If Niners visiting fans want to keep bringing it up....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can brag about beating us all they want to but it has no relevance on Sunday. None.
Let's focus on the present.
If they really want to play that game of living in the past, then point out how the Packers have beat the Niners more times in the playoffs.
Watching the Holmgren/Favre/White era Pack beat the Niners on the way to their first SB was a thing of beauty.
And they did what the Niners didn't do. Get the job done and win the SB.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Playoff-history-of-49ers-vs-Packers-4187810.php

And we have beat the Niners just more times period.

http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=12&opp=27

Green Bay Packers lead series 34-28-1

And 5 SB wins? So what? Packers have 13 championship wins. So the Niners aren't even half as good.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can brag about beating us all they want to but it has no relevance on Sunday. None.
Let's focus on the present.
If they really want to play that game of living in the past, then point out how the Packers have beat the Niners more times in the playoffs.
Watching the Holmgren/Favre/White era Pack beat the Niners on the way to their first SB was a thing of beauty.
And they did what the Niners didn't do. Get the job done and win the SB.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Playoff-history-of-49ers-vs-Packers-4187810.php

And we have beat the Niners just more times period.

http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=12&opp=27

Green Bay Packers lead series 34-28-1

And 5 SB wins? So what? Packers have 13 championship wins. So the Niners aren't even half as good.

I actually like you guys. Sans a few Pack fans who get butt hurt, you guys actually take the trash talk in stride.

I also like the Packers. To be more accurate, I respect them. Even aside from your Championships, the Packers have an incredibly rich history. The NFL would cease to be the NFL without them. Your Favre team gave the 49ers fits in the '90s. You've earned the right to call yourselves 49ers rivals.

Seahawks fans, on the other hand, don't get me started. The most ignorant, unearned arrogance over a team who could fall into the ocean and nobody outside of Seattle would care.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Kap will be to the Packers
What Favre was to the 49ers in the 90's

FACT...

you had better pray that he does not sophmore slump or that team have not figured him out now that more study film exists.

??? remember the God given "wild cat" formations from several years back that Miami came out using and using effectively? It worked for a very short time before it was nippedd in the bud.

How about that "run and shoot" offense that worked so well for the Lions long ago? Yeah, teams put that crap to bed as well.

This pistol formation crap and read option combo is a fad that will be done and gone in a relatively short time frame. Plus, your gangsta QB may just end up on the IR list due to getting smoke checked from that dumb crap.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
A day of reckoning is coming. you're already hard against the cap, and a LOT of contracts are ending VERY soon.

So much false hope indeed

yeah, cant wait till all those FAT contracts come to an end and they have to resign Mr Gangsta QB to an overly bloated contract.....enjoy last year, this year, and maybe the next, but I doubt we will see much of the 49ers for many years after that. Keep adding on overpriced vets as well, we like that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
yeah, cant wait till all those FAT contracts come to an end and they have to resign Mr Gangsta QB to an overly bloated contract.....enjoy last year, this year, and maybe the next, but I doubt we will see much of the 49ers for many years after that. Keep adding on overpriced vets as well, we like that.
They'll still be good, Kaep is nice, but they'll never be this good again. They put all their eggs in one basket to push for 6.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like you guys. Sans a few Pack fans who get butt hurt, you guys actually take the trash talk in stride.

I also like the Packers. To be more accurate, I respect them. Even aside from your Championships, the Packers have an incredibly rich history. The NFL would cease to be the NFL without them. Your Favre team gave the 49ers fits in the '90s. You've earned the right to call yourselves 49ers rivals.

Seahawks fans, on the other hand, don't get me started. The most ignorant, unearned arrogance over a team who could fall into the ocean and nobody outside of Seattle would care.
I appreciate the civil rivalry and banter that I can have with those Niners fans who come here out of respect.
You get back what you give.
It keeps things interesting.

And for the record I was a Niners fans during the Montana/Walsh/Rice era.
My dad was from the Bay area and a fan so that rubbed off on me and they were fun to watch.
Both teams have a similar history.
Bill Walsh did what Vince Lombardi did. Turn a team around from losers into winners.
Both teams have SB repeat wins.
Niners went back to the SB after a long drought. Only dif is, that we won.

Now to focus on the present and we will see what happens on Sunday.
It is expected that some fans will agree to disagree on who we think the winner will be.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

FACT...

I doubt your facts.

Leading a team to victories for a fraction of a rookie season does not necessarily equate to a long term success story. Just ask Tebow.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

FACT...

So Kap will have many many many records and a long career like Favre did? WOW....didn't know it was possible that you could see the future.

Favre is/was 20X the QB that kap will ever be....and I don't even like Favre (anymore).

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pistol formation crap and read option combo is a fad that will be done and gone in a relatively short time frame.

Read-option gone in a short time? Perhaps. Probably even likely. The pistol formation is likely going to show up more and more. It's nothing but an alignment between shotgun and under-center. Both literally (regarding where the QB lines up) and philosophically (you can run about 90%, 95% of your standard I-formation running plays.)

If you want to split hairs, the Packers ran something Pistol-esque near the end of the Mike Sherman era. Favre was a yard or two closer to the center in a shotgun, with the backs at a normal depth. This put the backs behind the quarterback.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FACT...

I feel like some people don't really know what a "fact" is. People who post something which fits the very definition of an "opinion" and then follow it up with the word "FACT" like them saying it makes it so, crack me up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Read-option gone in a short time? Perhaps. Probably even likely. The pistol formation is likely going to show up more and more. It's nothing but an alignment between shotgun and under-center. Both literally (regarding where the QB lines up) and philosophically (you can run about 90%, 95% of your standard I-formation running plays.)

If you want to split hairs, the Packers ran something Pistol-esque near the end of the Mike Sherman era. Favre was a yard or two closer to the center in a shotgun, with the backs at a normal depth. This put the backs behind the quarterback.

Formation similar maybe, but did favre ever fake hand-off on a design run for the QB......multiple times.....with multiple different design runs? Nope. QB bootleg is all you could ever bet on back then, and that in itself was rare.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Formation similar maybe, but did favre ever fake hand-off on a design run for the QB......multiple times.....with multiple different design runs? Nope. QB bootleg is all you could ever bet on back then, and that in itself was rare.
Pistol and R/O are separate and independent of each other. The latter will be gone soon, the former is going nowhere. You just indicted the R/O while calling it the Pistol. Pistol is a formation that has nothing to do with QB runs

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was from the Bay area and a fan so that rubbed off on me and they were fun to watch.

You do realize in this neck of the woods, the Bay area is that area circumscribed by Door, Brown, Oconto and Marinette Counties, right? ;)

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I wasn't gonna respond because every season is different...

...but seriously? After that play the score for the remander of the game was 45-24....and 7 of those Packer points were in garbage time with the Niners playing prevent.

Its all good to talk trash....but posting the above video when you consider the rest of the game is kinda hollow.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

...but seriously? After that play the score for the remander of the game was 45-24....and 7 of those Packer points were in garbage time with the Niners playing prevent.

Its all good to talk trash....but posting the above video when you consider the rest of the game is kinda hollow.
That int shook Kaep up bad. it wasn't until he started running that he recovered

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

Don't crush my hopes and dreams :(

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That int shook Kaep up bad. it wasn't until he started running that he recovered

Right.

444 total yards including a sweet pass to Gore right after the INT. 4 Total TDs.

Yup...shook up all right. SMDH.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, but again, Pistol Formation is NOT the same as an option play. Yes, the read option works nicely from the pistol, but so does nearly every other play in the playbook. The read-option can be run from a standard shotgun formation as well, the running back action and fake are just different. (Inside hand off action.)

The Packers working in the Pistol (sans R/O) wouldn't surprise me at all. The Packers already have a a play action pass out of shotgun. Single back next to Rodgers moves in front off and across Rodgers and the back does his inside hand off motion. Rodgers puts the ball in his gut, pulls it back, and throws.

If that running back was behind Rodgers, the faked running play would be something off tackle or an outside zone instead of a counter, fake draw, whatever. It'd look just the read-option right up until the keep/give decision.

Give would look just like a running play.

Keep would be Rodgers throwing instead of running.

Hell, such a play might be an "option" in that they run the same play and Rodgers keeps or throws based on what happens after the snap (I'd guess they wouldn't actually do that. Such techniques are better suited for college QBs who don't have the skills to diagnose pre-snap. Proficient professional QBs have already changed the play and re-ordered their progressions based the coverage the are likely to get based on pre-snap reads. I'm just saying such a play would be POSSIBLE.)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite Packers-beating-the-49ers memory is from 1995 when Wayne Simmons started the game by destroying the 49ers fullback, allowing Newsome to scoop it up for a touchdown.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite Packers-beating-the-49ers memory is from 1995 when Wayne Simmons started the game by destroying the 49ers fullback, allowing Newsome to scoop it up for a touchdown.

I remember it well. Adam Walker was the FB. Hated that guy. Shocked the world with that game...everyone expected the 49ers to play the Cowboys in the playoffs for like the 4 straight year and the Packers knocked them off. After that, the Packers kinda started their rise and it because the Packers who the Niners had so much playoff trouble against.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts