Is B.J. Raji a lock in Green Bay now?

NormalSizedMidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe everyone else already figured this out but are we going to get Raji now? Every new mock I look at seems to have him falling to us. (not that mocks mean that much...but)
1.The Lions seem to be set on taking a LT and maybe are in the Cutler sweepstakes picking up Cutler or any other QB that might be traded in the same deal.The Lions seem to be set on taking a LT and maybe are in the Cutler sweepstakes picking up Cutler or any other QB that might be traded in the same deal.
2.Rams seem to be looking LT too after the whole Pace thing.
3.Chiefs need LB or DE because they can't rush the passer a lick.
4.Seattle just traded for DT Cory Redding and if Chiefs take Orakpo or some other DE this is where Curry goes.
5.Browns-Shaun Rodgers
6.Bengals-OT/WR?
7.Raiders-Crabtree or something really fast guy. BTW Michael Johnson did work at his pro day today. Ran like a damn WR.
8.Jags-Sort of have a concern here, but if something freaky goes on and Crabtree/Stafford is here or maybe they are actually high on one of the other receivers they could take them. Or trade down.
9.then us.....there's also the possibility of trade ups as well but it still doesn't happen a ton in the first 10 picks anymore.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well as we all should know anything is possible with Ted Thompson and nothing is a lock. especially in the draft. we could go a number of positions. It is possible he could be the pick but we could pick elsewhere or even trade down. Best player on the board is the approach for him. Do we know whos the best on their board? no. that we will never know. so until we actually draft the player I wont believe anything.

Also Bengals need alot of help just about everywhere. Cant really circle a need over another

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tkpckfan said:
Well as we all should know anything is possible with Ted Thompson and nothing is a lock. especially in the draft. we could go a number of positions. It is possible he could be the pick but we could pick elsewhere or even trade down. Best player on the board is the approach for him. Do we know whos the best on their board? no. that we will never know. so until we actually draft the player I wont believe anything.

Also Bengals need alot of help just about everywhere. Cant really circle a need over another
Agreed. But the hard thing about predictions is that what a team should do doesn't count. Cincinatti has one of the worst defenses, they should draft D. And they drafted a lot of WRs last draft. And they have 85. But they just might get Crabtree.
Reading all that's posted on Packers.com, I've noticed that:
1) They don't talk about their secondary.
2) They are very high on Pickett at NT.
"Noting his confidence in Ryan Pickett as the No. 1 nose (but also that the depth behind Pickett remains to be settled), Moss emphasized the difficult job this unsung player performs in the base defense against the run." http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/03/14/1/
3) When they mention the OLB, they allways say we will get more players.
"That leads to the next most critical spot, the outside linebackers, whose production is needed at a high level. Aaron Kampman is making the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker to start on one side, while players like Brady Poppinga, Jeremy Thompson, Brandon Chillar, Desmond Bishop and perhaps an offseason acquisition through free agency or the draft will compete to start on the opposite side." http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/03/14/1/
"This is Greene's first foray into full-time coaching, but from what he's seen so far, Capers has no doubt he'll be an asset to Kampman and the rest of the outside linebacker group, which will include Brady Poppinga, Brandon Chillar, Jeremy Thompson, Jason Hunter and any yet-to-be-determined offseason acquisitions." http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/03/17/1/

This leads me to think we'll draft an OLB for sure. It doesn't mean we will spend a 1st round pick, but It's just my impression. Also, I can conclude that we will add an NT for depth purposes...
Again, all of this could mean nothing.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
I'll be surprised if Raji is still on the board when we pick at #9. :(

But if he is still there, the choice is obvious - TT must take him. He is the best lineman, offensive or defensive that may be available at #9. The LTs will definitely be off the board except maybe Smith. Raji is a Haloti Ngata-type NT to build your D-line around.

Regardless of how thet feel about Pickett, Ryan has grown weak in the knees & may be too fragile to handle the bulk of the NT duties. If Raji falls to #9 he is the perfect remedy to what ails Pickett. He should be a Packer for sure.

If not, Jenkins will fit nicely into the secondary as the eventual leader of that group. Orakpo, Brown & Maybin are certainly obvious choices to fill immediate needs at OLB but they're not impact players like Raji or Jenkins. I hope either of those guys wind up in GB before any of those 3 DEs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Regardless of how thet feel about Pickett, Ryan has grown weak in the knees & may be too fragile to handle the bulk of the NT duties. If Raji falls to #9 he is the perfect remedy to what ails Pickett. He should be a Packer for sure.
I totally agree, I've said before that I don't think our DT's can even play in the NFL. Maybe Pickett can be a backup, but that's all.
But the thing is, our staff thinks he is the starter. But like I said, that doesn't discard Raji in the 1st nor indicates we will take OLB in the 1st...

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
Pugger said:
I'll be surprised if Raji is still on the board when we pick at #9. :(

But if he is still there, the choice is obvious - TT must take him. He is the best lineman, offensive or defensive that may be available at #9. The LTs will definitely be off the board except maybe Smith. Raji is a Haloti Ngata-type NT to build your D-line around.

If not, Jenkins will fit nicely into the secondary as the eventual leader of that group. Orakpo, Brown & Maybin are certainly obvious choices to fill immediate needs at OLB but they're not impact players like Raji or Jenkins. I hope either of those guys wind up in GB before any of those 3 DEs.

How do you know he is the obvious choice? I mean to you and others yeah maybe it is. But different guys are higher or lower on draft boards. We don't know where ted has Raji on his draft board. Just because we like him and others do and he might be top 5 on one gms board doesn't mean he is on teds. he could be 5th on one and 9th on ours. we don't know and we wont know until the draft.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think Orakpo would be more of a difference maker on our D, but I feel like he'll be gone.

