If the Mafia takes over the Packers - Mock

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish Mafia that is:

Coming Back
Finley (Done Deal!), Wells (talking with other C is just a back up plan - or maybe message to motivate Wells), Collins and Woodson (restructure)

Grant - he's somewhere here, between coming back and moving on.

Parting ways:
Clifton, Bush, Lee, Driver (sorry buddy), and Wynn

Young guys to step up:
House, DJ Smith, Neal, and Cobb

DRAFT

TRADE: Packers tag and trade Matt Flynn and 4th and a 5th to the Browns for a 1st (#22).

TRADE: Packers trade #22 and a 3rd to move up just a bit with Cincinnatti to land the last of the immediate impact DL.

1st Round #16 Michael Brockers 5T 6'6" 325 Packers benefit by the outstanding performances by Cox and Poe at the combine and they get drafted ahead of Brockers, leaving Brockers for us. Brockers has some concerns in that he is young and he also put on 20 lbs prior to the combine. I have him take the weight off and play the 5T

TRADE: Packers trade #28 and a 6th to Philly for #46 and #51 in the 2nd round. Reed is on the hot seat and desperate for results quickly.

2nd Round #46 Kendall Reyes 5T . I'm overdoing it with the 5Ts but we have to do something, and if we overdo a position, so be it. Toss some talent in there, make em' compete, and lets see what we get. Reyes was very impressive at the Senior Bowl and I believe that is important to TT.

2nd Round #51 Shea McClellin OLB Boise State 6'3" 260. Passing on a few of the bigger named guys irks more than a few Packer fans. I have questions about a few of the players rated ahead of Shea. I think Shea is a complete package - not elite at anything, but is good all-around. May be gone by this pick - saw a few mocks where he is still mid 3rd, so maybe he is here at 51.

2nd Round #60 Josh Norman CB Costal Carolina 6'1" 190. I think all of our CBs regressed last year. Woodson due to age; Tramon due to injury; and Shields due to apathy. Both Shields and Tramon were playing better towards the end of the season, so I expect them to come back better. But we need some insurance and Woodson isn't exactly a spring chicken. I think House is going to do just fine, but we need more depth and competition. Josh is from a small school and will need a season on the bench learning the speed of the game and the system. Perfect. We will need him in '13 when Woodson retires. Read someone say that he isn't a good tackler - this would be a major concern. We already have enough poor tacklers.

#3rd Round, #92: Part of trade with Cincinnati.

4th #1 Part of trade with Cleveland

4th #2 Brandon Taylor S LSU 5'11" 201
Good size, ball skills, and good tackler. Adding defensive players who are noted as 'good tacklers' should be stressed.

4th #3 Nate Potter OT Boise State 6'6" 298 : Wasn't good at start of the season but had progressed to a point where he was. Kind of projecting that he is just developing now and will continue to improve. Can play inside or out. Has frame to put on some more weight.

5th Part of trade with Cleveland
6th Part of trade with Philly
7th B.J. Coleman QB Chattanoga 6'5" 220 lbs. Injured his sr. year after having a promising junior year (215/382/2,997/26/13)
7th a Addrian Hamilton OLB Prarie View A&M 22 sacks as a senior. Draft him. Put him on the practice squad. See what he has in 2013.
7th b Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana Another practice squad player.
7th c Brandon Bostik WR Newberry. Intriguing size speed ratio - 6'4" 230lb 4.5 40

The last 4 are all practice squad material. Players from small programs who have the physical tools and lots of success but did not have the coaching or the competition to fairly judge their capability. If they have the heart and desire, I would give them the chance to work on the practice squad for a year to really figure out if they belong in the NFL.

This will be '09 all over again. A huge DL load followed by a very athletic OLB. Lets hope they provide 1/2 the impact that Raji and Matthews did, this defense would be awesome.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish Mafia that is:

Coming Back
Finley (Done Deal!), Wells (talking with other C is just a back up plan - or maybe message to motivate Wells), Collins and Woodson (restructure)

Grant - he's somewhere here, between coming back and moving on.

Parting ways:
Clifton, Bush, Lee, Driver (sorry buddy), and Wynn

Young guys to step up:
House, DJ Smith, Neal, and Cobb

DRAFT

TRADE: Packers tag and trade Matt Flynn and 4th and a 5th to the Browns for a 1st (#22).

TRADE: Packers trade #22 and a 3rd to move up just a bit with Cincinnatti to land the last of the immediate impact DL.

1st Round #16 Michael Brockers 5T 6'6" 325 Packers benefit by the outstanding performances by Cox and Poe at the combine and they get drafted ahead of Brockers, leaving Brockers for us. Brockers has some concerns in that he is young and he also put on 20 lbs prior to the combine. I have him take the weight off and play the 5T

TRADE: Packers trade #28 and a 6th to Philly for #46 and #51 in the 2nd round. Reed is on the hot seat and desperate for results quickly.

2nd Round #46 Kendall Reyes 5T . I'm overdoing it with the 5Ts but we have to do something, and if we overdo a position, so be it. Toss some talent in there, make em' compete, and lets see what we get. Reyes was very impressive at the Senior Bowl and I believe that is important to TT.

2nd Round #51 Shea McClellin OLB Boise State 6'3" 260. Passing on a few of the bigger named guys irks more than a few Packer fans. I have questions about a few of the players rated ahead of Shea. I think Shea is a complete package - not elite at anything, but is good all-around. May be gone by this pick - saw a few mocks where he is still mid 3rd, so maybe he is here at 51.

2nd Round #60 Josh Norman CB Costal Carolina 6'1" 190. I think all of our CBs regressed last year. Woodson due to age; Tramon due to injury; and Shields due to apathy. Both Shields and Tramon were playing better towards the end of the season, so I expect them to come back better. But we need some insurance and Woodson isn't exactly a spring chicken. I think House is going to do just fine, but we need more depth and competition. Josh is from a small school and will need a season on the bench learning the speed of the game and the system. Perfect. We will need him in '13 when Woodson retires. Read someone say that he isn't a good tackler - this would be a major concern. We already have enough poor tacklers.

#3rd Round, #92: Part of trade with Cincinnati.

4th #1 Part of trade with Cleveland

4th #2 Brandon Taylor S LSU 5'11" 201
Good size, ball skills, and good tackler. Adding defensive players who are noted as 'good tacklers' should be stressed.

4th #3 Nate Potter OT Boise State 6'6" 298 : Wasn't good at start of the season but had progressed to a point where he was. Kind of projecting that he is just developing now and will continue to improve. Can play inside or out. Has frame to put on some more weight.

5th Part of trade with Cleveland
6th Part of trade with Philly
7th B.J. Coleman QB Chattanoga 6'5" 220 lbs. Injured his sr. year after having a promising junior year (215/382/2,997/26/13)
7th a Addrian Hamilton OLB Prarie View A&M 22 sacks as a senior. Draft him. Put him on the practice squad. See what he has in 2013.
7th b Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana Another practice squad player.
7th c Brandon Bostik WR Newberry. Intriguing size speed ratio - 6'4" 230lb 4.5 40

The last 4 are all practice squad material. Players from small programs who have the physical tools and lots of success but did not have the coaching or the competition to fairly judge their capability. If they have the heart and desire, I would give them the chance to work on the practice squad for a year to really figure out if they belong in the NFL.

This will be '09 all over again. A huge DL load followed by a very athletic OLB. Lets hope they provide 1/2 the impact that Raji and Matthews did, this defense would be awesome.

Amish,

Nice Post! Lots of detail and thought put into it. Nice FA stuff. I think the chance of franchising and trading Flynn is about 10%. We can speculate and hope for it though, but thats probably about as far as it will go.

I really like all your draft picks except for your 1st round pick of Michael Brockers. Saw some game tape of him and his combine tape. Wasnt impressed with either. Yes, he is young and not fully grown into his body and far from peaked out. He seems a boom/bust type and very risky, IMO. Talented yes, but waaaaay too big of a risk for me. Good job though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts