Is Colledge getting treated fairly?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daryn is one of several players who will not be in the voluntary work outs due to his contract not being agreed to.

Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, safety Atari Bigby, end Johnny Jolly and cornerback Tramon Williams, all of whom are pursuing long-term deals with the Packers who have not signed their tenders and can not participate in these teams activities until they are under contract or negotiate a special insurance policy like Kuhn has.

Jason Spitz is in the same boat as Colledge, yet he is not receiving the same criticism that Colledge is. Spitz did not show anything amazing when he started at center, if anything the play calling of Wells was superior to Spitz. Combined with his back problems, he has just as much to prove and improve as Colledge

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason why fans are hating on Colledge is because he made a public statement of his dissapointment. Spitz, Williams and all the other players haven't voiced their opinions so we have no clue if they agree with Colledge or not. Either way if Colledge meant what he said previously we definitely have a reason to be upset.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason why fans are hating on Colledge is because he made a public statement of his dissapointment. Spitz, Williams and all the other players haven't voiced their opinions so we have no clue if they agree with Colledge or not. Either way if Colledge meant what he said previously we definitely have a reason to be upset.

I guess I missed what he said that was so critical of the Packers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I missed what he said that was so critical of the Packers.

Colledge said on a radio show that he wasn't happy with the tender placed on him and that he wouldn't mind going to another team. And if he didn't think this statement spoke volumes, why was he so quick to respond to peoples' criticism later on?

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge said on a radio show that he wasn't happy with the tender placed on him and that he wouldn't mind going to another team. And if he didn't think this statement spoke volumes, why was he so quick to respond to peoples' criticism later on?

I see that he put into words exactly what the others are doing, but saying nothing.

Is this not what Spitz is doing and thinking (but not vocalizing), he is not jumping at the chance to sign the tender and go to these work outs, he is interested and willing to entertain other offers from other teams as well, he too is not over joyed with the offer the Packers have offered.

These other players are willing to play for another team if they can get a better deal.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see that he put into words exactly what the others are doing, but saying nothing.

Is this not what Spitz is doing and thinking (but not vocalizing), he is not jumping at the chance to sign the tender and go to these work outs, he is interested and willing to entertain other offers from other teams as well, he too is not over joyed with the offer the Packers have offered.

These other players are willing to play for another team if they can get a better deal.
I'm sorry, but it's not the same deal.

First of all, Spitz was horrible AT CENTER. Not at guard.

And we're talking about a player reportedly complaining about his status and BLAMING HIS BAD PLAY ON THE COACHES (he said that he didn't see nothing wrong with him on film, and that he was mad because he was moved, sparsingly as it may've been).

If it were the other way around, people would get on Spitz. But Spitz is quiet in his corner, working. He's not blaming anyone, he's not saying anything.

And that's a huge difference.

So yeah, Colledge is being treated quite fairly for what he's doing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Spitz has much to prove as Colledge do. That's why both of them will compete for the starting LG job (not C).

But when a player says that he "wouldn't mind playing for another team", then he's not going to get the best treatment in the world.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BINGO to PackersRS. Maybe Spitz is thinking about going elsewhere but until you have vocal proof of him doing so, then you have no way of knowing. Colledge directly stated that he is unaware of his flaws and therefore should get a better deal. The truth is, nobody wants Colledge and bickering is just a scare tactic that he and his agent on working on to sucker the Packers organization into giving him a nice contract.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BINGO to PackersRS. Maybe Spitz is thinking about going elsewhere but until you have vocal proof of him doing so, then you have no way of knowing. Colledge directly stated that he is unaware of his flaws and therefore should get a better deal. The truth is, nobody wants Colledge and bickering is just a scare tactic that he and his agent on working on to sucker the Packers organization into giving him a nice contract.
They're probably thinking about what Grant did.

What they're not realising is that Grant had a phenomenal "rookie" year, and that the Packers had absolutely nothing at RB.

Not the case with Colledge AT ALL.

But Grant NOT ONCE voiced any discontention with the Packers, let alone say that he'd be fine playing with another team.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Spitz has much to prove as Colledge do. That's why both of them will compete for the starting LG job (not C).

But when a player says that he "wouldn't mind playing for another team", then he's not going to get the best treatment in the world.

Is not Spitz saying the same thing, wouldn't mind playing for another team by not signing the tender and missing the work outs?

I understand that Colledge has voiced some excuses/blame game, Spitz has a built in excuse because he was injured. Other than Collins, I am pretty sure these guys know that TT is not going to offer anything more and would be content on the draft choices if they sign with another team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is not Spitz saying the same thing, wouldn't mind playing for another team by not signing the tender and missing the work outs?

I understand that Colledge has voiced some excuses/blame game, Spitz has a built in excuse because he was injured. Other than Collins, I am pretty sure these guys know that TT is not going to offer anything more and would be content on the draft choices if they sign with another team.

Is he? Is he really saying the same thing by not doing that? If you assume that he does then 200 other RFAs are also expressing the same disgrunt who lost out in free agency due to the expired CBA. It's not his fault that he's an RFA and the Packers don't necessarily have to him a new contract. Collins didn't have to get a new contract but he got one anyway.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he? Is he really saying the same thing by not doing that? If you assume that he does then 200 other RFAs are also expressing the same disgrunt who lost out in free agency due to the expired CBA. It's not his fault that he's an RFA and the Packers don't necessarily have to him a new contract. Collins didn't have to get a new contract but he got one anyway.

Yes all the other tendered players that have not sign the tender are welcoming the chance to sign another contract with another team.

In essence, the same feeling that Colledge spoke of.

Colledge making excuses is another story, but the main fact they are welcoming the opportunity to play with another team as stated by Colledge. I don't see the difference, Colledge is just being up front and honest, a bad move on his part yes.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes all the other tendered players that have not sign the tender are welcoming the chance to sign another contract with another team.

Colledge making excuses is another story, but the main fact they are welcoming the opportunity to play with another team as stated by Colledge. I don't see the difference, Colledge is just being up front and honest, a bad move on his part yes.

So you're saying that out of all of the RFAs not one of them would like to stay with the team they're on? How about Kirk Morrison? He plays for the crappy Raiders but said he wouldn't like to go anywhere else. That somehow contradicts your theory that all the other RFAs out there are disgruntled.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sorry man. It's completely different.

It's the same logic that states that having TT not denying any trade scenarios for Aaron Rodgers, he's putting Rodgers on the market...

You can't assume things, even though they may lead you to that.

Or else Collins would still be viewed as a bum that held out last year... (Which he still is by some)

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love for any team in the league to make an offer for either Colledge or Spitz. I don't want either one of them starting for the Packers long term especially Colledge. He clearly thinks he is better than he really is and I think he will be the more expensive of the two.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Daryn is one of several players who will not be in the voluntary work outs due to his contract not being agreed to.

Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, safety Atari Bigby, end Johnny Jolly and cornerback Tramon Williams, all of whom are pursuing long-term deals with the Packers who have not signed their tenders and can not participate in these teams activities until they are under contract or negotiate a special insurance policy like Kuhn has.

Jason Spitz is in the same boat as Colledge, yet he is not receiving the same criticism that Colledge is. Spitz did not show anything amazing when he started at center, if anything the play calling of Wells was superior to Spitz. Combined with his back problems, he has just as much to prove and improve as Colledge

Spitz was pretty good a couple of seasons ago(I wouldnt guarentee him a starter spot), College is older and still doesnt play with veteran saavy now he wants a big contract, NO get someone new. Jolly isnt going to get anything until we know if he's going to jail. Williams and bigby, are really poor coverage guys, and they play in the secondary, I wouldnt mind to see both of these guys go, Tramon was looking good coming into last season, but the pass interference on the deep ball was just getting ridiculous he's a liability and other teams KNOW IT. as for bigby, the guy is a shell of himself now, he had that 1 good season, can't hit anymore cause he can't even get to the play, I think BJ Raji could run a faster 40 than atari bigby. These guys have had their chances and they have proven to be mediocre NFL football players with obvious holes in their game, Why pay them big money? we already made a HUGE MISTAKE signing Chillar.

Members online

Latest posts