That said, Raji would be a fantastic pick at 9. Our run D was horrid last year. He'd help out a lot.

Also, to everyone saying Pickett prevents us from picking Raji, Capers is playing a hybrid 3-4, doesn't that mean occasionally he'll need 2 DT's in the game on certain downs? I think Pickett would still get plenty of playing time, though I think Raji would be the starter in 3-4 situations.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen 2 mock drafs that have us taking Aaron Curry. For me, he's the best player in the draft and would be the choice if available. But is he an ILB in the 3-4 or can he play the OLB spot?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
I've seen 2 mock drafs that have us taking Aaron Curry. For me, he's the best player in the draft and would be the choice if available. But is he an ILB in the 3-4 or can he play the OLB spot?
I really don't think Curry wil fall to us. He's just way too good to fall to 9. If Detroit doesn't take him, someone like Cleveland will.

Of course, if Cleveland takes Curry, then maybe Orakpo will fall to us. That'd be sweet.

Curry is my dream scenario. If we had the first pick, i'd take him. Orakpo being my second choice, Raji my third.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's my fav. player in this draft, but is he a demarcus ware? or at least can he play in tha spot? I see him more as a Ray Lewis. That being said, I think Ray Lewis is the second best Linebacker of all time behind LT, and think he could play any Linebacker position when at his prime.

Reaction score
orkapo is more like a demarcus ware size wise hopefully talent wise now but i hope detroit ends up picking a qb because for omse reason i dont like rajj the clips on youtube hes just destroying teams that are not even good

onquack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B.J.Raji would be an awesome pick but the one position that seems to be a concern to me is DE. Who starts and where are the back-ups? I personally would not be surprised to see TT take a DE like Tyson Jackson at the 9 position. No one really knows how the draft will play out as some team will take a player way earlier than expected. But I don't think Raji, Orakpo, or Curry will be there. Maybe Malcolm Jenkins, but is TT interested?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NormalSizedMidget said:
Maybe everyone else already figured this out but are we going to get Raji now? Every new mock I look at seems to have him falling to us. (not that mocks mean that much...but)
1.The Lions seem to be set on taking a LT and maybe are in the Cutler sweepstakes picking up Cutler or any other QB that might be traded in the same deal.The Lions seem to be set on taking a LT and maybe are in the Cutler sweepstakes picking up Cutler or any other QB that might be traded in the same deal.
2.Rams seem to be looking LT too after the whole Pace thing.
3.Chiefs need LB or DE because they can't rush the passer a lick.
4.Seattle just traded for DT Cory Redding and if Chiefs take Orakpo or some other DE this is where Curry goes.
5.Browns-Shaun Rodgers
6.Bengals-OT/WR?
7.Raiders-Crabtree or something really fast guy. BTW Michael Johnson did work at his pro day today. Ran like a damn WR.
8.Jags-Sort of have a concern here, but if something freaky goes on and Crabtree/Stafford is here or maybe they are actually high on one of the other receivers they could take them. Or trade down.
9.then us.....there's also the possibility of trade ups as well but it still doesn't happen a ton in the first 10 picks anymore.

I Highly Doubt that Raji falls that far, but. Some things to Add. Chiefs got Glenn Dorsey last year, hard to see them doing it two years in a row., the Browns, are a wild Card, Shaun Rogers is a 50/50 player, half the plays he's not a factor, Bengals have so many needs its not funny, and from there down its hard to picture him falling past the Jags. However, if he's there maybe trade offers will come in. I'd not be opposed to trading back, adding some young depth on O-line and at LB DT DE and Corner.

onquack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a question; If Seattle at #4 takes the BPA could Raji be that guy? They lost Bernard and replaced him with Cole but is that enough knowing Mora was a defensive coach? Thoughts anyone?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches are cocky, and often think they don't need as much talent at their side of the team because they can coach up their players. Dungy allways got offense at Indy, for example.
And even if they take BPA, they'll go with Crabtree, or, if my projections are right, Curry. Kansas did draft Albert, but he's a guard, and with either Monroe or Smith still available, I think they'll take one of them... If Raji is taken, it'll be either for cincinatti or oakland. I don't believe Jacksonville wants him, as they have a stud at DT in Henderson, and they didn't keep Stoud when they had the chance. Besides, they have much more pressing needs, at WR, CB and specially OL...

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think seattle takes Crabtree or Maclain. They've had WR woes for three or more years. That or Oline can't go wrong for them.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji would be huge addition to our defense. What a lot of you might fail to realize is that Football is won and lost along the line of scrimmage. This guy dominated on his level and also in the Senior Bowl. There is no question he would make the biggest difference if he falls to us. If for nothing else but to provide insurance against an injury to Pickett or just as a rotation. If we don't have a backup for this position then watch how bad this defense is. A few years ago I watch Ray Lewis demand that Baltimore draft a big strong defensive tackle if they want him to be able to play at the level he is capable of, after which they drafted Ngata. Green Bay hasn't had an interior defensive lineman that played at a Pro Bowl level in quite a while. If you want to see how good our Linebackers and Defensive Backs are or can be then build the line. The same goes for the Offense. Build the Offensive line and you can put almost any running back behind there and watch them run.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday that if, for whatever reason, Detroit doesn't take Stafford, there's a very good chance Seattle takes him. It's the only reason I kind of want Detroit to take Curry or Sanchez or someone. If Seattle doesn't take Raji, I feel like he'll be there for us.