I'm intrigued about the situation Flynn is in contract wise.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the guy can play in our system, I think he's proven that. Sometimes he's flashy and Aaron Rodgers-esque as he showed last night, granted it was against a porous Dallas Cowboys defense. And other times he's simply a game manager that minimizes bad decisions, which is what you expect from a back-up QB.

Whatever your opinion is of Flynn he's proven that he's a winner in our system and worthy of a backup role. On the business side of the coin, how does someone in his position get handled? The guy was traded to two different teams earning starting QB money, and then shown the door just as quickly for not coping with their respective systems. Now he's back with Green Bay, demonstrates his abilities within our system, but we KNOW now that he can't play anywhere else, so we have all the playing chips.

So is it safe to say we can lock in our future backup QB at a good price for a long time to come? I for one would be much more comfortable going into next year knowing Flynn is our backup. The kid shook off the rust of being thrown into mid-season while taking virtually no reps all year, and has kept us in the playoff hunt.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He has a bank account with prob 8 million in it from his last 3 jobs.

I say he doesnt need the $, and he knows he fits here..He may accept what they give him

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a bank account with prob 8 million in it from his last 3 jobs.

I say he doesnt need the $, and he knows he fits here..He may accept what they give him

Exactly. If the term "system qb" fits a player it's Matty "ice" Flynn. I actually think the guy can be a decent starter if he got a "real" shot.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the Packers want to keep Flynn, they are going to have to pay him around 1.5-2 mil a year. The real questions is that do MM and TT think it is going to be worth paying a back up that much?

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I think if the Packers want to keep Flynn, they are going to have to pay him around 1.5-2 mil a year. The real questions is that do MM and TT think it is going to be worth paying a back up that much?
Absolutely. It doesn't matter what happened in Buffalo, Oakland or Seattle. There are enough teams out there in need of a QB that someone will pay this guy all over again. He knows his shelf life. He'll take the money from whoever pays the most.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I actually think the guy can be a decent starter if he got a "real" shot.
Why don't you think he got a real shot in Seattle? They guaranteed him $8M in his first season. He got a real shot and Wilson beat him out for the job in TC. Then Oakland traded for him and signed him to a new deal, converting most of his $3.25M first year salary into a signing bonus (that included $2M guaranteed from the second year of his Seattle contract). So he got about $3M guaranteed from the Raiders who were in need of a QB and again he was beaten out in TC, this time by Terrelle Pryor. I don’t know what the hell happened but two teams in need of a QB paid him a lot of money, even by NFL standards and he didn’t win either job. But I don’t think it was because he didn’t get a real shot.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams could be taking a look at him and putting his agent's number into their phones.
I really like the guy and am happy for him that he is getting what he's been itching to do that other teams wouldn't let him do. Play and win games.
For me, having Air-Run back is going to be bittersweet. Great for us, yet bad for Flynn.
If he wants to be a starter that is one thing. If he doesn't mind being a bench warmer the majority of the time while being on the team, that's another.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Flynn isn't a hard worker. Doesn't spend much time studying film. No evidence or links handy to back this up, though.

I hope that he and the Packers can agree to something for the next couple of years so that other more pressing issues can be focused on (Safety, ILB, etc.).

Packers still need to keep rolling the dice on QBs, though. There should always be 1-2 developing QBs on the practice squad or roster.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if TT wants to think about that because he's afraid of jinxing Rodgers. :rolleyes:
C'mon man!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about what Flynn did anywhere else..he's been solid here, TT needs to keep him here. I'm not on the Tolzien bandwagon like some of you are. Flynn is PROVEN in MM's system.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Flynn isn't a hard worker. Doesn't spend much time studying film. No evidence or links handy to back this up, though.

I hope that he and the Packers can agree to something for the next couple of years so that other more pressing issues can be focused on (Safety, ILB, etc.).

Packers still need to keep rolling the dice on QBs, though. There should always be 1-2 developing QBs on the practice squad or roster.

The bad work ethic was brought up when he was released by the Bills? Something about likes to play ping pong or something.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't you think he got a real shot in Seattle? They guaranteed him $8M in his first season. He got a real shot and Wilson beat him out for the job in TC. Then Oakland traded for him and signed him to a new deal, converting most of his $3.25M first year salary into a signing bonus (that included $2M guaranteed from the second year of his Seattle contract). So he got about $3M guaranteed from the Raiders who were in need of a QB and again he was beaten out in TC, this time by Terrelle Pryor. I don’t know what the hell happened but two teams in need of a QB paid him a lot of money, even by NFL standards and he didn’t win either job. But I don’t think it was because he didn’t get a real shot.

I pointed it out before Oakland GM McKenzie was a Ted man..He took on Flynn, knew all about Flynn..

So why did Reggie allow Flynn to walk six months after surrendering a fifth-round pick in next year's draft and $6.5 million in guarantees to acquire him from Seattle. The deal also included a conditional fifth-round pick in 2015, but it was negated now that there's no chance of Flynn being on Oakland's roster in 2014.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131007/raiders-flynn-cut-pryor-mckenzie/#ixzz2nfLWHsxZ

Flynn did something wrong in Oakland..

I am okay with him being the back up here, but something stinks of Flynn being cut

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pointed it out before Oakland GM McKenzie was a Ted man..He took on Flynn, knew all about Flynn..

So why did Reggie allow Flynn to walk six months after surrendering a fifth-round pick in next year's draft and $6.5 million in guarantees to acquire him from Seattle. The deal also included a conditional fifth-round pick in 2015, but it was negated now that there's no chance of Flynn being on Oakland's roster in 2014.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131007/raiders-flynn-cut-pryor-mckenzie/#ixzz2nfLWHsxZ

Flynn did something wrong in Oakland..

I am okay with him being the back up here, but something stinks of Flynn being cut

Well maybe Flynn doesn't fit the type of offense the guy's in Oakland, Seattle, or Buffalo are trying to run. Am i the only one noticing a trend here? Terell Pryor, Russel Wilson, and EJ Manual? all athletic mobile guy's with good rb's behind them. All three of these teams run some version of the read option in a pro-style offense. Flynn is not a read option guyat all.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bad work ethic was brought up when he was released by the Bills? Something about likes to play ping pong or something.
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=32161

GREEN BAY – Matt Flynn isn’t sure who would have said it, but the Green Bay Packers new/old backup quarterback took exception to the claim that he didn’t work hard after signing a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks in March 2012.

“Sources said the major reason Seattle gave the job to Russell Wilson in 2012 and then traded Flynn to Oakland was commitment,” McGinn wrote. “Flynn, according to sources, became a 9-to-5er and, not only was he outperformed, he also was outworked. One Seahawks teammate did say Flynn was a master on the ping-pong table. In Oakland, the combination of Flynn's mediocre work habits and an awful showing Sept. 29 in a start against Washington led GM Reggie McKenzie to cut him.”

FF: I think it's just BS rumors.
Why would he not be working at getting the starting job that he wants?
As for playing ping pong: Probably during his free time.
What was he doing? Playing the janitor while the team is out there practicing?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't get a shot? That's pretty ridiculous to think the teams paid him that much money and wouldn't want to see him succeed.

I think the better question is, do we draft a QB to back up Rodgers or keep Flynn?

Reaction score
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=32161

GREEN BAY – Matt Flynn isn’t sure who would have said it, but the Green Bay Packers new/old backup quarterback took exception to the claim that he didn’t work hard after signing a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks in March 2012.

“Sources said the major reason Seattle gave the job to Russell Wilson in 2012 and then traded Flynn to Oakland was commitment,” McGinn wrote. “Flynn, according to sources, became a 9-to-5er and, not only was he outperformed, he also was outworked. One Seahawks teammate did say Flynn was a master on the ping-pong table. In Oakland, the combination of Flynn's mediocre work habits and an awful showing Sept. 29 in a start against Washington led GM Reggie McKenzie to cut him.”

Well, Forest Gump managed to juggle both football and ping pong and be successful at them.
^^^^ :) ^^^^ A Smilie Face fits perfectly!

Sorry, couldn't resist.......But boy, was I sure proud of Flynn yesterday. Horrible Dallas "D" or not, he got the job done:tup:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well maybe Flynn doesn't fit the type of offense the guy's in Oakland, Seattle, or Buffalo are trying to run. Am i the only one noticing a trend here? Terell Pryor, Russel Wilson, and EJ Manual? all athletic mobile guy's with good rb's behind them. All three of these teams run some version of the read option in a pro-style offense. Flynn is not a read option guyat all.
That would make sense except for one thing: You can bet Seattle and Oakland studied Flynn's every preseason and regular season snap he took before guaranteeing all that money (no idea what Buffalo had in mind). They knew they weren't getting a read-option QB.

As for whether not he sticks around that probably depends upon what offers, if any, he gets from other teams. If he and Tolzien are going to be in TC, I hope they don't draft a QB. It was an ugly way to do it, but I think the backup QB position has been taken care of going into next season if both Flynn and Tolzien stick around. And I think Tolzien has a very good chance of being a good backup if Flynn leaves.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So say Flynn wins our backup job next year, and knowing TT and MM's prior hesitancy to keep 3 QB's on the roster at a time, does Tolzien clear waivers to make it to our practice squad?

I would doubt it. I know he turned down an offer this year to go to Cleveland; as long as GB matched the money, but again I don't think the chances are great he'd do that again in the future. MM has said on many occasions he thought Tolzien would make a great developmental QB and even publicly wondered after Matt Flynn's early struggles if he pulled the cord on Tolzien too soon.

I know this is far away and is largely predicated on his training camp and preseason play next year..but talk about a tough decision upcoming..

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. If the term "system qb" fits a player it's Matty "ice" Flynn. I actually think the guy can be a decent starter if he got a "real" shot.
Can we please call him by his name "Matt?" "Matty" is not a good nickname for a guy and it sounds too much like "Maddy" which brings images of Sibil Shepard from Moonlighting. Let Falcons fans use that for their girly man.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't doubt those reports out of Seattle. I wouldn't doubt the Oakland situation played out similarly.

Flynn was benched in Oakland after a horrible preseason performance, then released a couple weeks later. That performance included something like 7 sacks, a couple of fumbles and a pick in PS week 2 (?). I imagine it looked a lot like his performance with us against Detroit. Between that game and being released, it was reported Flynn was sitting out with a sore elbow.

Now, teams do not summarily cut a guy they just signed to be the starter because of one bad game and a little elbow tendonitis. He had to have done something else to **** somebody off. Not preparing properly sounds like a plausible answer. It could also be that Oakland figured out they needed a QB who could run for his life for the next couple of years as they rebuild the team, and Flynn was not that guy. But they had already paid him and somebody has to play backup...but they said they wanted to avoid distractions. Being called a "distraction" is usually code for something not very good in the attitude/preparation department.

Further, the poor preparation thing might explain Flynn's second half heroics this year. Once he gets the lay of the land and the juices flowing, Matty Nice, the gamer, kicks in. I don't know if it's the case with Flynn, but there are just some guys who have a hard time internalizing X's and O's on a white board, get frustrated and then bored. Half of our defense might fall in this category. Maybe Flynn just needs to get on the field and feel his way around for awhile against most defenses?

Anyhow, I don't think anybody's going to offer him starter or compete-for-starter money because nobody is going to put him in that role. I think Ogsponge has it right...the $1.5 - 2.0 mil/yr. range for 2 or 3 years sounds about right.

Will we pay that? When your head coach publicly weeps over your performance (in a good way), the odds are pretty good you'll be back. Going 5 for 5 in the red zone in one half, no matter how bad the opposing defense might be, makes me want to weep. That's probably some kind of record...the 5 for 5 and the weeping.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can we please call him by his name "Matt?" "Matty" is not a good nickname for a guy and it sounds too much like "Maddy" which brings images of Sibil Shepard from Moonlighting. Let Falcons fans use that for their girly man.
But... Matty McFly...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope....i like Matty. Already to many Matts in the league...only two Mattys haha.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope....i like Matty. Already to many Matts in the league...only two Mattys haha.

Sorry, it's still retarded and a sissy-boy name. He doesn't go by that name so there's no reason to call him that anymore than calling our starting QB Aary Rodgers. "Matty" is what mommy might call a 5 year old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts