I found this interesting...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
This article CLEARLY states it COULD have happened, I guess you never heard of restructuring deals, trades, etc.

There were dozens of possible scenarios. Didn't Teddy wrap up about 3 Mil. a year on Shermans two year contract, only to let him go after one. Cletidus's injury settlement didn't help. The 800,000 signing bonus he gave Klemm is laughable. Resigning Martin was a joke. O'Dwyer was paid a pretty penny to do nothing.....on and on and on

If you are that near-sighted and uncreative I pity you. Do you have a brother named Ted?

coaches salaries don't count towards the cap, so nix that.

that article does make TT look a bit inept. though it doesn't exactly spell anything out, it makes it very clear that a sufficient effort wasn't made...thats his f'n job.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
This article CLEARLY states it COULD have happened, I guess you never heard of restructuring deals, trades, etc.

There were dozens of possible scenarios. Didn't Teddy wrap up about 3 Mil. a year on Shermans two year contract, only to let him go after one. Cletidus's injury settlement didn't help. The 800,000 signing bonus he gave Klemm is laughable. Resigning Martin was a joke. O'Dwyer was paid a pretty penny to do nothing.....on and on and on

If you are that near-sighted and uncreative I pity you. Do you have a brother named Ted?

The writer of the article does not work with any NFL team on structuring contracts.

Lesson: Don't believe everything you read.

Reaction score
Actually, when Whale says that he would have been signed to an extension, based on the knowledge I have of the cap, he cap number would still have been pretty high. Based on his deal with the panthers and what he was scheduled to make, Whale's cap charge for the last year before the extension kicked in would have been potentially 7-8 million dollars. That is still pretty high, IMO.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but it could have been done. You restructure a couple of contracts (like Favre's) and you pass a lot of the hit into this year when you have $35 million to spend. Heck, TT had almost $2 million he didn't spend under last year's cap and still has around $8 million to spend this year. That alone is more than enough to absorb the cap hit. Then you deduct the $1.5 million he spent for Klemm this tear and the $1.6 million he spent for Barry (all of which is money down the drain) and all of a sudden you have money left over.

Face it sports fans, TT didn't sign Wahle because he didn't want to, not because he couldn't.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Actually, when Whale says that he would have been signed to an extension, based on the knowledge I have of the cap, he cap number would still have been pretty high. Based on his deal with the panthers and what he was scheduled to make, Whale's cap charge for the last year before the extension kicked in would have been potentially 7-8 million dollars. That is still pretty high, IMO.

Before the Packers cut Wahle and Sharper, they were roughly $11.5 millon over the cap. Cutting Wahle and Sharper put them under I believe. I'm not sure how much but maybe around 3 or 4 mil. Carolina gave Wahle a signing bonus of over 10 mil I believe. His base salary has too be at least over 2 mil.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good god, if TT woulda went to Favre and said "restructure your contract please?" he wouldnt have left his office alive, and you guys woulda been the reason.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Pyle, I asked you to come up with the $9M this isn't about my creativity. You keep saying how Wahle should have been signed, well show us your cap page. We're dying here. Shut us up once and for all! I'll give you a hint where a lot of that cap money you seek is: check the dead cap space. The fact that you think Sherman's salary counts on the salary cap shows your knowledge of the subject.

By the way I am nearsighted, by I can pick through your BS with 20/20. Have fun with your number crunching.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:

Pyle, I asked you to come up with the $9M this isn't about my creativity. You keep saying how Wahle should have been signed, well show us your cap page. We're dying here. Shut us up once and for all! I'll give you a hint where a lot of that cap money you seek is: check the dead cap space. The fact that you think Sherman's salary counts on the salary cap shows your knowledge of the subject.

By the way I am nearsighted, by I can pick through your BS with 20/20. Have fun with your number crunching.

Oh my god! Didn't you try this with FA guards? It backfired in your face. You made excuses and then started on this. Then I show you proof and you say that wasn't by a CAP EXPERT? What the hell? Wheres your proof he couldn't be resigned by a CAP EXPERT?

Here's a simple question for you - If it was impossible for TT to sign WAhle why would he admit he made a mistake letting him go? PLEASE answer this.

I guess you have never heard of a restructured contract. Do you think I am going to go over 1000 scenarios just to have you move on to something else. You are to irrational to accept reality.

He could have done it and still resigned Franks as well.

He could have kept both and still had plenty of cap room this off-season. Please look at the cap info and do the math. Since signing bonuses are pro-rated both Wahle and Franks could have been signed last season with a back-loaded contract to keep under the cap in 2005.

I really used to respect you man but your constant "give me proof" stuff is lame. You and EVERY OTHER Packer fan, and even TT himself, know Wahle could have been resigned had TT did what he was appointed to do.

Let me try again

On Tuesday, the Packers cut their starting left guard, releasing him to the free-agent market where in a very short while he'll be a man of many riches. After discussing several deals of varying lengths and value, Wahle and the Packers were unable to agree on a renegotiated contract that would reduce his salary cap number of $11.375 million.

"We spent the past couple of weeks in talks that intensified this weekend, and we'll continue to talk," said Neil Cornrich, Wahle's agent. "Regardless of his status, we'll still talk."

The fact of the matter, however, is that the Packers are probably out of it because there will be other teams willing to pay more for Wahle's services. Even with their salary-cap troubles, the Packers could re-sign Wahle if they wanted, but new general manager Ted Thompson is drawing the line on stretching the cap thin.

Once Again

Green Bay -

Al Harris didn't look good at all in the final month, but the Packers can ill afford to have him hit the proverbial wall in '06. The next two cornerbacks, Carroll and Mike Hawkins, are more prospects than players.

Other than Nick Collins, Thompson will have to start all over again at safety.

If Longwell opts for a warm-weather team, the Packers will need both a new kicker and a new punter.

Almost every area of this team will require immediate attention from Thompson, whose priority last winter was what to do at guard. Even though keeping Mike Wahle would have placed an exorbitant percentage of the team's cap on the offensive line, Thompson could have and probably should have done it.

With Wahle and Rivera as the starting guards, the pair allowed 23 "pressures" in 2004, 18 in '03, 18 1/2 in '02 and 22 in '01. With Will Whitticker, Adrian Klemm and Wells playing those positions in '05, the guards yielded 69.

Not only that but a once-vaunted running attack went belly-up as well.

Sherman was instrumental in the signing of Klemm. Thompson drafted Whitticker, and then offensive coordinator Tom Rossley championed Whitticker's cause throughout training camp.

Thus, Sherman got one starter in Klemm and Thompson essentially got the other in Whitticker. The offensive line coaches wanted to make a guard out of Barry, who ended up being wasted in the "U-71" package that became so predictable. It was Sherman who vetoed asking more mentally of Barry, who would prove that he could handle tight end in December, and Thompson chose not to intervene.

"Hey, you want to know why they struggled?" one NFC personnel director said last month. "Look no further than guard, my man."

The whole kit and caboodle in Green Bay failed this season. Thompson, his hand-picked rookie quarterback and the new coach will be trying to head off what could be several years of losing.

It's obvious man, get over it.

Reaction score
Can we quit the personal reference to members posting "BS, etc."if they don't agree with your view? It's childish and just plain waste of time.

Lare and pyle, if Whale was signed, we wouldn't be that much under the cap (I think we can agree it would be less than 2 milion). Now we were devestated by injury last year, and ultimately that cap space came in handy come time to sign players to fill spots. If Whale is signed, I think that we are put in a position like the Titans were a couple of years ago were they couldn't sign anyone to replace the injury ravished team, because they had so little money left.

Ultimately I do think TT made a huge mistake in neglecting the G spots, and specifically letting Whale go for nothing. However I do believe it worked out for the best because last year could have ended up a lot more worse if we couldn't even fill out a 53 man roster because of insufficent funds.

Just my 2 cents. :)

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we quit the personal reference to members posting "BS, etc."if they don't agree with your view? It's childish and just plain waste of time.

Happens to me all day long. Growing a little tired of it.

I disagree about Wahle not being re-signed. Just because we had a rash of injuries last year we still had no O-line. If the same injuries would have occured with Wahle in there we may have been able to pull out some close ones and would still be sitting much prettier this year considering we are healthy.

Reaction score
IMO, if the same injuries occured with Whale, well it would have been harder to win becaue the Packers might have been more limited in the playes could sign.

Also, to play devil's advocate, who is to say Whale himself would not have been injured. Nothing to disrespect you or anything, but when a team is hit by the bug, no one is safe. IMO Whale could possibly have been hit by the bug, and then we would have to find a LG with less than 2 million, while also filling the other holes.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, if the same injuries occured with Whale, well it would have been harder to win becaue the Packers might have been more limited in the playes could sign.

Also, to play devil's advocate, who is to say Whale himself would not have been injured. Nothing to disrespect you or anything, but when a team is hit by the bug, no one is safe. IMO Whale could possibly have been hit by the bug, and then we would have to find a LG with less than 2 million, while also filling the other holes.

I agree that could happen but so could any other player on the field. You can't not resign someone because they MAY get injured unless maybe they have had a past of injuries......like Charles Woodson.....Ohhhhh, there I go again.

I don't know, I just either we had resigned Wahle or at least had a adequate way to replace him. I don't buy into the "building for the future thing."

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its feild day baby!!!

first off the fact that you guys are wanting to renegotiate Favres contract to keep a guard that may or may not have done well in this system is unbelievable. we were trying to keep favre here not run him off by giving him less money.

secondly... can we wait till at least preseason game 4 till we tell everyone how bad TT did with the O-line. i know it looked awful in game one. but who are we to say it wont improve. hell vegas thinks we will win tonight, we are favored by 2.5

thirdly .....pyle....oh pyle.
Didn't Teddy wrap up about 3 Mil. a year on Shermans two year contract, only to let him go after one.

we all took a vote and the fact that your arguing your pessimistic, lame, kill joy argument, with facts such as this gem. makes you and your argument null and void. ok so we didnt vote... but i think we all feel the same.

this isnt fantasy football, this isnt 1960s, this isnt midget football. Its a business with serious ramifications that come about with negligence. 1) You cnat just spend up all the money in the world buyin a great team .ask the redskins 2) Renegotiating contracts, is a little bit more difficult since 1966... players play for money first, team second. pyle lare depack and anyone else... these things sound good on paper. but doing all this is not as easy as that. all those options would have been serious problems given the way the salary cap was when TT got it. just shut up till week 4

and pyle if you keep on, im gonna have to renogiate your contract so it wont be such a hit on the packers salary cap. :rotflmao:

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pretty much says it all..straight from the horse's mouth.

Wahle said
“To be honest with you at the beginning of the off-season I was under the impression that they were just going to extend that contract that I was on,â€

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
this isnt fantasy football, this isnt 1960s, this isnt midget football. Its a business with serious ramifications that come about with negligence.
Sorry, but in Pyle's defense, i don't think he is playing fantasy f-ball. He's talking about the O-line. As far as I've seen there are no positions in fantasy for offensive linemen. Never seen a league like that. (but if anyone knows of one...) Anyway, I think that "building for the future" is neccessary in the NFL today, and I'm willing to swallow that bitter pill, and i'm trusting the promise that we will be contenders. Maybe I'm just nieve

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Packnic said:
this isnt fantasy football, this isnt 1960s, this isnt midget football. Its a business with serious ramifications that come about with negligence.
Sorry, but in Pyle's defense, i don't think he is playing fantasy f-ball. He's talking about the O-line. As far as I've seen there are no positions in fantasy for offensive linemen. Never seen a league like that. (but if anyone knows of one...) Anyway, I think that "building for the future" is neccessary in the NFL today, and I'm willing to swallow that bitter pill, and i'm trusting the promise that we will be contenders. Maybe I'm just nieve

Thanks Pack in Black. I am as far from a Fantasy Football type guy as there is. I don't believe in buying a team. I believe in making sure all your units are solid. You will never hear me say we should have brought in Owens or anything.

As far as Sherman, That is money TT spent. I don't care how you cut it. Take Wahle out to eat and slide it in his pocket. If you don't think deals are done like this everyday in the NFL you are sadly mistaken Packnic. So I guess you ended up looking silly.What Fantasy Football league to you play in Packnic? You draft OG's huh, now thats funny.

With the first pick Packnic selects Mookie Moore......wtf!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I don't care how you cut it. Take Wahle out to eat and slide it in his pocket. If you don't think deals are done like this everyday in the NFL you are sadly mistaken Packnic.

:thumbsup:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was an article a while back stating Thompson did in fact offer Wahle a contract. Wahle said and I quote from what I can remember "The contract was laughable compared to what Carolina was going too give me"

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
There was an article a while back stating Thompson did in fact offer Wahle a contract. Wahle said and I quote from what I can remember "The contract was laughable compared to what Carolina was going too give me"

I read that article as well. I was glad we made an effort, but damn a 'laughable' one? Maybe it was laughable because it was asking Wahle to take a itsy bitsy salary for the next year or two while the Packers try to recoup some Shermoney that was lost and it wasnt worth the risk to him. Nor would I blame him to be honest. I wouldn't wanna work two years busting my *** off for peanuts hoping I don't get hurt so I get a huge pay day in year three.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for the BS comment, Pyle. It's uncalled for and immature on my part. I'll try better to keep emotion out of things in the future.

But I still don't agree with you!!!!!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Sorry for the BS comment, Pyle. It's uncalled for and immature on my part. I'll try better to keep emotion out of things in the future.

We need more people who can man up like this.

Respect.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:

Respect.
Maybe you and Tromadz could spend some time at counseling, but then the entertainment factor around here goes waaaay down!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what do i need counseling for? HUH? WHAT THE **** DO I NEED ******** COUNSELING FOR?!?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:

Respect.
Maybe you and Tromadz could spend some time at counseling, but then the entertainment factor around here goes waaaay down!

:gobble:

Members online

Latest posts