vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting comments from Favre
QB expresses regret, uncertainty
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 28, 2005

Green Bay - Perhaps it could be chalked up to a year-long practice of others reading between the lines. Or perhaps it was just a matter of rolling with the questions heading into the season-finale Sunday against Seattle.

Whatever the reason, Brett Favre sounded Wednesday like someone who was about to play his last game.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback reiterated that his decision whether to return for a 16th NFL season has not been made and that he would wait until after Sunday to discuss his future with his family and Packers general manager Ted Thompson. But he also talked about regret over not playing better this season, concern that the club might not want him to come back and his knowledge that there is no guarantee next season will go any better than this one.

"The easy thing to do is to keep playing because that's all I know," Favre said. "But as easy as that decision is, it could be the wrong one. Because maybe I, in the process, continue to play, but maybe I'm just not as productive as I once was, or maybe I'm not the type of player they need now.

"Maybe they want to go in a different direction and they don't know how to tell Brett Favre, 'We want to go in a different direction.' "

Asked if he was aware this could be his last game, Favre said, "Absolutely. I'm well aware of that."

Thompson has made it clear that he still values Favre's talents and would like him back if his heart is still in it. But there could be major changes in the coaching staff and in the demands put on Favre next season.

There are no guarantees that Favre will be given the long leash he has had this year en route to throwing 28 interceptions, second-most in club history.

Favre said that as difficult as it has been enduring a 3-12 season, it is a misconception that he would not be able to walk away from the game after Sunday.

In one of his strongest statements in a 30-minute news conference devoted in part to announcing the donation of $179,900 from his charity foundation to 16 organizations, Favre said the 2005 season would not tarnish his legacy.

"I've had so many people say, 'Well, you can't go out that way. You've got to come back and redeem yourself and redeem this team's season,' " he said. "But in all honesty, if this is it, I have gone out on top. I mean, I really have. One season does not define me, no matter how good or how bad it is.

"And this has been a bad season, but I've had so many great memories here, so much success. . . I don't have to win a Super Bowl to go out on top. I have thought about this being it."

There would be some poeticism to Favre calling it quits after playing his final game against Mike Holmgren, the Seattle coach who helped turn the quarterback's career around in Green Bay. Holmgren will bring a 13-2 team that has clinched NFC home-field advantage into Lambeau Field, where he once stood on the home team's sideline.

Holmgren wouldn't weigh in on the Favre retirement discussion, other than to say he only knows what he sees: Favre still looks as though he can play the game.

"I just know this, when I watch him on film, physically he looks like he's the same guy," Holmgren said. "Now I'm not there every day, but to me he still looks like he has zip on the ball. He's moving very well and so - heck, a player as great as Brett Favre, he's going to make that decision. If he wants to continue playing, more power to him."

Favre, however, is in the midst of his worst NFL season. He ranks 29th in the league in passer rating with a career-low 70.5. He hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in four games and has thrown 13 interceptions in his last six.

Injuries have robbed the Green Bay offense of its top playmakers and the offensive line has been a major disappointment.

But even more disappointing for Favre is the fact he hasn't been able to raise the level of his teammates' play enough to win more games.

"I've played the game no differently than I have in the past, but the problem is that we're not good enough to overcome those mistakes that I make," Favre said. "I've needed to play the game a certain way and, at times, have not done that.

"As soon as maybe the run game is shut down or a receiver is hurt, then I feel like I have to make that play every single time I take the snap. I know better. But it's hard to fight that urge because I want to score on every play. I feel like we have to.

"That's been disappointing to me because I know that we're in a different situation this year than we have been in any other year, and I needed to play a different style of football."

If Favre were to come back next season - at a salary of $10 million and a salary-cap number of $12 million - there are no guarantees he wouldn't be thrust right back into the same situation. The Packers don't envision themselves as a rebuilding team, but they probably are.

And Favre said he recognizes he might not be the right fit for that situation.

"We have a ways to go to get back to where we were, and what direction this team wants to go may not include me - or may include me but, 'Brett, it may take a while to do this, are you willing to go along for a ride or are you willing to possibly have a season like this next year?' " Favre said. "There are no guarantees.

"As much as I would like to think that we could turn this around. . . and I could be the difference-maker, that might not be the case."

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never over until it's over as the old cliche goes but Brett is one real proud guy who I believe feels he let the team down although in my opinion this is just not the case.

I think we are seeing him at his lowest level of confidence ever and if we have any hope of getting him to come back next year then it will be the support that is showed to him on this Sunday that may be the determining factor.

If I lived in Green Bay I would be organizing for extra signs etc for this game to show him how we feel but that's just me.

GO PACK GO and STAY BRETT STAY

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been brought up before . . . and the continual statement from fans is that . . . he will retire as a Packer. Up to his recent comments I believed that (and for the most part I still do). But, has his recent comments opened the door for a trade. We could still get alot for him. Before anyone jumps on me, let's look at history:

Joe Montana - Kansas City - 1993/94 - age 36/37
John Unitas - Chargers - 1973 - age 39/40
Joe Namath - Rams - 1977 - age 34

There is some precedent for a star franchise QB player finishing his career with another team at an older age. When I think of the three names above I will always associate them with the 49ers, Colts and Jets. Just as I will with Favre and the Pack. But it is a business as Favre said.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin....Brett would have to change his mind from what he has been saying for years. He will never play for another team. I don't believe the three guys you mentioned were all trades. If so....what did they get for them?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will not play for a different team. He's said it and by all indications, the Packers have made it clear that they want him back as well. It's Packers or retirement, nothing else...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry DePack and ND..

But the Packers have NOT made it clear that they want him back...

Just look at what the man said..in the quote above..."I don't know if this team wants me back..."

What does that say to you?

TT is saying one thing and doing another and the writing is on the wall for Brett Favre...

I could see him going to another team with a little chip on his shoulder by the way he is being treated by the GB PAcker organization..and maybe it would be a breath of fresh air for him to play for a good coach for a change (who knows the game of football and knows how to call plays for a game..and gameplan..)..with some skilled receivers..say like the JEts..maybe..instead of the incestuous foul smelling, lair..that SherRossley and TT have created in Green Bay...

Sorry it had to be this way Brett...some people should have some more respect and common sense...

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack,

I don't know how any of the 3 were moved. I think Montana was released to make room for Young. But that is not my point. Favre is a competitor and a star professional athlete. Whether we want to believe it or not he does have pride and an ego. If he feels that the Packers do not want him, but yet he still feels that he can play (which I believe he does), he may not be opposed to playing for another team at this point. Again, odds are he will end his career as a Packer and even play next year. I have just never heard Favre sound so dissappointed in this franchise. It is a new tone for him.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
This has been brought up before . . . and the continual statement from fans is that . . . he will retire as a Packer. Up to his recent comments I believed that (and for the most part I still do). But, has his recent comments opened the door for a trade. We could still get alot for him. Before anyone jumps on me, let's look at history:

Joe Montana - Kansas City - 1993/94 - age 36/37
John Unitas - Chargers - 1973 - age 39/40
Joe Namath - Rams - 1977 - age 34

There is some precedent for a star franchise QB player finishing his career with another team at an older age. When I think of the three names above I will always associate them with the 49ers, Colts and Jets. Just as I will with Favre and the Pack. But it is a business as Favre said.

You brought up a great point - we could still get some quality players/draft picks for Brett. While he could still start for maybe 20 teams in the NFL, I still feel that he is a "throwback player" that believes is loyalty to a team and town. Much like a certain Robin Yount, that played 20 seasons for the Brewers. :joy:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin...I get your point. I was just referring to the part about us getting something for him. I still think he is the greatest but coming off this season nobody will pick him up for the salary he is getting.

Pack66...I agree with you. Everytime they are asked in an interview, TT and Sherman, say they want him back. But talk is cheap. If they don't show him that they want him back they shouldn't just be fired.....they should be shot.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I'm sorry DePack and ND..

But the Packers have NOT made it clear that they want him back...

Just look at what the man said..in the quote above..."I don't know if this team wants me back..."

What does that say to you?

TT is saying one thing and doing another and the writing is on the wall for Brett Favre...

