Im not really unhappy about this loss.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am unhappy we lost, just not how we lost. Save for several plays (bush breaking contain, Cobb up the middle, etc.) this was a good hard fought game.

We lost several guys, we made several bad plays, but this was one of the better "played" games we have had in a while. We just gave up chunks at the wrong time.

With the way this season went, we seemed snake bitten right out the gate (losing our starting LT in Family Night) and finished it the same way with Shields, Bakhtiari, etc. going down.

We fought hard. We had our moment last week against the bears, and its hard to win in the playoffs even if healthy. We were the opposite of that.

I have no complaints, save for that the glutton of injuries probably saved Capers job.

If we can find a way to NOT put half our starters on IR for half the year next season, we can be dangerous.

I think we made strides this season on OL, RB and STs (when receiving the ball). I think we need to look hard and long at Safety and LB next season on the field, and off the field we need a training staff change, ST coordinator and Defensive coordinator.

Either way, we still won the North. We repped our division well, and we put up a great game.
Its never fun to lose as time expires, but I would rather have a fight to the end than what we saw last season.

We could have beat this team. We will next year!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, the worst part of this loss and the last few playoff ones, is I think all those teams were good enough to win it all.

I rarely got that feeling during the Sherman era.

Churd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very well said, sir. And injuries or not I think Capers has to go. We need a fresh outlook on defense and new talent at LB and S. If we can stay relatively healthy next season I really like our chances at another title.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, the worst part of this loss and the last few playoff ones, is I think all those teams were good enough to win it all.

I rarely got that feeling during the Sherman era.

The Divisional Game against the Eagles that ended with the infamous 4th and 26. I think that team could of gone all the way.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note, at first I laughed at FrankRizzo's rants about injuries, thinking it was hyperbole. Your freaking players were just dropping like flies. It was crazy. What is it, the weather?

I think the Packers need to reassess their athletic training program. Over training during the season? Not training enough in the off season?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note, at first I laughed at FrankRizzo's rants about injuries, thinking it was hyperbole. Your freaking players were just dropping like flies. It was crazy. What is it, the weather?

I think the Packers need to reassess their athletic training program. Over training during the season? Not training enough in the off season?

I've gone back and forth with my thinking about whether the Packers need a new training staff. Many injuries like torn ACL's and broken bones are largely not preventable, but some like muscle pulls are.

That being said, MM evaluated everything this past offseason to help prevent injuries and it still didn't work. That seems like bad luck to me.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not happy about the fact that our players keep getting injured. Let me ask you who on San Francisco limped off the field and stayed out of the game. The physical side of Football is where we keep getting beat. Yes we made strides this year but until these guys can stay on the field, next year will end up being the same as this year. Maybe getting some younger faster talent in will help. How does Carolina get to be such a good defense and we get worse.

Why do we have to commit to keeping players like Bush who even though he played better on defense this year doesn't realize that he's playing Kaepernick? Leaves his feet and relinquishes outside contain. A very basic mental error. I for one am tired of it. Stay the Hell down in a controlled rush and contain the outside edge.

For the life of me why do we play Man against Kaepernick and then play zone against Cutler? Cutler doesn't Run does he? This is on you Capers...I really wish that you can explain this philosophy. Maybe another offseason of tutoring and teaching. Our players get hit low like Neal on a block to take him out of the game and no one on our team is retaliating to take their guys out the same way.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It certainly doesn't help when you have linemen going for guys' knees. I expect that kind of **** from Shanahan, but I thought Harbaugh was classier than that... Er, wait... never mind.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not something anyone has been able to put their finger on, but it has to be training. The training staff in place is the only thing you can look at. They have been here since day one of the injuries.

The fact that we have bad awkward angle type injuries is one thing. The fact that they are beset prior to that by a litany of hamstrings, ankles, groins, etc. is another.

We seem to have more than our fair share, and have for 3-4 years now. Time for a change.

Also, ST is a mess on Punt coverage. Other areas are mediocre or better (which says something), but Punt coverage is crap.

Defensive playcalling is just bad. Downright horrible at times. We play zone in man situations. We blitz and never get into the backfield (literally sending 7 guys vs 5 linemen and no one gets into the backfield).
We leave not gaps but GIANT holes in the secondary, and usually play straight zone and let moderately ok WRs rund through our defense.

I can honestly say, my expectation is that when a pass is thrown, its up to the QB to overthrow the WR or the WR to flat out drop a pass to get that stop.
Thats a major issue.

I agree that we need someone to come in and shake it up. Doesnt need to be fireworks, just a scheme change that shakes it up and makes these guys play.

If I had a genie and just 1 wish, it would be a new DC.

ALSO, on a sidenote... I think its time MM hands the OC reigns off. It seems like since Philbin left, we get cogged down and may overthink offensive plays at many times.

We need someone who has JUST that responsibility on him. MM should be HC. We need to get someone on both sides calling plays without MM dictating it from his emotional swings.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GoPGo: 536636 said:
It certainly doesn't help when you have linemen going for guys' knees. I expect that kind of **** from Shanahan, but I thought Harbaugh was classier than that... Er, wait... never mind.

Seriously? That's a routine block that happens to every edge rusher around the league on a quick, 3-step drop. The Packers do it as well. Any team that employs quicks drops does it. He saw the block and had time to react. It wasn't a dirty play. That's the purpose of going low...to be get the defender on the ground so that he can't get his hands up and bat down the quick pass...Football 101.

Losing sucks so nothing I can say will make it 'not suck'. Part of being a passionate fan. But you guys played tough. We had the ball last so we were very fortunate in that respect. If you had it last, you would have probably won. You defintely played well enough to win. Hyde makes that int and its a totally different convo were having here. Lacy adds another dimension to your offense that's scary for opposing defenses to have to prepare for in the future. And having the greatest QB on earth means, barring injury, you'll always be a threat to win it all. Thompson is one of the best in the business so the Pack will be fine.

We will have to be better and continue to improve to keep this little winning streak going because I know you guys arent going anywhere. I'm certain of it actually. We're no juggernaut. We have our flaws just as you guys do and it will take Baalke and JH to keeping their collective foot on the gas to keep us relevant. Our offense defintely needs to improve by leaps and bounds if we want to stay in contention and keep this team from being a afterthought. Any level-headed fan who actually studies the game knows despite the losses, the Packers play us well and scare the **** out of us. A couple of plays here and there and we could very well be on the opposite end of this current streak.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, we were competitive the entire game, the brain farts on the big kaepernik runs were what did us in IMO

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, we were competitive the entire game, the brain farts on the big kaepernik runs were what did us in IMO
Those were Capers' brain farts. Hopefully that means he's GONE. Why we weren't playing a zone underneath is beyond rationale.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
several thoughts.

This loss isnt on capers, with what he had everyone performed well and we didnt get lit up. We missed a late int that would have won us the game.

The offense looked terrible tonight

Carolina has great defensive players bc they have been picking in the top 10 for a long time now

I'd love to see this team when its healthy.

I didnt see much of cobb on the 3 WR sets if memory serves me correctly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We came very close to winning and we had Bush and Newhouse playing a big chunk of the time. Hyde hangs on to the INT and we win.

Next season we will have back: Bulaga, Hayward, CM3, Finley (hopefully), and a few others. A new draft class; and a few of this last draft or two will probably take a step up as well.

The future has lots of potential.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I'm pretty heartbroken right now. I'll be over it in a few days, but it's hard for me to accept right now that Packer football is no more until September.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
several thoughts.

This loss isnt on capers, with what he had everyone performed well and we didnt get lit up. We missed a late int that would have won us the game.

Carolina has great defensive players bc they have been picking in the top 10 for a long time now

The front seven maybe, but the "legion of whom?" is only par, if that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
several thoughts.

Most of Carolina's defense are not first rounders -- in fact, there are several undrafted free agents among them. Carolina has one starter on defense that was picked in the top 10. Luke Kuechly. We have 2, AJ Hawk and BJ Raji. When you get a Luke Kuechly with your top 10 pick it's going to have a big impact. When you get mediocre players like Hawk and Raji, you'll build a mediocre defense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of Carolina's defense are not first rounders -- in fact, there are several undrafted free agents among them. Carolina has one starter on defense that was picked in the top 10. Luke Kuechly. We have 2, AJ Hawk and BJ Raji. When you get a Luke Kuechly with your top 10 pick it's going to have a big impact. When you get mediocre players like Hawk and Raji, you'll build a mediocre defense.

Fair enough.

Star being as good as he is, very much contributes to Luke's great season as well as the team success.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those were Capers' brain farts. Hopefully that means he's GONE. Why we weren't playing a zone underneath is beyond rationale.

The play call was perfect on Kaepernick's last run. Got pressure on him with a linebacker waiting up the middle and nobody got open, but Bush messed it up and got too far inside.

I can tell you are not a Capers fans, which is justified, but don't let that blind you from what actually happened on the field.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not happy about the fact that our players keep getting injured. Let me ask you who on San Francisco limped off the field and stayed out of the game. The physical side of Football is where we keep getting beat. Yes we made strides this year but until these guys can stay on the field, next year will end up being the same as this year. Maybe getting some younger faster talent in will help. How does Carolina get to be such a good defense and we get worse.

Why do we have to commit to keeping players like Bush who even though he played better on defense this year doesn't realize that he's playing Kaepernick? Leaves his feet and relinquishes outside contain. A very basic mental error. I for one am tired of it. Stay the Hell down in a controlled rush and contain the outside edge.

For the life of me why do we play Man against Kaepernick and then play zone against Cutler? Cutler doesn't Run does he? This is on you Capers...I really wish that you can explain this philosophy. Maybe another offseason of tutoring and teaching. Our players get hit low like Neal on a block to take him out of the game and no one on our team is retaliating to take their guys out the same way.

We keep Bush because he's a very good special teams player. He's the last DB on the field who wouldn't be out there with Shields and Hayward healthy. It's hard to think any team is six deep at CB.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Me either. Only reason being I never even expected us to make the postseason in the first place.

We definitely need to get this injury thing fixed. The string of preventable injuries is just dumb. We need new fitness staff first and foremost. Secondly, Capers needs to go.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I'm pretty heartbroken right now. I'll be over it in a few days, but it's hard for me to accept right now that Packer football is no more until September.
I keep flip flopping on my feelings on this loss.
On the one hand this was our best game against the 40Whiners in a long freakin time.
On the other I am getting sick and tired of us going from being a team that never lost a Lambeau playoff game to being a team that now has a curse of losing every Lambeau playoff game.
I want to see us win so badly a PO game at Lambeau to lift that bloody curse.
Now we have to wait till next year and it's a long friggen wait yet Christmas is just around the corner. LOL

Members online

Latest posts