Is Henderson being phased out?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before training camp, I predicted Henderson would get cut so they could keep a younger and cheaper Leach. I was wrong. But Bob McGinn pointed out some telling statistics in his column today. He stated:

"It looks as if William Henderson is being phased out because the Packers don't think he can run-block anymore. On the 23 rushes by Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport and Chatman, hard-hitting Vonta Leach was on the field for 19. In fact, the Packers passed on just one of Leach's 20 snaps, an easy-to-predict ratio that cannot continue. Henderson played 12 snaps, ran into the pile on a rare carry and carelessly lost a fumble. He also looked every bit his 34 years on two flat passes. Leach counted five linebackers among the six defenders he pancaked with lead blocks. Also, he wasn't intimidated a bit going one-on-one with the rugged Spires. The Packers played Green 79.2% of the snaps but still it wasn't enough. On four occasions when Green either left the field on his own or was taken out, drives bogged down. Davenport didn't get in until the 10-minute mark of the third quarter, but his three carries in a five-play stint went nowhere. Tony Fisher's snap count has decreased from 22 to 10 to six. Green broke a total of four tackles but continues to dive more than he used to at the end of runs. "

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
William Henderson is a man. He has done his tour of duty with honor and deserves many thanks. But like many before him, all football players reach a point of no return. Early on in Sherman's stint, the rumor was they were trying to phase him out, but he worked hard and improved. But he seems even a bit slower than before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him phased out.

He deserves a place in the Packer Hall of Fame.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm, yeah. My next jersey.

Too bad if he is being phased out.

I would put more blame on the O-line, and Green for the lack of rushing success.

William is simply sure-thing.

That fumble was the only bad thing I've seen the guy do in years...

Hit him with the short pass, and watch him barrel to the first down...

Go-getter.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
William Henderson is a man. He has done his tour of duty with honor and deserves many thanks. But like many before him, all football players reach a point of no return. Early on in Sherman's stint, the rumor was they were trying to phase him out, but he worked hard and improved. But he seems even a bit slower than before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him phased out.

He deserves a place in the Packer Hall of Fame.

I agree, and I'm sure they'll reserve a spot for Henderson in the Packer Hall of Fame because he deserves it. I love his attitude and work ethic, but I thought he was slowing down a little last year already even though he made the Pro Bowl.

I think Leach will be a better blocker, but it remains to be seen if he can be as effective catching passes out in the flat the way Henderson does.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some interesting comments about the topic from Cliff Christl today. He stated:

"Sherman became particularly defensive when he was asked if Vonta Leach was now his starting fullback, considering that Leach had started the last two games. At first, Sherman stressed that William Henderson hadn't lost his job. Then, Sherman rambled on about how sometimes starters don't always start because of the package. But that doesn't apply in this case. The Packers started both games with a fullback and Leach was the fullback.

When pressed on the issue, Sherman said: "Ask me who my starting fullback is and it's William Henderson." Whatever his reason for sticking with his story, Sherman should realize it it's a bad sign around here to start ducking questions with a stream of B.S. It certainly didn't do Starr and Infante any good."

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a frustrating aspect to being a fan...although you can often see through the smoke screens, you still never really know if what you're hearing is complete B.S...for example when the Packers were saying all preseason that Hunt had turned over a new leaf and that Bates was excited about working w/ him.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a frustrating aspect to being a fan...although you can often see through the smoke screens, you still never really know if what you're hearing is complete B.S...for example when the Packers were saying all preseason that Hunt had turned over a new leaf and that Bates was excited about working w/ him.

Members online

Latest posts