'I played terrible,' says Packers' Rodgers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philadelphia — As usual, Aaron Rodgers didn't mince words.

"I played terrible," the Green Bay quarterback said. "I missed a lot of throws I make in my sleep. Personally, I made too many dumb mistakes and didn't play as well as I'm capable of playing.

"It's got to get better. That's the good thing."

Yes, as Rodgers noted, if he and the offense were that far off their game and the Packers were still able to win, 27-20, as they did against the Philadelphia Eagles in the season opener Sunday, that cannot be all bad.

"It's nice when the offense isn't playing as well as it can and the special teams and defense steps up like it did," Rodgers said.

"It's nice to get a win here. This is a tough, hostile environment. I've been a part of two ugly losses here."

Though it was a complete reversal of what was expected from the Packers, Rodgers will take his uncharacteristic 19 of 31 and two interceptions and move on in the knowledge that he might not always need his A-game for the Packers to win this season. They did it against the Eagles with revived special teams and a defense that came up really big at the end.

One of the NFL's elite quarterbacks gave the Eagles credit for taking away one of his top go-to guys, tight end Jermichael Finley. Finley was not the factor he was expected to be in catching four of the six passes Rodgers threw his way for 47 yards.

The Packers made their offensive intentions known immediately. Their first three plays of the game, excluding a penalty against the Eagles, were all incomplete passes. Rodgers was unable to find his groove early and was intercepted on just his second drive of the season.

Throwing into triple coverage with 8:23 left in the first quarter, Rodgers was intercepted off a deflection.

But there was value in that play.

On the sideline, Rodgers told wide receiver Greg Jennings to break off a "go" route if the Eagles showed the coverage again.

They did, and with less than two minutes left in the third quarter, Rodgers found Jennings on a 32-yard strike that gave the Packers a 27-10 lead. It was one of two touchdowns for Rodgers, the other being a 6-yarder to Donald Driver late in the half.

But after the Jennings score, Rodgers said the Green Bay offense, expected to be one of the most dangerous units in the league, went into "end-of-the-game" mode as the Eagles rallied with backup quarterback Michael Vick.

Rodgers didn't help when he threw his second interception in the fourth quarter after the ball slipped out of his hand.

The other concern was the three sacks the Eagles got early in the game. It was a bad flashback from the first half of last season, when Rodgers took a beating.

Is he concerned about a repeat?

"I'm not worried," Rodgers said. "The only thing that worries you is the four-man rush. They sacked us three times in their base defense. That's disappointing."

Rodgers is friends with Philadelphia starting quarterback Kevin Kolb, who went out of the game in the second quarter with a concussion. Rodgers said he planned to speak to Kolb later Sunday night.

"I hope he's OK," Rodgers said. "You never want to see that happen. The quarterback fraternity is pretty tight."

'I played terrible,' says Packers' Rodgers - JSOnline

Emperor_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very glad he sets high expectation for himself. Cause he sure is alot better than he played.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
The fact that he can play that badly, and make no bones he was terrible, and we still find a way to win is really, really encouraging.

I have faith that Aaron will rebound in a HUGE way this week.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played his worst in ages and still will rank near the top of the QB rates for the week....

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you did, Rodgers! Get your **** straight. That way we don't win the SB. Get your poise and start delivering!
-----------
Rodgers had a good game for a normal QB. He had an AWFUL game for Aaron Rodgers.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
A-Rod was right, it was nice we could rely on our special teams and defense to secure our win. It was a nice change from two years ago. Hell I wonder what would happen if the team didn't go end of game mode one game. After being up 20 to 3

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I REALLY dont like this part. He ALWAYS needs to win the superbowl not just sometimes

Though it was a complete reversal of what was expected from the Packers, Rodgers will take his uncharacteristic 19 of 31 and two interceptions and move on in the knowledge that he might not always need his A-game for the Packers to win this season.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
A-Rod was right, it was nice we could rely on our special teams and defense to secure our win. It was a nice change from two years ago. Hell I wonder what would happen if the team didn't go end of game mode one game. After being up 20 to 3

Word, can we keep the boot on the other teams neck at least until AFTER the 2min warning for once. WTF does GB always let teams back in it. Hate that.

I know the arguments why we go conservative, but dammit, I hated seeing Philly creep back into the game. Maybe it was more to do with Vick than our scheme, but our offense got conservative Way way way too early.

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" - Herm Edwards (horrible coach, great quotes)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLlIdZikDk"]YouTube - You Play To Win The Game (INFL Mixtape)[/ame]

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers Character shows in his statements. Packers have the right guy leading this team. I personally don't see him having the kind of year he had last year but he may be more effective and lead the Packers to more wins.

This is a FAAARR cry from what the Packers used to get and I think in the QB position, the character speaks volumes...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's encouraging to hear Rodgers expects better, he is a stand up guy, I like that...it was a bit disappointing in the beginning, but escaping with a win is all that matters in the end...I hope I see Aaron light somebody up this season, like NEW ENGLAND, someone of that calibur

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well I know he holds Brady in high regards, and it would be really nice to see the two of them face off and Packers destroy the Patriots. Rodgers really is a class act, something that is rarely found among the football players.

packerfan1441

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love hearing this, I thought he got a B- for the game compared to how he played last year, but I look forward to him having a great game under these expectations

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers really is a class act, something that is rarely found among the football players.
Well of course he is.

edted by longtimefan

you didnt like other thread going off topic so I stopped this one from going where you had it pointed

Members online

Latest posts