I could see him going to another team with a little chip on his shoulder by the way he is being treated by the GB PAcker organization..and maybe it would be a breath of fresh air for him to play for a good coach for a change (who knows the game of football and knows how to call plays for a game..and gameplan..)..with some skilled receivers..say like the JEts..maybe..instead of the incestuous foul smelling, lair..that SherRossley and TT have created in Green Bay...

Sorry it had to be this way Brett...some people should have some more respect and common sense...

P@ck66, I don't know you from the man on the moon but I think you have a serious case of selective hearing...this is an excerpt of an article from packersnews.com. Please read:

General Manager Ted Thompson has said repeatedly that he wants Favre back.

When coach Mike Sherman was asked whether there was any doubt that he wanted Favre back, Sherman didn’t pause.

“No,â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Whatever the reason, Brett Favre sounded Wednesday like someone who was about to play his last game.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback reiterated that his decision whether to return for a 16th NFL season has not been made and that he would wait until after Sunday to discuss his future with his family and Packers general manager Ted Thompson. But he also talked about regret over not playing better this season, concern that the club might not want him to come back and his knowledge that there is no guarantee next season will go any better than this one.

"The easy thing to do is to keep playing because that's all I know," Favre said. "But as easy as that decision is, it could be the wrong one. Because maybe I, in the process, continue to play, but maybe I'm just not as productive as I once was, or maybe I'm not the type of player they need now.

"Maybe they want to go in a different direction and they don't know how to tell Brett Favre, 'We want to go in a different direction.' ""

ND..

Does this sound like a guy who is sure of his fate.....?

There's a difference between what some people say..and what they do...And I think that TT going into total rebuilding mode NOW without pursuing help in free agency..is speaking VOLUMES to Favre...(Steve Young on ESPN.. said this would be the case..in the beginning of the year...)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, 66...it sounds like a guy who is questioning if he still has "it". I'm sure he's looking at his all-time low passer rating, all-time interception total and is wondering if the Packers want him back. I think TT can see what Favre has had to try and play with this season and as far as I'm concerned, you can put an asterisk by all his totals this season. I've said it before, not many QB's could play with these NFLE players. He needs to look at the big picture with Walker coming back, the upcoming draft, and free agency. This team is $20+ under the cap and can make a splash if they choose to. We'll see as only time will tell.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard some of Favre's interview, and i REALLY think he hasn't made up his mind yet. And i truely think he still has what it takes to win, IF they get the main players healthy, and a half decent draft. I think there are probably 25 teams out there that would LOVE to have him as QB. So i say IF he wants to come back, give him the shot at it. As far as a trade, he always said thats NOT an option. I'd rather see him retire then go to another team anyway.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the bottomline, Brett has said many times that he is too old to be learning a new offense and plays. He will not play for anyone else, case closed.

The truth is Brett is not the QB that he was a few years ago, but still very capable of leading most teams in this league. I really hope that when he does decide to hang it up, that he lets everyone know a year in advance. He is a legend and deserves his "farewell tour" so to speak.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read it just sounds like a guy who is down on himself. Why wouldnt he be 28 picks 19 ints a very bad year for him. I think he needs a big win on Sunday. Regardless of draft picks he needxs a 4 td day. If he throws four picks again I just think he will say screw this I dont need it. But I do believe that Favre needs to come back for redemtion for this season. I do believe that he will restructure his contract this year and sign a two year 6 million deal with Mucho incentives and such just to give the Cap room the Pack needs. if he did that the Pack would free up eight million more. I will take TT at his word right now that he wants brett back. Fans need to make damn sure this weekend that they want him to stay.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has hinted he will watch the team's offseason moves before making a decision.

"We have a ways to go to get back to where we were," Favre said, "and what direction this team wants to go may not include me or may include me, but 'Brett, it may take a while to do this, are you willing to go along for a ride or are you willing to possibly have a season like this next year?' So there are no guarantees."

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surely there will be a lot of moves that will influence that decision as well. I would not be surprised if he did decide to retire. At least he wont go with another team.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say stick with my pre-season comments that Favre will retire.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! ******! Troll! Infidel! Kill him for his blasphemy!
:p

Staff online

Latest posts