apartment building. He didn't report the incident to police until the next morning.

At the combine, Kindle said the accident occurred because he was texting. Also at the combine, he told the Journal Sentinel that he no longer used alcohol.

Several sources said Kindle also suffers from narcolepsy, a disorder in which he would fall asleep in meetings and Longhorn coaches wondered what was wrong with him. He takes medication that has controlled the narcolepsy and an attention-deficit issue.

"At the end of the day, unless they're extremely talented, guys like that tend to bust," another AFC personnel man said. "Because they don't have inside what it takes to be successful. Not the greatest kid in the world."

Not to mention the possibility of needing microfracture surgery:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet

Might be better to either let someone else take him or let him fall to us, especially when we don't have a glaring need at the position. I believe Brad Jones will improve, and picking up a guy in a later round to serve as a backup might be smarter.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno if we'll be looking to trade up for Kindle. He's proven to be a bit of a liability. From http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/91783214.html:

Not to mention the possibility of needing microfracture surgery:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet

Might be better to either let someone else take him or let him fall to us, especially when we don't have a glaring need at the position. I believe Brad Jones will improve, and picking up a guy in a later round to serve as a backup might be smarter.

Randy Moss and Warren Sapp also had some issues before the draft.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just the way I personally think, but I feel a second round pick should not be sitting on the bench waiting in the wings so to speak. Maybe at the begining of the season. He needs to be making a contribution. If you want someone to be sitting back for a couple years. Pick up the Linebacker from Wisconsin later on in the draft since he will be nursing his knee for a year or so.

Schofield could be such a steal

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but there are always exceptions to every rule.

That said, I'd wager to guess his biggest issue is the possible need for micro-fracture surgery. According to the Boston Herald link I submitted, the injuries he has are usually found in players near the ends of their careers, not in the beginning. It could be an awful big gamble to trade a first round pick from next years draft to get a guy who might not play more than a year or two.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kindle is a follower from the reports I have read and I think that wouldnt be such a bad thing for us. While I rip hawk every chance I get, he is not a slacker. None of our linebackers are to my knowledge. I think would be a great environment for Kindle. I think the position is as much of a need as anything we have right now, and I dont think you can pass up a player that most considered in the 15 - 25 range of the draft.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't think TT will pull the trigger on Kindle and move up. Sooooo......I kind of looked at who could make the biggest impact on the upcoming season.

Dexter Mc Cluster

Grant can't really get to the outside. Mc Cluster can. He just makes sense to me. Also a good return man that can.........should I say it........throw a decent pass! lol

The Packer Sweep returns to Greenbay!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't we just wait and see what happens, like we did yesterday. We didn't have to move up to get a franchise tackle and with the way the draft turned out, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kindle managed to fall to us.

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats with all the spikes talk?? at the combine they said he was stupid slow and there was ol running faster 40times.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real question is: Do they think we can get a better player next year with a low (hopefully 32th) 1st round than Kindle?

If so, I wouldn't mind it. This draft is pretty full...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats with all the spikes talk?? at the combine they said he was stupid slow and there was ol running faster 40times.
If I'm not mistaken, Bulaga ran the 40 faster than him. I'm positive that Campbell and Williams did...

He had a 5 something 40. SCARY slow. And he's big, as in fat big.

But he was a playmaker in college...

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya thank u rs, spikes in the secon round would be the worst pick in the draft. spikes couldent play olb with a jet pack.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Spikes could fit in nicely in a 3-4 defense, but like everyone said he would be a huge reach in the 2nd. If in the 3rd or 4th I wouldn't mind.

Members online

Latest posts