OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

More confused then before

So since 61 the player of year award has been named the MVP...

but he won in 59 that cant be called the MVP, it still has to be the player of the year?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
LOL

but he won in 59 that cant be called the MVP, it still has to be the player of the year?

Maybe he was the Most Valuable Player of the Year...that would make him the MVPOTY.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

Exactly.

It's like if the Super Bowl were to be renamed to the Incredible Bowl in this season.

If the Packers won it, they would have 4 SBs and 1 IB. But it would still be the same game, just another name. And it would be the 14th title.

Championships and SBs are essencially the same.
pre-61 Player of the Year and MVP are EXACTLY the same but with a different name.

It's still AP voting the best player of the year.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So....Technically Brett really wasnt only 3 time mvp....cuz even tho the name was different in 59 it technically is the same award

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the debate over whether our championships prior to the Super Bowl actually "count". We may not have been Super Bowl Champions, but we were World Champions and that is what today's Super Bowl Champions are. Unitas may not have been the Most Valuable Player (because that designation did not yet exist), but, as "Player of the Year" he was certainly the most valuable player. IMO.
I do recognize, however, that if it was the AP's award to give and they did not give it to Unitas, then he was not "Player of the Year" and thus not the most valuable player in that year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the debate over whether our championships prior to the Super Bowl actually "count". We may not have been Super Bowl Champions, but we were World Champions and that is what today's Super Bowl Champions are.

Yes, that's a fantastic illustration.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wikipedia article:

"In 1959 Unitas was voted the AP Player of the Year and also the UPI player of the Year. (See: National Football League Most Valuable Player Award) The AP Award was considered the MVP award, adopting that verbiage in 1961. The Associated Press had always called the pre-1961 'Players of the Year"' their MVP until 2008, when it was revealed to them that they had made certain errors in their listings, namely that Jim Brown was the 1958 MVP/Player of the Year rather than Gino Marchetti and that Unitas was the true winner in 1959, not Y.A. Tittle. Rather than correct the winners, the AP "disavowed" that the pre-1961 winners were indeed "MVPs" claiming that it was a different award. Nonetheless, UPI also voted Unitas the top player award and there is little doubt that through sports history "MVP" and "Player of the Year" are terms that are interchangeable."

Johnny Unitas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technicality

National Football League Most Valuable Player Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The AP NFL MVP has been shared twice, in 1997 and 2003.[1] Peyton Manning has won the award four times in his career, the most of any NFL player. Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, and Brett Favre all were named MVP three times

So now a wikipedia article states Brown and Johnny won it 3 times...

I give up

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the debate over whether our championships prior to the Super Bowl actually "count". We may not have been Super Bowl Champions, but we were World Champions and that is what today's Super Bowl Champions are. Unitas may not have been the Most Valuable Player (because that designation did not yet exist), but, as "Player of the Year" he was certainly the most valuable player. IMO.
I do recognize, however, that if it was the AP's award to give and they did not give it to Unitas, then he was not "Player of the Year" and thus not the most valuable player in that year.
Pretty close to the same situation. Only problem with the super bowl reference is that they had an NFL Championship game and then the Super Bowl for the first 4 years. With the MVP they just switched the name of the award. So I would say that is a little more clear than the "Championship". I would have to say it sure looks like they just changed the name. Now to go in depth one would have to look and see if the conditions for winning the award are the same or did they change those at the same time. That would be the most telling.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it when you make a great analogy and then someone comes crashing in and pointing out how the two things aren't exactly the same....

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a stinker

wht is funny is I argued this point on the espn board years ago by a troll named Dale....I took the stance that the MVP award is not the same

Now it appears that the award is the same we have two different wikipedia articles saying exact opposite..

Maybe get Nagler to call NFL offices to settle this

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Super Bowl was originally supposed to be a competition between the NFL and the AFL. When the two leagues merged the NFL became the NFC and the AFL became the AFC and together they became the NFL. Before Super Bowl 4 they were separate leagues, kind of like high school and college football. So they had separate awards/titles.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Super Bowl was originally supposed to be a competition between the NFL and the AFL. When the two leagues merged the NFL became the NFC and the AFL became the AFC and together they became the NFL. Before Super Bowl 4 they were separate leagues, kind of like high school and college football. So they had separate awards/titles.

Who are you trying to educate here? Me?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I am a stinker

wht is funny is I argued this point on the espn board years ago by a troll named Dale....I took the stance that the MVP award is not the same

Now it appears that the award is the same we have two different wikipedia articles saying exact opposite..

If you were a woman, you'd know that it is whatever you want it to be.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I am a stinker

I would like to know if they changed any of the requirements for winning the award.

*If you want, I can go into Wikipedia and change it the way it makes sense.

Members online

Latest posts