Is Bears Acquasition of Marshall a Difference Maker?

With the Bears AcQuiring Brandon Marshall, Is the NFC North Now the Toughest Division in Football??

• Yes, the Packers need to utilize Free Agency/Trades to Keep Up

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Yes, the Packers "Draft and Develop" Strategy is a Winner in January, Not in March.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No. Other Divisions are More Difficult Than the NFC North.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people forget that the Bears were a playoff team prior to the Cutler and Forte injuries last year. When Cutler went down, the Bears were 7-3 with their next three games being the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos. They are a good football team. Marshall definitely makes the offense better.

Marshall obviously makes them better but I don't see them making the playoffs this year. I really don't. You can bump this when they win the super bowl this year but for some reason I feel they are going to have an 8-8 or 9-7 season. You make a good point about cutler and forte going down and both coming back, forte is a great player and cutler is pretty good.

I hate the bears so oh well.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I still don't think it's a difference making improvement for a few reasons

1) they still have that garbage offensive line. Now whether that had to do with Martz's scheme or not, is something that we'll have to see in the upcoming season

2) Jay Cutler is still Jay Cutler. He's not anywhere near Rodgers level and in order to be able to claim you have one of the best offenses in the league, you have to have an Elite QB and the Bears don't have one.

3) Brandon Marshall is a headcase. He's not Terrell Owens bad but he's pretty bad and he has inconsistent hands. One great receiver and a great RB does not make you a great offense.

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was glad they got Marshall. If they got Vincent Jackson I would have been worried. Marshall is total heasdcase, even his wife stabbed him!!!! More than that he leads the NFL in drops with 51 over the last 4 seasons. Free agency looks glamorous but I like the Packer way, draft and develop your own.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think it's a difference making improvement for a few reasons

1) they still have that garbage offensive line. Now whether that had to do with Martz's scheme or not, is something that we'll have to see in the upcoming season

2) Jay Cutler is still Jay Cutler. He's not anywhere near Rodgers level and in order to be able to claim you have one of the best offenses in the league, you have to have an Elite QB and the Bears don't have one.

3) Brandon Marshall is a headcase. He's not Terrell Owens bad but he's pretty bad and he has inconsistent hands. One great receiver and a great RB does not make you a great offense.

It is a difference maker if you look at it in the singular. Last year's #1 receiver was Johnny Knox. Is Brandon Marshall better than Johnny Knox? YES. Have the Bears had a 1,000 yard receiver in the last eight seasons? NO. Brandon Marshall is a vast improvement over every receiver on the Bears.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still a mildly depressing time to be a Packer fan amidst all the free agency. Can't we sign just one person for our toilet bowl defense?

C'mon, man. Maintain some perspective. Most of the signings made during the first day or two of FA are garbage and/or poor value...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still a mildly depressing time to be a Packer fan amidst all the free agency. Can't we sign just one person for our toilet bowl defense?

Yup, let's make a move for the sake of making a move, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Smart. Real smart.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Hell no

Since when are stat hogs like me going to forget how many passes Brandon Marshall has dropped with the Dolphins? Never...Those stats would like 5x better if he actually caught easy passes early during the season.

Only ESPN and every other media outlet forgets to mention those things.

What about Robert Meachum? While they show all the highlights of him catching bombs from Brees, only someone like me that watched every single game, can tell you, he also dropped easy passes. For every big catch he had, he dropped 2 easy passes when he knew the defensive player was going to hit him hard.

Adding a high profile wide receiver is nothing for the Bears. I am sure the team that signs Robert Meachum also will be called "great".

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no

Since when are stat hogs like me going to forget how many passes Brandon Marshall has dropped with the Dolphins? Never...Those stats would like 5x better if he actually caught easy passes early during the season.

Only ESPN and every other media outlet forgets to mention those things.

What about Robert Meachum? While they show all the highlights of him catching bombs from Brees, only someone like me that watched every single game, can tell you, he also dropped easy passes. For every big catch he had, he dropped 2 easy passes when he knew the defensive player was going to hit him hard.

Adding a high profile wide receiver is nothing for the Bears. I am sure the team that signs Robert Meachum also will be called "great".

:whistling:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is he a difference maker for their offense? Yes, I think he is. As he steps in as the #1 WR and the others step down a notch, each spot should get better. This is a team that has pretended Hester was a #1 WR in the recent past. Defenses will pay more attention to Marshall than they paid to any Bears WR in the recent past, so like Finley his presence (even with the drops) helps free up other receivers. And he and Cutler are familiar with each other so yes, IMO Marshall will be a difference maker but how much of a difference? That’s where the drops come in as well as his attitude.

Another difference maker IMO is the loss of Martz. Unfortunately we’ll likely see fewer seven step drops and even if their OL isn’t upgraded, Cutler will probably be hit less. But IMO Southpaw made a good point: Cutler is a better QB than the Bears have had in a long time, but he’s not at Rodgers’ level.

Reaction score
that's not a contradiction if you read what I wrote
I did read what you wrote. You ****ing said "I think this move is going to completely backfire on the bears (or maybe its wishful thinking). I cannot help but think that this is going to take more touches away from matt forte who is their best player" From this quote you are saying that the Trade will be bad for the Bears because it is going to take touches away from Forte. I made a comparison of the packers getting a good RB that it would be bad for the packers because it would take throws away from Aaron Rodgers. From this over dramatic analogy I am disagreeing with you saying an added talented Wide Receiver will not make the Bears offense worse like an added talented RB will not make the packers worse. You also said that Cutler will force passes because they don't have another Wide Receiver. I said they still have the draft to get another Wide Receiver. Don't ****ing tell me to reread. You learn to rewrite or clarify what you said.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did read what you wrote. You ******* said "I think this move is going to completely backfire on the bears (or maybe its wishful thinking). I cannot help but think that this is going to take more touches away from matt forte who is their best player" From this quote you are saying that the Trade will be bad for the Bears because it is going to take touches away from Forte. I made a comparison of the packers getting a good RB that it would be bad for the packers because it would take throws away from Aaron Rodgers. From this over dramatic analogy I am disagreeing with you saying an added talented Wide Receiver will not make the Bears offense worse like an added talented RB will not make the packers worse. You also said that Cutler will force passes because they don't have another Wide Receiver. I said they still have the draft to get another Wide Receiver. Don't ******* tell me to reread. You learn to rewrite or clarify what you said.

I never said the bears offense would be worse, you need to re-read what I said

Reaction score
I never said the bears offense would be worse, you need to re-read what I said
Saying that this move will backfire is implying that the offense will do worse. Like if I said Aaron Rodgers will do bad this year is implying that the offense will not do good. We can't read your mind over the internet. You have to explain our thoughts in so many words. Why do you think so many players have to explain themselves after a Tweet. It is because they do not know how to explain their thought in so many characters. If your going to say what you feel, carefully explain what you mean to avoid the confusion ********. Maybe you should re-read what you said

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying that this move will backfire is implying that the offense will do worse. Like if I said Aaron Rodgers will do bad this year is implying that the offense will not do good. We can't read your mind over the internet. You have to explain our thoughts in so many words. Why do you think so many players have to explain themselves after a Tweet. It is because they do not know how to explain their thought in so many characters. If your going to say what you feel, carefully explain what you mean to avoid the confusion ********. Maybe you should re-read what you said

I never said anyone would do bad either, that is now the 2nd time you have put words in my mouth. So like I have stated, I think you need to re-read what I wrote.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Our consistancy on offense is going to continue to give other teams fits. I hope our defense steps up.

Reaction score
I never said anyone would do bad either, that is now the 2nd time you have put words in my mouth. So like I have stated, I think you need to re-read what I wrote.
Maybe you need to re-read my last statement. Backfire has a negative connotation that comes with it. Backfire doesn't equal a good thing. When you are saying that a move will backfire, and it will take touches away from their best player, you are implying that things will go wrong because backfire has a negative connotation. Like I said clarify your statement to avoid confusion and to explain exactly what you mean instead 0f you saying "re-read my statement again" to try to pull out meanings that you think are there but are really not.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the guy can focus he's pretty damn good. As Packers fans, we'd wish the opposite obviously. If Cutler stays healthy, they could be 10-6 team, get to divisional round depending on who #4 and #3 seeds are.