If Niners visiting fans want to keep bringing it up....

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't brag about the game earlier this year, but I do believe it has ALL the relevance for Sunday. It seems, based on what I've read, that because of that game the Packers spent the whole off-season figuring out how to beat the 49ers (and teams like them). You just signed TWO 49ers QBs. Personally, I believe Green Bay has every reason to be the winner in this game. It's not like weather is a problem for the road team at the Stick. If Green Bay doesn't win this, based on how much they seem to have put into it this year (again, based on what I've read), not only will I be surprised, but if I were a Packer fan I'd be quite nervous about this year's Super Bowl chances.

You'll be surprised if the Packers don't win this game? That's an interesting statement given that the 9'ers give the Packers serious match-up problems along both sides of the line; a running game that controls the clock and surely a top 5 defensive unit all the way around. Signing two QB's cut by the 9'ers, in my opinion, provides little or no advantage and any talk of such an advantage is little more than the product of some ESPN talking heads trying to justify their existence.

Fact of the matter is that the 9'ers were just a better team all the way around last year - and Harbaugh's staff made McCarthy's staff look like high school coaches in the two head-to-head match-ups. I am not convinced that the "talent differential" has closed any but, feel that for this game, McCarthy/Capers are going to be more on top of things.

Finally, I think that you're not going to find many seasoned Packers fans talking about "Super Bowl chances". There are going to be those "on-line fans" who prattle about such things, all that I can tell you is that those of us in northeastern Wisconsin are talking about winning the North first and foremost. Oddly, when the Pack won the Super Bowl following the 2010 season, they didn't even win the North division - still and the same, that's what I've been hearing in NE Wisconsin.

Almost forgot ... a road game is a tough win even if you're playing Cleveland.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
?...If Green Bay doesn't win this, based on how much they seem to have put into it this year (again, based on what I've read), not only will I be surprised, but if I were a Packer fan I'd be quite nervous about this year's Super Bowl chances.

It's not how you start the year that matters. It's how you finish the year. For evidence, take a look at nearly every SB run lately, including the 2010 Packers.

Plus, the random nature of injuries plays a huge role in a team's success. Not just which players on your own team, but which players on your key opponents... And when they occur... How many starter games did SF lose last season? How many will you lose this year??? It matters.

And, lastly, the growth of the young guys matters. Rookies at the start of the season typically add far less value than they can at the end of the season. This can dramatically change a team's fortunes. 49er fans should know this well with your recent late season success with Kaep. The Packers will be starting several rookies tomorrow, including one at the key position of LT.

So, tomorrow, I hope the Packers win but am realistic and (like most analysts) expect them to lose. In my mind, their odds of making the post season remain the same either way.

It's a long season. One game at a time.

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. Because losing the first game of the season means a team can't go on to a Super Bowl? It's game 1 of 16, against one of the early favorites to win it all, in their house.

If the Packers lose this game, but look competitive, look like they can be an in-your-face, physical, bully of a team, I'll be happy. Okay, maybe not happy, but I'll feel damn good about our chances. This team is young, very young. They're only going to get better as the season progresses.

No, I was wrong about this, here's why:

Green Bay's run defense looked MILES better than last season, and their running offense looks like it has some potential. Rodgers is still Rodgers. I think if this were 2011, Green Bay would be another 15-1 capable team. But the NFC has gotten a lot better, and that's just going to prevent any team from dominating in this conference. Green Bay is legitimate, and it wasn't because of some great game plan. Somehow you guys improved your DL tremendously.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
No, I was wrong about this, here's why:

Green Bay's run defense looked MILES better than last season, and their running offense looks like it has some potential. Rodgers is still Rodgers. I think if this were 2011, Green Bay would be another 15-1 capable team. But the NFC has gotten a lot better, and that's just going to prevent any team from dominating in this conference. Green Bay is legitimate, and it wasn't because of some great game plan. Somehow you guys improved your DL tremendously.

Johnny Jolly and Datone Jones, had a lot to do with it, but most of it was the fact we played zone about 50% more than average and kept the pocket contained, instead of letting gore run up the middle and kaepernick run outside whenever they pleased, Kaepernick legitmately beat us with his arm, and nothing else, he had a great game.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Johnny Jolly and Datone Jones, had a lot to do with it, but most of it was the fact we played zone about 50% more than average and kept the pocket contained, instead of letting gore run up the middle and kaepernick run outside whenever they pleased, Kaepernick legitmately beat us with his arm, and nothing else, he had a great game.

we beat ourselves...or...errr....capers did, yeah he helped beat us. No adjustments at all in the secondary. soft zone has more holes than swiss cheese and they exploited it, I am going to be the one to say TOLD YA SO.

Latest posts