I'm Conflicted

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On one hand, the Packers all of a sudden have a shot at the playoffs. The Motor City Kitties are being the Motor City Kitties and trying their best to screw this season up. Da Bears are still Da Bears, meaning they suck. As a result, despite a 1-4 record over the last five weeks, we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

On the other hand, I'm not excited about the prospects of making the playoffs. This is an average team with all the injuries and the way our defense has played. I have little hope that we can beat SF and even Carolina (though, I'm cautiously optimistic we could beat Carolina - young team in its first playoff game bit). And I have even less hope that we could then make a run against the likes of Seattle and NO on the road. I get the whole chip, chair, chance bit. But, given how this team (in particular the defense) has played, I lean towards wanting to miss the playoffs so that we can improve our draft position and (hopefully) get a difference-maker that can contribute immediately.

I feel like a Viking fan, which sickens me. But, I also think this isn't an unreasonable stance as a Packers fan.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Ever hear the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?
You have no idea if Rodgers won't go down next year with a more serious injury. Enjoy the season as it is. Don't conflict about getting a better draft pick - there isn't a single guy in that locker room that thinks that way. I don't care if they lose in the first round, I don't care if they don't even make it. Just show me some Packer football and I'm good.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea if Rodgers won't go down next year with a more serious injury.

Sure Rodgers could get hurt next year. I don't understand what that has to do with this year.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
You have no idea if Rodgers won't go down next year with a more serious injury. Enjoy the season as it is. Don't conflict about getting a better draft pick - there isn't a single guy in that locker room that thinks that way. I don't care if they lose in the first round, I don't care if they don't even make it. Just show me some Packer football and I'm good.
Every team is different and every player is different but I don't think that a player on Washington is from a different planet than a player from Seattle. Having said that, there were, without a doubt, players on the indiginousinhabitantsofthepotomicriverbasin that gave up sunday and didn't try. Not saying that is happening in Green Bay, but when you use a superlative (isn't a single guy) it makes it easy to show exceptions.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Sure Rodgers could get hurt next year. I don't understand what that has to do with this year.
You're not too good with following a train of thought without a map are you 13?
OP said he was conflicted with Packers trying to win the SB versus Rodgers healing up. I pointed out that the team already has the wins to perhaps make it to the playoffs and form there it's anybody's guess.
I pointed out that we have a chance this year and there is no guarantee the same chance will exist next year. Got it now 13?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Every team is different and every player is different but I don't think that a player on Washington is from a different planet than a player from Seattle. Having said that, there were, without a doubt, players on the indiginousinhabitantsofthepotomicriverbasin that gave up sunday and didn't try. Not saying that is happening in Green Bay, but when you use a superlative (isn't a single guy) it makes it easy to show exceptions.
Well Gee Bus, you can prove that a player gave up? Think about this for a moment. Those singular guys will not be employed next year will they? It's not like you can say a team in general gives up. Every single stat is used at FA time to bolster the argument for a payday.
Further, an NFL team has a roster of 53 players right? You want to tell me there's more than a single guy on any team that's giving up? It's too competitive for jobs in that business. I think you want to see and so you do. There isn't anything to support your contention.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not too good with following a train of thought without a map are you 13?
OP said he was conflicted with Packers trying to win the SB versus Rodgers healing up. I pointed out that the team already has the wins to perhaps make it to the playoffs and form there it's anybody's guess.
I pointed out that we have a chance this year and there is no guarantee the same chance will exist next year. Got it now 13?
BR said about getting into the playoffs. Never mentioned the Super Bowl or Rodgers healing up. And what you just posted was never said in the post I quoted. Need my road map?

Last edited:

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Well Gee Bus, you can prove that a player gave up? Think about this for a moment. Those singular guys will not be employed next year will they? It's not like you can say a team in general gives up. Every single stat is used at FA time to bolster the argument for a payday.
Further, an NFL team has a roster of 53 players right? You want to tell me there's more than a single guy on any team that's giving up? It's too competitive for jobs in that business. I think you want to see and so you do. There isn't anything to support your contention.
You are correct. I can't prove my point any more than you can prove your point, but there was a whole lot of consensous during the game, as well has Yahoo's post game summary that some of the players gave up.

" ''I didn't have the players ready to play,'' Shanahan said.

PASSION: Of course, players shouldn't have to rely solely on coaches for motivation. The Chiefs have playoffs on their minds, and it showed. The Redskins have nothing to play for, and it showed."

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
BR said about getting into the playoffs. Never mentioned the Super Bowl. And what you just posted was never said in the post I quoted. Need my road map?
Isn't the idea of going to the SB when you go into the playoffs?
Yes, I need a road map of your thinking, it doesn't seem to follow the posts here. You just kind of "oh, look there's a kitty" make statements.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
You are correct. I can't prove my point any more than you can prove your point, but there was a whole lot of consensous during the game, as well has Yahoo's post game summary that some of the players gave up.

" ''I didn't have the players ready to play,'' Shanahan said.

PASSION: Of course, players shouldn't have to rely solely on coaches for motivation. The Chiefs have playoffs on their minds, and it showed. The Redskins have nothing to play for, and it showed."
Consensus from who? And you take Yahoo as any credible source of information? Did they also say it at Fox or CBS or even NFL.com?
Shanahan's quote quite neatly sums up the flaw in your thinking. He didn't have them ready to play. They didn't give up Bus. Pro football players play and forget the whole passion point. The 'Skins lost to a better team and doesn't it always look like the better team was more motivated? But it's not how it is, those guys are playing for huge paychecks, they're idiots of they let a few games of uninspired performance ruin that.
They've played their whole lives to get this opportunity in high school, college and now the pros and they just thing: Oh my, no playoffs, I'm tossing in the towel.
Hey Bus, guys who think like that never make it to the pro level. The guys that make it to the pros know they have to perform.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Playoffs? Ask just one question. Can this team beat Seattle in Seattle? I know the any given Sunday argument. But could they?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't the idea of going to the SB when you go into the playoffs?
Yes, I need a road map of your thinking, it doesn't seem to follow the posts here. You just kind of "oh, look there's a kitty" make statements.
I'm done with you and your snarky insulting posts. There's no need for the combative nature of your posts. :tdown:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm done with you and your snarky insulting posts. There's no need for the combative nature of your posts. :tdown:
Yes there is a need... to balance the silliness of other posts. If not for a few thinkers here this could/should be renamed Packer*****forum.com.
Else we might just as well give the monkeys the keys to the zoo.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playoffs? Ask just one question. Can this team beat Seattle in Seattle? I know the any given Sunday argument. But could they?

I agree the Seahawks are a better team. In fact, if we make the playoffs, I might say the Packers are the worst team on the NFC side (i think we're better than the eagles though). But the best team doesn't always win.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I agree the Seahawks are a better team. In fact, if we make the playoffs, I might say the Packers are the worst team on the NFC side (i think we're better than the eagles though). But the best team doesn't always win.
True. Packers and Lions can both make the playoffs. But whoever goes, my thinking is the road to the Super Bowl goes through Seattle. And that is a tough place to win if you are visiting. Not impossible, but tough.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much what BR was getting at. Sure we'd all like to think that the Packers could make a magical run like they did in 2010. But we are injured and the players that are in there aren't performing (choose the reasons) very well right now. Even if we were totally healthy, going up against Seattle in that noise chamber would be a tough task.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts