I lucked out and Drew the Packers in a Mock Draft...

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually have the honor of Picking for the Packers in the Mock Draft they are running over at the ExtremeSkins site (Redskin's Fan Forum). I've been digging into every nugget of information I can get, because I want to do the best job for the Packers I can do. I do feel like I know a good bit about this team. I've been following the Packers, as often as they've been on TV here in West Virginia (which isn't every week, but you get the idea). My Family, my dad's side to be exact, is from Wisconsin originally so its been tradition to follow and root for the Packers when we can. So It just tickled me pink when I was able to snag the role of playing the GM for the Packers on this Mock Draft. Of course the goal of this game is to try and predict which teams will pick what players where, after draft day they will come back and look at them and see how everyone did, and the person who scores the highest accuracy wins.

Man I'm going to Miss Favre, the likelihood of me seeing many Packer games just went down a notch. I wonder if that will effect TV coverage here in West Virginia. Having to think about a mid to late round QB is still present in my mind, but fortunately the timeline for picks is spread out enough that I won't be rushed into any such decision.

Anyhow, back to the Mock, if I stand Pat, (And I've already put a feeler out to the Panther's guy to see if I can leverage Peppers out of him at all, as there has been talk on here,) but if Carolina won't part with peppers and I end up standing Pat, I am hopeful that our First pick will be able to made on one of the following: OLB, CB, DE, DT I don't anticipate looking at anything on the Offensive Side, we are set at starters for QB, RB, and WR. Although if a top notch TE falls he may be worth grabbing in the 1st assuming the OLB, CB I would perhaps be targeting does not fall to us. So any advice or suggestions on what you guys would do is great.

Just figured I'd put this Feeler out there, as My pick isn't for a few days yet, I still have time to figure out what we do in the first round.

Enough Said.

Let's Go Pack!

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, thought I'd follow up. First round isn't quite over, but it seems a few folks fell asleep at the wheel, when Green bay came up to pick there were quite a number of top rated players on the board, so I had a very difficult decision to make.

Yet to be selected are:
PLayers not selected that are first round talents

OT
Carl Nicks, Nebraska
Sam Baker, USC

CB:
Brandon Flowers, Va Tech
Antoine Cason, Arizona

Safety
Kenny Phillips, Miami

RB
Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

DE
Derrick Harvey, Florida

WR
James Hardy, Indiana

I don't feel we need a guy like Harvey yet, and Harvey doesn't strike me as the kind of DE we'd want. Mendenhall is an intriguing pick, but I honestly think the Packers management, doesn't need to splurge with a RB in the 1st Round, they probably like what they have in Ryan Grant, and will likely prefer experience to help protect A-Rod in the backfield when necessary. Phillips, is an interesting pick, but I think we are pretty full at safety right now. So that left it down to OT or CB It was a tough decision, but I didn't have Nicks rated in the first round (2nd probably), and Sam baker did not go to the Combine so wasn't sure how he'd fair. In the end I felt the best choice for the packers in the 1st Round was a Cornerback, and Antoine Cason is the best of the two corners rated in this round.

Hope you guys agree with that analysis :D

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should draft either chris williams or sam baker with their 1st rounder ... and draft antoine cason with their 2nd because he is a late 2nd early 3rd projection ... williams and baker = monster ot

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cason is an okay pick, but guys like Mike Mayock from NFL.network had Flowers rated above Cason. Plus Flowers plays the same type of style as Woodson and Harris. But I would be okay with Cason.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should draft either chris williams or sam baker with their 1st rounder ... and draft antoine cason with their 2nd because he is a late 2nd early 3rd projection ... williams and baker = monster ot

Well the ES Mock draft is weird, they score you not based on who got the "best Players" but based on how close you come to what the Pack actually does. I had a rough choice though, Sam Baker is a good Left Tackle and I really thought hard about taking him. Mendenhall isn't going to fall that far so I can't take him. I'm not a fan of Williams or Flowers, but Cason showed a great Vertical Leap. I think he'll be a great pick up, but I really think the packers might look Oline, but the guy I was hoping to fall didn't.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvey and Mendenahall won't be there.

I don't view Baker as a 1st rounder so I wouldn't take him. People love Chris Williams on this forum but so do other teams. If he's on the board when the Pack pick I'll be pretty shocked.

Is Reggie Smith on the board?

If not then your best bet is probably Cason or Flowers.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvey and Mendenahall won't be there.

I don't view Baker as a 1st rounder so I wouldn't take him. People love Chris Williams on this forum but so do other teams. If he's on the board when the Pack pick I'll be pretty shocked.

Is Reggie Smith on the board?

If not then your best bet is probably Cason or Flowers.

I believe williams was already taken earlier in our mock, and yeah, Reggie Smith was there too, but I don't feel given all the quality corners, that he's going to go in the 1st, he could, I just am not sure that he would.

for those who are interested here's how the first round went down:

1 Miami Dolphins- Chris Long, University of Virginia, DE
2 St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, Michigan, OT
3 Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan, Boston College, QB
4 Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden, Arkansas, RB
5 Kansas City Chiefs- Glenn Dorsey, LSU, DT
6 New York Jets- Vernon Ghoulston, The Ohio State University, DE/LB
7 New England Patriots (from San Francisco)- Leodis McKelvin, Troy, CB
8 Baltimore Ravens- Mike Jenkins, South Florida, CB
9 Cincinnati Bengals- Keith Rivers, USC, LB
10 New Orleans Saints- Sedrick Ellis, USC, DT
11 Buffalo Bills- Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma, WR
12 Denver Broncos- Ryan Clady, Boise St, OT
13 Carolina Panthers- Jonathan Stewart, Oregon, RB
14 Chicago Bears- Chris Williams, Vanderbilt, OT
15 Detroit Lions- Dan Connor, Penn State, LB (Commisioner Pick, no points will be awarded)
16 Arizona Cardinals- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tenn State, CB
17 Minnesota Vikings- Phillip Merling, Clemson, DE
18 Houston Texans- Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh, OT
19 Philadelphia Eagles- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College( No Compensation Given.. GM selection)
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers- DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
21 Washington Redskins- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
22 Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland)- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
23 Pittsburgh Steelers- Brandon Albert, OG, Virginia
24 Tennessee Titans- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
25 Seattle Seahawks- Kentwan Balmer, DT, University of North Carolina
26 Jacksonville Jaguars- Lawrence Jackson, DE USC
27 San Diego Chargers- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
28 Dallas Cowboys- Rashad Mendenhall, Rb, Illnois
29 San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis)- Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
30 Green Bay Packers- Antione Cason, CB, Arizona
— New England Patriots
31 New York Giants- Reggie Smith- DB, Oklahoma

Now the reason the Cowboys took mendenhall, was because the person who had the chargers missed their deadline, dallas apparently waited, but when san fran didn't wait, I picked about an hour after my window opened, and then dallas came in behind. etc. I do think Reggie Smith will be a steal, but I'm not sure he's the sort of Corner the packers need.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just made our Second Round PIcks, and they weren't quite as hard as I'd have thought. By taking Cason in the first That meant I could focus on other areas of need. The first area I saw was Tight End. so with #56 I look at the board and low and behold Dustin Keller the Tight End from Purdue was still on the board. The only debate was whether to take him or Martellus Bennet, for some reason I'm more impressed with Keller in the long run then Bennet. But as both picks were there I flipped a coin and took Keller.

Then at #60 I was really perplexed, We had a pick on D and on O Now so what now. I Considered the Running Backs, but i didn't really feel that anyone rated a 2nd Round Prospect fills a need we have there. I also considered Defensive Line, but it just is not that huge of a priority right now, although there was on Defensive End who I thought could play LIne backer I think it was Clif Avril of Purdue, I really debated over him, or Mayo from Tennesse at Line backer, but I really felt that we needed a top three pick on the Offensive Line. Given that Clifton's contract is up in 2009 by my research, and he's already 31, I debated whether to look for a Tackle (Specifically someone we could groom to play Left Tackle), or a Guard). What I stumbled upon was a guy by the name of John Grecco out of Toledo. Guy has played Left Tackle there, and did very well, but also has the athleticism to slide inside and play Guard as well. I think Thompson would love a guy like Grecco, because it gives him the option to maybe take a risker pick later on. Anyhow I'll post the ES's 2nd Round once its completed, still a few picks out.

Members online

Latest posts