I don't think we'll catch the Bears

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Alex Smith will be the starter. They don't need that type of drama at this time point in the season. Yes, the youngster looked good, but one complete game does not make him the starter, he needs 3 or more complete games with top notch performance to prove that he can start over smith. The media has started their drama drums a beat'n already.
Not what harbagh said.. I think you have a big controversy coming up and I think Colin will be starting this week. Harbagh said you have to stick with the "hot hand"

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We caught the Bears.
Now we have road games left at:

NY Giants (6-4)
Chicago (7-3)
Minnesota (6-4)

If we win 2 out of those 3, or better, we're golden.
If we lose 2 out of those 3, or worse, trouble.

The Niners look so much better with Kaepernick. He has a stronger arm than Smith does, as we saw, and clearly he has better speed. Funny because Smith was taken above Rodgers because he supposedly was such a good athlete. The BlackGreek Kaepernick is more athletic. Hard to believe the Giants went to SF a few weeks ago and just KICKED THE NINERS ARSES. Beat them down in the trenches and up & down the field.

Of course things will change after our game vs the Giants this week, and the Bears play Minny, etc. But if the season ended now:

Wildcard Weekend:
#6 Seattle @ #3 Green Bay
#5 Chicago @ #4 NY Giants

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
we shall see, nothing is solid this early. I don't care for A. smith, but it's not like he was playing poorly enough to consider a replacement.....yet.
One game does not make a "hot hand", with the way the NFL works and games are being played, you never know about the next week, the kid could come out and lay an egg. He has all the tools of an NFL QB, he did look good, I admit that. But to bench Smith, no way, not in my eyes.....it's not like he has been playing like Vick, or Cassell, or anyone else that has been on the fence of riding the pine or not.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we shall see, nothing is solid this early. I don't care for A. smith, but it's not like he was playing poorly enough to consider a replacement.....yet.
One game does not make a "hot hand", with the way the NFL works and games are being played, you never know about the next week, the kid could come out and lay an egg. He has all the tools of an NFL QB, he did look good, I admit that. But to bench Smith, no way, not in my eyes.....it's not like he has been playing like Vick, or Cassell, or anyone else that has been on the fence of riding the pine or not.

Excatly my point as well. Alex's only real bad outing was the Giants game. He was playing lights out versus the Rams until he got concussed. I think ppl are overreacting to great game against a slightly overrated defense. Bears didn't disguise their coverage early and they paid for it. Roman started out giving CK simple reads. We went with a lot of heavy sets, play-action out of those which usually left a mis-match(mainly VD) open. Those first couple of throws were nicely set-up to give CK some early success. Then CK made nice sight adjustments and audible to a couple of quick slants. Nothing earth-shattering. But the Bears never confused CK...except for that sack where they showed blitz then dropped into coverage. No defense from here on out would approach CK the same way. They never made CK second guess anything he was seeing. Very surprised by the Bears approach.

Once more tape of CK makes it rounds around the league, you'll get a better definition of where he truly is as a QB. CK probably made one throw Alex doesn't make.....the one to Kyle Williams. But frankly, that's the best I've seen CK throw the ball since he's been a Niner. One of his biggest problems since being drafted has been his accuracy, especially intermediate or deep. Much too early to just give him the job as some are implying.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of this thread makes me smile.
Me too :)

Remaining Schedules:

Chicago
vs Minnasoda
vs Seattle
@ Minnasoda
vs PACKERS
@ Arizona
@ Detroit

Packers
@ NY Giants
vs Minnasoda
vs Detroit
@ BEARS
vs Tennessee
@ Minnasoda

It's gonna go down to the last week it looks like because divisional tiebreakers will be important and I doubt either team will be 2 games above the other by then... unless one team gains 2 full games over the next 5 weeks.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Interesting breakdown on the Bears game last night from one of their forums:

http://chicagobearsboard.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?20424

shoopster said:
November, we were told, would be the month the bunch of bums currently calling themselves Chicago Bears would make their mettle. Far from pretenders, said bunch of bums would rise up against the best of the NFL and establish themselves on the mantle of the "elite."

But as Axl Rose once said, "it's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain," and in dreary San Francisco, Bear fans holding a candle for a fraud of a team that had made its bones by beating up on tomato cans all year watched the flame flicker out. In a demoralizing, disgusting, and absolutely inexcusable display of ennui, the aforementioned bunch of bums came out and laid an egg the likes of which hadn't been seen since the Dave Wannstedt era in surrendering to the 49ers 32-to-7. And thus does the shoopster break it down . . .

