If not Lynch.....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In round 2 you can land a lot of quality backs. Brian Leonard, Chris Henry, and Antonio Pittman all come to mind. Even Michael Bush as well if he truly is 99% ready to go. So we're not "screwed" but Lynch is a better prospect than all of the names I stated.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would worry a hell of a lot more about some other positions on the team before I start worrying about a running back. I think we can do decent with what we have. Or at least try it.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After spending much of today going over many many mock drafts and listening to all the draft "experts" on radio and TV, I am resigned to the probability that we are taking Lynch with pick #16.

All of a sudden I don't feel very good about that pick.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After spending much of today going over many many mock drafts and listening to all the draft "experts" on radio and TV, I am resigned to the probability that we are taking Lynch with pick #16.

All of a sudden I don't feel very good about that pick.

I'm more resigned to the probability that Ted passes on Marshawn Lynch because of his character concerns (the same reason we passed on Chad Jackson last season) and take either Reggie Nelson or RObert Meachem

I'm not worried if we land a back round 2...the talent dropoff from Nelson/Greg Olsen/Meachem to a guy we could take at those positions Round 2 (Zack Miller, Eric Weddle, (some 2nd roudn WR?)) is a lot greater than the dropoff from Marshawn Lynch to a solid RB prospect Round 2...I like Antonio Pittman, Brian Leonard and Tony Hunt...Hunt and Leonard would make for a solid two-back system combining with Morency, good change of momentum backs

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
What is not to feel good about with that pick, if he is picked by us that is. Ted & company had him in and I am sure asked everything they need to ask. He has been a productive back and a good reciever out of the backfield.

But as the draft gets closer, I really want the Packers to draft Griffin out Texas. The more I research him and hear what the draftnicks have to say, I think he is going to be a productive safety in this league for years to come.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But as the draft gets closer, I really want the Packers to draft Griffin out Texas. The more I research him and hear what the draftnicks have to say, I think he is going to be a productive safety in this league for years to come.

That's the same reason I want to draft Reggie Nelson; I think Griffin will end up being a pass coverage liability, that's what I've read so far at least...I think Collins can still play strong safety and him next to Nelson would be very potent for a long time to come

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is not to feel good about with that pick, if he is picked by us that is. Ted & company had him in and I am sure asked everything they need to ask. He has been a productive back and a good reciever out of the backfield.

i feel basically the exact same way as you. Lynch is good, but i really like Griffin and would feel great if Ted picks him.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that I don't like the idea of TT selecting Lynch, I just don't think he's going to be there when the Packers pick. The NFL is all about RB by committee and the value of drafting one is much better than signing one in FA. So with only two real clear cut first round RBs, I think we'll see either Buffalo taking Lynch or some other team is going to really want a RB and be willing to get in front of GB to get him.

That said, Plan B is to take one of the safeties, or one of the WR's, or one of the CBs, or take a reach on Olsen. And then, we get our RB in round 2.

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is very likely that Lynch will be taken before the 16th pick, like Lare stated. Another option would be a WR, but I think the Packers depth at running back is the same as at wide receiver.

The WR position is crammed with Driver,Jennings,Ferguson,Martin,Bodiford along with a few more no-name wideouts. There are four RBs to choose from. If we choose a wideout, we are just adding to the depth and the same will happen if a running back is drafted.

Im trying to figure out whether it would be better to try to stop adding to the depth of a position or bring in a high-profile skill player.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In round 2 you can land a lot of quality backs. Brian Leonard, Chris Henry, and Antonio Pittman all come to mind. Even Michael Bush as well if he truly is 99% ready to go. So we're not "screwed" but Lynch is a better prospect than all of the names I stated.

I agree, porky88. Those four are good backs. I would take Bush.

Reaction score
Are we in trouble if we don't draft Lynch? No.

In fact, I'll go out and say we already have our starting RB on the roster: Vernand Morency.

He is the prototype back for the Zone Blocking scheme, entering just his third year, and at 26-27 he is coming into his prime. He'll also have a chance to spend the entire off-season with the Packers, thus getting reps in mini-camps and training camps that he missed out on last year. He should have a better handle on the O at the start of this year than he had at any point last year is what I'm trying to say.

I think we'll target a day 1 back, probably in round 2. HOWEVER, the RB we target will be to compliment Morency's style... someone like Tony Hunt (you could argue he may slip to the 3rd round).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk that Buffalo is going to make a move on M. Turner on Saturday.
That will make things very interesting because Lynch will most likely be there if the above were to happen.
I have a hunch that TT is STILL concerned about Lynch's health after getting burned on the health issue with Murphy and I don't blame him.

If Lynch had a back problem and nagging injury history in college how do we expect to keep him healthy in the NFL? He hasn't even gotten hit yet like he's getting ready to.

All I know is we hear MM talk about the importance of "availability" all the time in his interviews and that is probably going to be the biggest concern they have with taking this guy with the first pick.

That's what I liked about A. Green. If he could drag himself out there he would play. I'm not sure this kid has that in him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
That's what I liked about A. Green. If he could drag himself out there he would play. I'm not sure this kid has that in him.

But in reality that is what this kid has done, he hasn't missed alot of time, he has bucked up and played on. Ankles bothered him, he went out and got the same shoes that Vick wears to cure that issue. I won't be pissed if he was our pick, to me he is a gamer.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I think we'll target a day 1 back, probably in round 2. HOWEVER, the RB we target will be to compliment Morency's style... someone like Tony Hunt (you could argue he may slip to the 3rd round).

I'll argue that someone with the ability of Tony Hunt has no business in the 3rd round, but if we get him there I'll jump for joy...he is what we've missed since Najeh Davenport was here/healthy...Hunt and Brian Leonard both posess the Mike Alstott qualities of just plowing through the line with no regard for human life...we don't have anyone close to that on our tema, i agree completely

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id like to see us draft olsen in the first if hes still there.

Draft, Brian Leonard in the second. leonard fills both the full back and running back spots if he needs to. That kid played on a substandard team and pretty much carried that team to greatness. If we get him in the second round it will be a steal and he will be a mike alstott type guy for us. put him and morency together and i think youve got a nice tandem.

micheal griffins stock has risen greatly over the last few weeks, but after a crappy year at texas, he was originally gonna be a third round pick. i dont think he will fall to the third, but man if he did what a draft.

1. Olsen
2. Leonard
3. Griffin.

that is the ultimate draft... it probally could never happen with griffins stock soaring, but its still nice to dream.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first choice is a Nebraska RB with speed who has done well in a zone blocking scheme (sound familiar? :):

RB Brandon Jackson (5-10, 210, 4.54 40)

Strengths: He's a shifty back with excellent balance and body control. Displays the ability to stop and start with great ease. Shows good vision and possesses the initial burst to quickly hit the crease he sees developing. Runs with outstanding pad-level and always seems to be under control. He is a slippery runner that doesn't seem to take a lot of big hits and elusive enough to consistently make defenders miss one-on-one in space. He shows good toughness as an inside runner and will keep his legs driving after contact. Also displays enough burst to consistently turn the corner as an outside runner. He lacks elite speed but he does have a second-gear in the open-field and can beat some defensive backs in a foot race. He's a reliable underneath receiver and he's shifty and dangerous after the catch. He has been durable and he doesn't have much mileage on his legs.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal game experience and is a bit unproven. Has looked extremely promising in spurts but he has never proven capable of carrying a full load as the premier back. He still needs to get a bit bigger and stronger. He runs hard and shows some power but he's not the type that will run over defenders or push the pile much in short-yardage situations. He possesses adequate-to-good speed, but does not show elite second-gear in the open-field. He has room to improve as a route runner. While he has been reliable catching the ball, he has a tendency to let it get into his pads and needs to learn to catch with his hands far more frequently. Needs to improve his technique and awareness in pass pro. Also has had some fumbling issues in the past.

Summary: Jackson's biggest weakness is his lack of experience. He will need to improve his bulk and strength in order to hold up as a premier back in the NFL, and he also lacks elite top-end speed. However, Jackson is an instinctive, shifty and tough runner with the size-potential to emerge as a good starter in a zone-blocking scheme. In our opinion, Jackson is one of the more underrated prospects in the 2007 class and he could become a steal from the second-or-third round range of the 2007 draft."

He should be there for our third round (although we may want to try and nab him late in the second - maybe trade down?).

My next choice would be more of a complimentary back to Morency:

RB Tony Hunt (6-2, 233, 4.55 40)

Strengths: Possesses good size and is a powerful downhill runner. Runs with good pad level, is at best when he gets 20+ carries and can wear defenses down over the course of a game. Has excellent lower body strength, keeps legs driving and excels at picking up yards after initial contact. He is a tough, aggressive and competitive runner. Has shown good durability throughout his career. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air, rarely drops passes that should catch and can be a productive short-yardage receiver. He had his best two seasons as a junior and senior and continues to improve with more experience.

Weaknesses: Does not play as fast as his timed speed would indicate. He does not display a second-gear to run away from defenders in the NFL and he will struggle to consistently turn the corner as an outside runner. Lacks ideal lateral mobility and doesn't show great elusiveness in the open field. He is a solid underneath receiver but he's not much of a threat after the catch.

Summary: Hunt is a powerful back with good size and a tough, downhill style of running. He displays adequate hands as a receiver and has developed into an effective blocker in pass pro. While he is solid in most areas, Hunt lacks any one special quality. He has good timed speed for his size but does not display a second-gear as an open-field runner. He also fails to make defenders miss in space. In our opinion, Hunt has a chance to emerge as a decent starter in a power-run scheme at the next level, but it's more likely he levels off as a good backup. He had an excellent senior season, so his stock is on the rise. Expect Hunt to come off the board in the third round of a weak running back class in 2007.

He should be there in round 3 if we stay.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id like to see us draft olsen in the first if hes still there.

Draft, Brian Leonard in the second. leonard fills both the full back and running back spots if he needs to. That kid played on a substandard team and pretty much carried that team to greatness. If we get him in the second round it will be a steal and he will be a mike alstott type guy for us. put him and morency together and i think youve got a nice tandem.

micheal griffins stock has risen greatly over the last few weeks, but after a crappy year at texas, he was originally gonna be a third round pick. i dont think he will fall to the third, but man if he did what a draft.

1. Olsen
2. Leonard
3. Griffin.

that is the ultimate draft... it probally could never happen with griffins stock soaring, but its still nice to dream.

Well, they are saying watch for offensive fire-power picks by the Pack in the early rounds so this is as good as any.

OP
OP
P

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if they will be as good as Lynch. Hmmmm only running back that looks appealing is Pittman.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll pitch in commentary for tony hunt once again...everyone says Leonard is a fullback...not gonna argue but Hunt can be converted I think...I always remember him being a great pass blocking back, and he's big enough that if he learns technique he most certainly be an NFL fullback

I don't think he'll ever start due to lack of speed but he can be of value by getting 10-15 carries and goal line duty

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonard is not a true blocking fullback, hes not a true running back.
His appeal is that he does a little of both, i wouldnt like to see him drafted and be given sole responsibility to be a starter at either position but as a utility player he'd be awesome, just like Eric Weddle would be on defence

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts