I think I figured out McCarthy!

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is soft with his playcalling. The only reason someone doesn't go for a TD while on the 2 yard line has to be because he doesn't want to develop a reputation amongst other coaches. What is the harm in running the ball into the endzone at the end of the game? I wonder if he got a thank you from Ken Whisenhunt after the game? I really believe that is his thinking, when his team has a lead after halftime, he becomes conservative. That is why teams comeback after the half. He does not want to be a coach that keeps his feet on the gas. That is what happened in the loss against Indy. It almost happened against St. Louis. It could have happened today. I understand having confidence in your team ability to maintain a lead, but come on! His way of thinking is gonna cost them more than it is gonna help them. Passing on 3rd and 1? McCarthy needs to kick *** from the start, kick *** in the middle and kick *** through the end.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the need to run the ball in when we have the victory in our back pocket. That's the time to show some class.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he didn't attempt to do it just proves to me that his does in fact go conservative.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
McCarthy is a man of "good form". If it's important to lose a game with dignity ... it's equally important to WIN with dignity. It is plain and simple poor sportsmanship to run 'er up when the outcome is no longer in question. I'll bet that you like the Bucs coach not allowing teams a kneel down in victory formation.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I do not like what the Bucs coach attempted to do, that is just plain stupid. You can call him a man of good form all you want or say it poor sportmanship, that is totally your opinion. Is it good form or poor sportmanship to go to conservative playcalling in the second half because you already have the lead?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the cards didnt cheap shot Rodgers in that playoff game and get the non call I would be fine with taking a knee. I would have punched it in to shove it up their *** though. I understand its not the class thing to do but I would do it anyways.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is to win the game. The game was won. No need to prolong the game and risk anything.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I disagree with the OP. The game was over, no need to be classless. Take a knee.

Or how about this: Punch the ball in for a not-needed score, but during the play [insert Packer player name here] blows out his knee.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with the OP. The game was over, no need to be classless. Take a knee.

Or how about this: Punch the ball in for a not-needed score, but during the play [insert Packer player name here] blows out his knee.
hand the ball off to Finley then....win win situation

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok..Say they do go for it and run the ball..Say Rodgers ( any other player) for what ever reason gets tangled up on a play and breaks leg

We will have 100,000 Pack fans complaining we had game won, why not just take a knee

That is the BEST answer

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I just posted that..didnt see yours

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think the original post is on to something. MM is not good at stepping on opposing teams throats when IT IS NEEDED. The end of the game up 2 TDs is not that time. But at the beginning of the 2nd half? Hell yes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL rules:

O BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  12. Coin toss

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No I do not like what the Bucs coach attempted to do, that is just plain stupid. You can call him a man of good form all you want or say it poor sportmanship, that is totally your opinion. Is it good form or poor sportmanship to go to conservative playcalling in the second half because you already have the lead?

You're absolutely correct. That is my opinion. The opening post was actually two entirely different statements. You're of the opinion that McCarthy lets up with the lead (and I'll add that Capers drops into that danged prevent too soon as well) ... and I agree with that statement.

The second concept was snarked up in your belief that a sportsman...a competitor...the man-with-the-plan and whatever name one might give to the Head Coach should run up the score when the game was already won. Two words come to mind immediately: Bill Belichek.

No thanks ... I don't want the Packers to have that kind of connotation associated with them.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Assuming the OP is referring to the final possession of the game, it isn't about not wanting to run up the score. It isn't about "class" either. It's about being smart. Taking the knee is the only call to make in that situation. Any time you run the ball, you risk a fumble. Why take the risk when you have nothing to gain? A simple risk/reward analysis dictates the smart coach to take 3 knees and go home.

H

HardRightEdge

NFL rules:

O BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  12. Coin toss
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  12. Coin toss

Getting past strength of victory and strength of schedule would be virtually nil. The points really didn't matter.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is to win the game. The game was won. No need to prolong the game and risk anything.

You never know what could happen out there, not to say the W was in peril at that point but you never know when a OL is going to get rolled up on in a running play or we all know what nasty non contact injuries look like when Finley and Al Harris went down in 1 year with no contact knee injuries. The game was over why risk it the way this game had already been going on the injury front

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ok, I see some of the points about an injury or a fumble....but....

That would have been a good time to give Crosby some much needed PRACTICE !!!! lol...Kick a 3 bagger and then go home.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting past strength of victory and strength of schedule would be virtually nil. The points really didn't matter.
I would rather the Pack lose like gentemen than win like ***holes.

But the likelihood of hitting the #7 tie breaker? Mighty slim anyway.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It was a 14 point lead.....not much imo. It's not like what the pats did to the rams over in london, 45 -7 is just nuts. My main point to all this is: You never know what crazy crap can happen in 3-4 min. of time. We had an opportunity, I would have at the very least kicked it in for 3 points, then it's a 3 score game. Ether way we won, that's all that matters. I just like to see points put up....by us.

Latest posts