. . . It starts, as always, with the quarterback, in this case the backup one at that, and yet another it seems the Bears braintrust - if you can call it that - badly misevaluated. Jason "Caleb" Campbell looked first disinterested, then mildly annoyed at having to exert himself, then frightened, and finally dazed and confused about his whereabouts in a performance for the ages. Campbell began the game warily, clearly not excited about the prospect of reviving his woebegone NFL career with a showcase start or two, and after the hits started coming, he folded, much like, of course, his predecessor, "Oh" Jay Cutler. As such, it will be tempting for apologists to blame the disinterest of Bear quarterbacks on the putrid offensive line, but nothing is further from the truth. Campbell, like Cutler, frightens easily, and he looked like a scared child out there last night. Scared most of all to throw the ball. Not trusting himself or his receivers, Campbell elected instead to hold onto the ball and allow his body - one admittedly more forgiving than the brittle Cutler's - to absorb the abuse. But even studs wilt over time. By the fourth quarter, Campbell was woozy, and rather than signal complete surrender by sending in Josh McC(l)own, the Bears kept him out there, perhaps as penance for the disinterest with which he opened the game. Campbell deserved it . . .

. . . Matt "Don't Call Me Fort, or Forty For That Matter" Forte ran alright, but just alright. The Bears never bothered trying to establish the run at the outset, or maybe they did but couldn't figure out how to do it - it was tough to tell what the offensive gameplan was. But it didn't feature Forte. His partner in grime, Michael "Bird in the Hand" Bush, continued to serve as living proof that the body atrophies with inactivity, looking slower than ever. Bush, like Campbell, has been a big-name, big-money disappointment. Put that on the offensive strategy all you want, but neither of these guys have lived up to their advance billing or their paycheck, and at some point, personal pride has to come into play. If, that is, one has any . . .

. . . Brandon Marshall didn't drop any passes this week, but then he only had four targets so it's not really his fault he didn't deliver on his weekly occurrence of flubbing a TD pass. He did catch one, and a fine catch it was. Then, the model teammate went to the sideline and began berating his teammates, as if four months and a couple of good games suddenly make him some sort of elder statesman. The cancer - implanted it should be noted by Cutler himself, who has refused to hold Marshall publicly the way he has his other offensive mates and chosen instead to pat Marshall on the head and giggle conspiratorily with him on the sideline after big-bust drops - is growing . . .

. . . In exchange for showing up and providing professional level offensive line play, the pride of "Meathead" Mike Tice rewarded with comic relief. Be in J'Marcus Webb whiffing on a blocker and having Forte confront him mid-huddle with palms upturned as if to say "huh?," Chilo "Chimichanga" Rachal's multiple holding penalties, or Gabe "Kaplan" Carimi looking like a little girl playing a strange game of backpedal-pattycake with whomever he was asked to try to block, the offensive line elicited not so much concern but laughter, the greatest of which came when the aforementioned Rachal located a Campbell fumble in the Bears endzone, didn't appear to know what to do, then picked up the ball to try to run the ball out to prevent a safety, only to have the ball swatted forward out of his hands by one of his fellow linemates. The comedy of errors was something even the referees had trouble figuring out what to do with before mercifully taking the ball away from the Bears and awarding the 49ers a safety.

This line, it can now be said after three years of Mike Tice's "expertise," is a failure, and that failure lies right at the feet of Mike Tice. He has picked these guys, he has shuffled them around out of position, and he has dug his heels in stubbornly on guys like Webb and Carimi, both of whom are clearly among the worst linemen in the NFL. No more can Mike Tice escape scrutiny for the woe he has wrought with this group. And yet, this isn't even Tice's biggest failure on this team . . .

. . . No, that would be the execution of his duties as offensive coordinator. Clearly confused, Tice has even less of a focus and a mission than "Madman" Mike Martz, who at least knew what he was trying to do. Tice does not. He appeared to want to establish the run early, though three quick stuffs of Matt Forte quickly dissuaded him. At that point, he had no idea what to do with Jason Campbell. There didn't appear to be one play drawn up to take advantage of anything Campbell can do, whatever it is that might be. Instead, Campbell looked uncomfortable all night as he was reduced to a pocket passer behind a **** poor line. Tice made no adjustments until the Bears were down by 20, when then laughably and in desperation he tried to reestablish the run. Jeremy Bates, for his part, appears to only be around to help Jay Cutler - his input as "passing coordinator" clearly was helping the meathead. In all, it was a defining performance by Tice, who was exposed as the fraud of an OC he is . . .

. . . Exposed as well was Lovie "Cancha See That Frown? I Might Not Get That Undeserved Extension After All If I Don't Figure This Out Quick, and Damned If I Know How to Figure Anything Out More Than Once Every Five Offseasons" Smith. His defense looked old and dated, coming out in a reactionary stance against Jim Harbaugh's masterful offense. Worse than that, and as usual, the defense made no adjustments. They just allowed themselves to get picked apart up and down the field, as they usually do in Lovie's "bend a whole lot and break only a little bit" Cover-"Few", but this time against a good team that knows how to take care of the ball, the panacea that covers up their ills - the turnover - was nowhere to be found. Tape of this game is spreading like wildfire throughout the league you can bet, and it is likely that the Bears' days of pick-six celebrations and "peanut-punch" bravado are over. From here on out, it will be up to Lovie and Rod Marinelli - he of the 0-and-16, so you know how good he is at adjustments - to find a new formula to remain competitive. We all know how well that always goes . . .

. . . Other notes: Julius "layin'" Peppers "& eggs" laid another one - completely invisible. Chris "Chilli con" Conte quite the opposite, with a whole lotta tv time of his backside chasing receivers who somehow got behind him down the field. "Father of the Year" Lance Briggs - completely manhandled. Brian "Hollywood" Urlacher, old, slow, a ghost. And Charles "Me-Nut" Tillman, still laughingly trying to punch balls out of receivers' hands rather than tying them up and bringing them to the turf . . .

. . . But special mention goes to one "Dumb" Devin Hester, who made a fool of himself all night on offense and special teams. On the former, upon catching 2 passes off poorly run routes, he immediately dove for the turf, whether or not a defender was near him. The "Devin Dive" did nothing so much as accentuate the fact that Hester never knows where he is on an NFL field, or who is around him. On the latter, amid MNF announcers noting that Hester is inconceivably not ranked in the Top 25 in either punt or kickoff returns, Hester took juking and jiving to a new level by literally fielding a fourth quarter punt and immediately taking five steps backward away from an onrush at least 7 yards upfield. After repeated losses on punt returns, Hester got his jayhole on and pouted his way back to the offensive huddle, where of course he mis-ran a few more routes, one resulting in a Campbell interception. In anointing Hester all sorts of duties he is ill-equiped to handle, the Bears have confused this simple, sensitive man and ruined him as an NFL player. It may be the single greatest failure of the Lovie Smith regime . . .

. . . but maybe, though, that failure will end up being the uninspired 3-and-3 or 2-and-4 this team in disarray is about to embark upon. Of course, Lovie will take to the podium toay as he did last night and erroneously claim that the Bears remain "atop the division," which they don't, and suggest that "we all" need to do better rather than taking a deserved look at the Hesters, the Carimis, the Webbs, the Campbells, the Contes, the - yes - the Urlachers, and determining whether the guys standing behind them could realistically do any worse. Accountability means nothing on this team, which of course is an edict that comes right from stupid, senile ol' Ginny McCaskey, the so-called "patriarch" of the NFL who'd no sooner change her Depends than the Head Coach who's gone to the playoffs, as he noted at the end of last season, "once in the last two years" (and of course nonce in the three years prior to that either) yet obediently follows her to mass every Sunday. Why should the players have pride in performance, one asks himself, when the Owner has made it clear the Head Coach doesn't have to? . . .

H

HardRightEdge

Alex Smith will be the starter. They don't need that type of drama at this time point in the season. Yes, the youngster looked good, but one complete game does not make him the starter, he needs 3 or more complete games with top notch performance to prove that he can start over smith. The media has started their drama drums a beat'n already.

I love Kaepernick's potential, especially working under Harbaugh, a premier coach of QBs.

But this "QB controversy" stuff is overbaked for the reasons you cited.

There isn't much film on the guy...the little he's played has been wildcat/red zone stuff. If he can get a few more starts and can show that teams are not figuring him out, then he might be ready for prime time. And it's one thing to go out there with low expectations and not much personally at risk vs. being handed the leadership and the expectations that come with.

If Smith is recovered next week, he'll start, and Kaepernick will have to wait for another day.

Smith has proven to be an effective QB under Harbaugh. He moves the ball, protects the ball. As I illustrated in a previous post, his stats (yards per completion looked at together with yards after catch), indicate a much improved down field passing game this season, arguably better than the Packers. He was 2 muffed punts away from a SB last season. When you're this close to the prize, you stay with your solid veteran who's done everything he needed to do to win these past 2 seasons.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for that, PackFanNChiTown. What an entertaining post - even used the word, "ennui" correctly. As I've posted before, schadenfreude isn't a becoming trait but sometimes I … just … can't … hepit! On Bears radio (the Score) this morning a Packers fanatic had a smorgasbord of laughs at the expense of Bears fans available. At one point, someone mentioned "Carimi's bruised tailbone" would be a good nickname. On another thread I quoted McGinn's article "O-lines not vital…" and his caveat in that article was, "Obviously, if a unit is as bad as those in Philadelphia, Arizona or Jacksonville, an offense has little or no chance." Just as obviously the Bears OL belonged in that group last night.

And of course it wasn't only the OL. As the poster said the Bears' D was dominated too. This offseason they'll have the twin burdens of rebuilding their OL while preparing for the exit-due-to-age of a few important pieces to their "vaunted" D. All that makes this Packers fanatic :D

H

HardRightEdge

Not what harbagh said.. I think you have a big controversy coming up and I think Colin will be starting this week. Harbagh said you have to stick with the "hot hand"
Not so fast there, cowboy. Here's the exact quote:

"I usually tend to go with the guy that has the hot hand and we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand," Harbaugh said after Monday's 32-7 victory.

Pretty clever, I'd say. Make the Saints divide their focus game planning for both.

If Smith's cobwebs have cleared, he'll start. That, however, is not a certainty.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Do you hear the whispers? They're using words like "overrated," and "Pretenders." They're saying the Bears' so-called #1 Defense was only #1 because they didn't play anybody.

When does the losing streak end? Against the Vikings? Maybe but I doubt it. The Seahawks? Doubtful. The Pack? Not a chance. Maybe the Cardinals since they're about your speed.

Bear fans, look behind you. Do you see all those 6-4 teams? Plus you can't discount the 5-5 Saints, though they DO have a very tough schedule.

6-4 Bucs.
6-4 Vikes
6-4 Seahawks.

They all have one thing in common, they're all playing good football right now. Plus they're hungry. They've got that Eye of the Tiger (to quote Rocky III). They're fired up and itching to knock your team out of the playoff hunt.

Right now the Bears are not hungry. The Bears are not fighting.

The Bears are beaten down. They're weak and they play like it. Just look at their performance last night.

No hunger.
No fire.
No fight.

There will be no "backing" into the playoffs in the NFC North this year. They either step up and knock the other guy down and TAKE their spot in the playoffs or go home.

Right now the Bears are playing like they want to go home.

We'll know more after Sunday. Bears can beat the Vikings if they bring their "A" game. If they get punched in the nose by them however, we'll know that the fight has left Da Bears and they've chosen to sit on the sidelines the rest of the season.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
A recap:
"You guys suck!"
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Well at least "I" didn't suck!

"Is this s**t over yet?"

"At least he can't get by me when I'm sitting on the bench!"

"SAFETY DANCE! IT'S A SAFETY DANCE!"

Maybe it's time we put in our backup QB!
oh wait...

HOLY S**T IT'S CHRISTMAS! THANKS CAMPBELL!

He's SOOO not getting laid tonight!

"But we're the #1 DEFENSE!"
"NOT TONIGHT B***H! TD!"

"Man dem fools can't stop a Tonka Toy!"

"NEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!"

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the December game where we play Chicago, I will actually be rooting for the Bears!
Think about it! We could have Cutler come to GB for a playoff game! That would be great!
We have his number and our D is in his head....

I would love to see us get a matchup with them in the playoffs....

Would also love to see that Seattle re-match.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Not so fast there, cowboy. Here's the exact quote:

"I usually tend to go with the guy that has the hot hand and we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand," Harbaugh said after Monday's 32-7 victory.

Pretty clever, I'd say. Make the Saints divide their focus game planning for both.

If Smith's cobwebs have cleared, he'll start. That, however, is not a certainty.
From what most people have been saying it looks like smith would be cleard to play but CK looks like he will start and this is not good because I believe CK gives them the best chance at winning.

H

HardRightEdge

From what most people have been saying it looks like smith would be cleard to play but CK looks like he will start and this is not good because I believe CK gives them the best chance at winning.

Smith was not cleared to practice as of Wed, so CK is getting first team snaps.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re
Even though we whipped them in week 2, I don't see us being able to catch the Bears because their schedule is cupcake city, outside of playing us and Minny. I'm still not sold on Minny either.

The Bears are 5-1 now and their next 2 games figure to be wins with the crappy Carolinans in town, and then they visit Tennessee where they will abuse Chris Johnson.
They'll be 7-1 at the halfway mark.

After that, they have 2 losable games with Houston at Chicago, and then at San Fran. I think they'll beat Houston.

They finish with the 4 divisional games in the final 6 weeks, with a home game against Seattle and a trip to Arizona sprinked in.

I really can't see them any worse than 11-5 with that slate, and they should be able to go 12-4, losing to us again in Chicago, at San Fran, and one more.

A lot depends on what happens with the Viqueens.

If we finish 11-5 but they 12-4, we'll get the #5 seed and have to play 3 road games probably to get to the Super Bowl. A lot like 2010.

Still, I'd much prefer a bye and then a home game. But that path hasn't worked well for us.

What do you see looking forward, want?
I replied a couple weeks ago. In this case I'm sure ur glad u were wrong. GO PACK GO!!!

H

HardRightEdge

Just heard on the radio the reason there starting CK was NOT based on smiths health... CK gives them a better offense..

The fact Smith was not cleared to practice until today muddies the water. We'll see where it's at this time next week.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
FrankRizzo, please start a thread titled, “I don’t think we’ll win the Super Bowl”.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts