Is Al Harris on the PUP list?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haven't heard that yet, not sure when they have to declare those things by.
starks will be on it though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greenbaypressgazette.com | Contest | Insiders Blog » Harris could miss opener, but make 53-man roster

Harris could miss opener, but make 53-man roster

Posted by Mike Vandermause August 29th, 2010, 3:38 pm

No one came out and directly said it, but reading between the lines, the best guess is cornerback Al Harris won’t be ready for the regular season opener against Philadelphia, but might be ready to play sometime before Week 7.

I asked coach Mike McCarthy if he has ruled out Harris for the season opener. He replied: ”I haven’t ruled him out to making our 53-man roster.”

Harris has missed all of training camp after having reconstuctive knee surgery late last year. If the Packers place Harris on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, he won’t be eligible to play until Week 7, which is Oct. 24 against Minnesota. McCarthy seemed to indicate he would like Harris on the roster to start the season. That way, even if Harris can’t answer the bell vs. Philadelphia, he would be available sometime in the first six weeks.

“Al is doing well,” said McCarthy. “Al is doing very well. He is hitting the targets that they are looking for with the medical staff. He has made a lot of progress.
“He’s getting close.”

Harris didn’t shed much light on when he might be ready to play. When asked about his status, Harris said: ”Just waiting man, not going to step out there too early, not going to step out there too late, so just got to do what I gotta do for me to personally feel right and make the organization feel right. I won’t step out there and ruin my reputation or I won’t step out there to do anything detrimental to the team. We’re just taking it day by day. See how it feels and listen to the knee.”

When asked if it would be disappointing to start the season on the PUP list, Harris said: ”No. Honestly at this point in my career or what not I just want to be healthy and I want to be the same guy that left the field in Week 11. That’s all I’m concerned about.”

Harris suffered his knee injury on Nov. 22 against San Francisco at Lambeau Field.
He said “there’s always hope” when asked about the possibility of playing in the season opener.
“Through this whole process everybody’s been extremely supportive and they pretty much told me to do what I need to do to get right,” Harris said. “At this point it wouldn’t be fair to them or me to do anything else but that. That’s how I’m taking it. When I feel good enough to play, then that’s when you guys will see me.”
My translation: Harris doesn’t want to return too early, which likely means the season opener. And he doesn’t want to return too late, which likely means Week 7. Thus, he should be back in either late September or early October.

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This makes me a bit concerned about Packers CB situation. Woodson being the player he is, will play to his best but is getting a bit up there in age. Will HE hold up?

This is the time when the Packers need a few DBs waiting in the wings. I have not seen that however as the Packer corners have not impressed that much in this preseason. Williams has been exposed, Bush, underwood, etc have been suspect.

I really hope Tramon steps up and does the job he needs to do. Better than what he showed last year and this preseason... We are going to need it!

Go Packers!

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont mind if he is injured as long he can play most of the regular season and post season :D

I agree. I just want AH to come back when he is 100%. Those are some major shoes to fill, but I'm confident that the necessary adjustments can be made... at least through week 4. Facing McNabb in week 5 without AH wouldn't be good at all though...

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al will not be on the PUP list. considering he's so close id think they'd rather eat 2 games of him benched than 6

p.s. mcnabb is overrated. he was the darling of the east coast bias. he's a shinier daunte culpepper. he was hot during the huge+running qb fad and since he hasnt been able to lean on westbrook he hasnt done so great.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Al will not be on the PUP list. considering he's so close id think they'd rather eat 2 games of him benched than 6

p.s. mcnabb is overrated. he was the darling of the east coast bias. he's a shinier daunte culpepper. he was hot during the huge+running qb fad and since he hasnt been able to lean on westbrook he hasnt done so great.

uhhh, If McNabb leaned on Westbrook they'd both get injured...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
damn, he wont be able to play till earliest is week 6? Thats Miami Oct 17th, the NEXT week is the 1st Minny game

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Harris was placed on the PUP list? Yes, I know he's been unable to pass his physical, but I was under the impression that he was close to being cleared for practice. Now, he can't even play until the seventh game of the season! This is devastating news, Thompson better be scanning the waiver wires next week, because they'll need cornerback help!

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i suppose if theyre being cautious, its better to have a 100% harris at week 7 than a 80-90% reinjure it early and be done. also, we dont really play anyone with a passing game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts