I don't think James Jones gets enough credit..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's frequently referred to as the guy that drops the easy catches, the for-sure TD's, and the irrelevant 3rd or 4th WR. Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and at this point even Cobb shadows over him. You think about his career in GB and recall the EASY TD grab he could have had in the SB before the half, among a handful of other really simple catches.. but to me he seems to make them when they count, and oddly enough when they are the most difficult.

Every TD grab I see him snatch in the endzone is a fight for the ball with him coming down with it, and when it's 3rd and whatever and they throw his way he seems to be clutch. Maybe it's just me but he appears to me like he wants to be challenged, like if the competition aspect is immediately encompassing him he suddenly dials in and has super glue hands, yet when he'd wide open he just fails to do the easy thing.

So I don't know, I just think maybe in dire situations when you need that first down, look JJ's way.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yes, he did play well. But, do you think his recent play may be the result of all the talk in the recent past to "get rid of jj"? Maybe that rumored talk lite the much needed fire under his ***. Whatever it may be, I am glad he has stepped up his game. Hope he can continue at a high level.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, he did play well. But, do you think his recent play may be the result of all the talk in the recent past to "get rid of jj"? Maybe that rumored talk lite the much needed fire under his ***. Whatever it may be, I am glad he has stepped up his game. Hope he can continue at a high level.

The fact GJ has been injured off and on, Driver is just insurance, and Cobb is a slot guy, JJ is getting a lot of snaps. Most guys need that for rhythm and confidence. He has been inconsistent, though, over the course of his career. We'll see if he can keep it up.

One thing Jones does not get much credit for...he's a fine blocker for WR.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ is getting a lot of snaps. Most guys need that for rhythm and confidence. He has been inconsistent, though, over the course of his career. We'll see if he can keep it up.

This is what has been on my mind too. Hopefully being in the rhythm of the game is part of what has been missing from the formula.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been defending James for a long time! I love the guy. Great character, very strong. Great teammate.
For all the drops he gets ripped for, he makes a lot of plays.
What that says is he gets open a lot.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Ya. I mean the guy is one of the hardest workers out there.

Like somebody above said pretty much, uneven playing time is really hard to overcome for a wide reciever. He's a damn good blocker and a team first guy. Really athletic guy, looked nice coming out of San Jose State.

I mean, I don't know what to really say that I haven't already said the last 3 years this guy has been on the "block."

He's pretty good. Ted knew better then to let him go, especially with his contract situation.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been defending James for a long time! I love the guy. Great character, very strong. Great teammate.
For all the drops he gets ripped for, he makes a lot of plays.
What that says is he gets open a lot.
I've done my share of defending of him over the past few years also. Congrats, now we get the opportunity to gloat!

Now only if Mike Neal could do something once he's back...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Jones has had a patch of big drops, we all remember those in the 2010 season. But guess what, he made a lot of big plays in that playoff run also, including important touchdowns in back-to-back road playoff wins.

And then in the Super Bowl, he caught the 2nd most passes for us in that game.

And he's NOT A DIVA.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is discounting the big plays of James Jones. I'm a fan too, but I also don't look at him in a vacuum. I look at him in comparison to Jennings and Nelson. Those guys make the easy catches and most of the hard ones. Jones is a little bit the opposite way, making the hard ones and most of the easy ones. That's probably the big issue for most people. They can likely let a drop slide on a hard catch but latch on to the easy drops a bit more.

I totally agree with the two statements above that he's an accomplished blocker and that he gets open very well. If his only problem is that he needs to be challenged, then he's got to solve that for himself. His main challenge is becoming the #1 or #2 receiver on this team. If he needs more of a challenge than that, it's going to be a frustrating career.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another great night out of James Jones. He may have realized that it was time to make his case as a starter for this team. How can you keep out a guy getting you two TDs each game? It's nice to see him continuing to make the hard catches and now the easier ones too!

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to say much other than he's playing very well and working his *** off. Two games in a row with two TDs is saying something, especially the ones he made last night.

Great watching him last night.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well he's stepped up this year that's for sure...now Finley is the goat. Should be interesting to see how his production goes once Jennings is back.

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but he appears to me like he wants to be challenged, like if the competition aspect is immediately encompassing him he suddenly dials in and has super glue hands, yet when he'd wide open he just fails to do the easy thing.
I play college football, and I can tell you now that I make some very hard catches that people expect not to be caught, and then drop wide open passes. It is simply just concentration. Receivers love it when the ball is either really high or awkward to catch so we need to dial in our concentration to only catching it, to where as if it is a easy catch, we are more focused on making a move or running faster.

Reaction score
Not going to say much other than he's playing very well and working his *** off. Two games in a row with two TDs is saying something, especially the ones he made last night.

Great watching him last night.
3 games in a row with 2 tds. with 7 overall and leading the league by 2 TD's.
Edit: Nevermind I see someone else said the same thing!
Anyways, leading EVERY other receiver or TE in the league in TD's by 2 touchdowns going into the 7th week is very impressive.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I will man up and admit I can eat some humble pie here. Up until a few games ago, JJ was playing average, now he has stepped up his game and played on an all new level. He has made some spectacular catches and his route running and communication has vastly improved. Props to you for stepping up JJ, keep up the good work.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I've been critical of JJ in the past, but mostly in saying that he needed to play elite to be considered as such. Well he's doing it!

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he keeps up this trend, I love his character and personality!! His hands seem to be just fine so far too, keep throwing his way A-Rod!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts