i have a theory

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need some nastiness to our defense. Our defense is too finesse. They seem to concerned about interceptions. They are all looking for the big play. Think about all of the smash mouth defenses around the league. Giants, steelers, ravens, 49ers. Looking at the guys we have on defense, only clay shows severe intensity. Clay is an animal, nick Collins has it in him also. Bishop has it. Nick barnett had it. Hawk does not have it. So'oto has it. We need more guys that are mean, nasty and just want to knock the snot out of someone. Think back to the 49ers/saints game, the 9ers were hitting everything that was moving. They were flying to the ball. Look at the ravens, their defense is intimidating. No one fears our defense. We need a change in our defensive culture.

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes something definetly needs to change. Too much zone coverage, go back to bump and run. Receivers need to be molested ay the line.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Al Harris? Now that guy could get get NASTY on bump and run! Very physical. He was even better than C Wood there for a while for us.

atthegates97

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh Al Harris.. always gonna be one of my favorites. a shame he kept getting hurt the last few years. miss that guy.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Al Harris? Now that guy could get get NASTY on bump and run! Very physical. He was even better than C Wood there for a while for us.

I mean yea he would always have the most PI penalties on the team and get burned for big plays but he did have a nastiness about him. We came up short in one game, we will be fine.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been almost 45 minutes between new threads on defense.
A Packer Forum record!!!!

OP
OP
CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah yes, Al Harris. He was my favorite player at one time. I hope someone lights a fire under the defense. They all need to do some soul searching.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However Jarett Bush and Charles Woodson are very physical corners. Look for Bush to get more playtime next season.

Bush should only be allowed on the field for special teams. He is quite possibly the worse cover man in the NFL. If Bush finds more playing time next season just start forfeiting games.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I've been saying for a while that our defense is too finesse and it's everybody on the defense. Not just a few guys. Even Clay is more of a finesse type of Pass Rusher.

We need some nasty guys in the trenches and at the ILB position. I'm so done with AJ Hawk.

It would be nice also to have safeties that enjoy contact. If our corners don't like to hit guys, I can live with that. Most all corners these days aren't vicious tacklers.

But as a Safety you need to tackle and wrap up.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need some nastiness to our defense. Our defense is too finesse. They seem to concerned about interceptions. They are all looking for the big play. Think about all of the smash mouth defenses around the league. Giants, steelers, ravens, 49ers. Looking at the guys we have on defense, only clay shows severe intensity. Clay is an animal, nick Collins has it in him also. Bishop has it. Nick barnett had it. Hawk does not have it. So'oto has it. We need more guys that are mean, nasty and just want to knock the snot out of someone. Think back to the 49ers/saints game, the 9ers were hitting everything that was moving. They were flying to the ball. Look at the ravens, their defense is intimidating. No one fears our defense. We need a change in our defensive culture.

You need a new DC and players that can play that way..... too bad Spags is going New Orleans

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The most problem I hear about having a defense like Baltimore is the fear of them being a "dirty" team. That really don't matter. Mark my words, the best defenses every year are called "dirty" because they are extremely aggressive and the 4 best defenses of all time that are argued (85 Bears, 78 Steelers, 92 Cowboys or 2000 Ravens) all of those were very mean and tried to murder quarterbacks.

You are not going to win a Super Bowl with just an offense.

Len Dawson once said that the K.C. team that won the 1969 Super Bowl, it didn't matter if he was the quarterback or not, cause they could run the ball and their defense could score points. That's a fact too about most of those old running teams. They didn't have to pass for 300 yards, those defenses were monsters and running the ball chews up the clock.

D

Dan115

The most problem I hear about having a defense like Baltimore is the fear of them being a "dirty" team. That really don't matter. Mark my words, the best defenses every year are called "dirty" because they are extremely aggressive and the 4 best defenses of all time that are argued (85 Bears, 78 Steelers, 92 Cowboys or 2000 Ravens) all of those were very mean and tried to murder quarterbacks.

You are not going to win a Super Bowl with just an offense.

Len Dawson once said that the K.C. team that won the 1969 Super Bowl, it didn't matter if he was the quarterback or not, cause they could run the ball and their defense could score points. That's a fact too about most of those old running teams. They didn't have to pass for 300 yards, those defenses were monsters and running the ball chews up the clock.

Who care if someone calls them dirty if they can win games. Just win baby.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in 96 we had Ray Lewis on the phone during the draft and told him we were just waiting for Baltimore to make their selection then we were going to pick him. His other phone then rang.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However Jarett Bush and Charles Woodson are very physical corners.
They are, but they are thin, slender guys.

Bishop is nasty and tough. So was Barnett. Those 2 in the middle are a lot better than with Hawk in there.
I own a Hawk jersey and was fine with picking him over Vernon Davis and Haloti Ngata back in 2006.
But I'd trade my Hawk jersey with him, for either of those other 2 guys. Dang. Nothing special at all about AJ, but..... nevermind. AJ owns a ring. Neither of those 2 have even appeared in a Super Bowl.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

We're too FINESSE? AJ Hawk doin' Tito Santana on LeGarrett Blount and letting him run for a 70 yard TD is finesse? What we NEED is intelligence and technique!

Latest posts