PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman remains optimist
Coach says Packers not a team on decline
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Sept. 9, 2005

Some pundits and prognosticators look at the Green Bay Packers and see a team that has seen better days. Mike Sherman, the coach of the Packers since 2000, begs to differ. In an interview Friday night with Bob McGinn, the Journal Sentinel's beat writer, Sherman touched on the season ahead and some of the other events in what has been a tumultuous year for him.

Q. On paper, how does this team compare to others that you've coached? Is this a team on the decline, as some experts seem to think?

A. When we came in in 2000 a lot of experts thought that team was on a decline and we won nine that year, then 12 and 12 the following two years. No, I don't think this team is on the decline. I think it's a young team that will get better as the season goes.

Q. Countless opposing coaches and scouts have said for years that as long as Brett Favre is quarterbacking the Packers they can beat any team in the league. Is that still true?

A. I don't think anybody, as good as Brett is, can beat anybody else by himself. He has to have a supporting cast, and I believe he does. Certainly, Brett is a huge component in the formula for success.

Q. Despite the presence of Favre, is it ludicrous at this point to mention Super Bowl and Packers in the same breath?

A. I don

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said Cullen Jenkins improved. If Cullen WAS a guy who could outperform Hunt easilly, what is he NOW!?

Answer: starting defensive tackle (i hope...)

Some of those questions were tough. good find,Traxx

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'll give Sherman this, he sure knows how to answer questions. It seemed like some of those were a no win answer for him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q. Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shanahan, Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid are the only active coaches who have been at their current posts longer than you have. Are you confident of your ability to prepare a team and match wits on game days with every coach in the league?

A. I think we

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts