I don't get it

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I come on here and Colledge sucks, Hawk's average, Bigby and Harris ain't no good.

Jeez Guys!

You know, sometimes the individual matchups just aren't that great and guys are going to struggle at times depending who it is they have across from them.

But it sure doesn't seem to take much to throw people under the bus around here.

Harris, for example, ran into a big physical receiver and he had a pretty tough time last week and anybody that might not have looked to great against a guy like Allen this week, well........join the club. Nobody looks good against him.

My point is every week certain guys are going to be severly challenged by personnel on the other team but it's not like they get beat week in week out. Most of the time guys that have had a tough time one week have come back to atone for it the next week.

I've seen Clifton have bad games and Colledge play pretty darn good but now Colledge is a dog and can't block anybody.

The key to why we're 7-1 isn't because all twenty two guys go out each week and beat the guys across from them. MOST of our guys get the best of the other guy and a few have their hands full with some pretty damn good players across from them.

With those guys we may not win that individual battle but they hold their own enough to allow us to win the war. Only the very BEST EVER Hall of Famers beat the player across from them ALL THE TIME.

That's what sets them apart.

The coaches are required to meet the challenge of putting these guys in the best situations they can and sometimes that's not just to win a battle but just damn AVOID DISASTER and come out of the war victorious.

Doesn't mean when a couple of our guys get their *** handed to them that they're not any good. Those same guys have plenty of good days as well and it's a little unrealistic to ask all twenty two guys out there to beat the other twenty two 16 weeks in a row.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats a long one./......i think everyone is trying to say, if this team wants to go deep in the playoffs these are the things that have to be minimalized.....you cant have a boat load of penalties, and players need to step up!.... but i know what your saying

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I don't think it is as much throwing them under the bus as saying.. hey we have a couple nicks along the playing field..

On Colledge.. is it too much for him to pick up a stunt and at least get a hand on the guy? Or at least slow down a bull rushing NFL caliber DT?

On Hawk.. nobody is bashing him.. at least that is not my intent.. more saying hey the guy hasn't reached is potential yet.. he could bring more..

I want this team to win as many games as we can.. allowing our franchise QB to get banged around like he did yesterday isn't a way to achieve that..

So is it only suppose to be.. rah rah.. we are 7-1 and not to point out some of the issues that we see?

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What have you done for me lately?

Bigby was a god on here the first several weeks, and now he has made some boneheaded plays which have hurt us. I hate to see the flags, but Bigby, Harris and Woodson are all physical DB's. It's going to happen once in a while, but it has just happened a little more recently.

I agree no one can be perfect, but people tend to remember the negative things more. Not until someone makes a huge play, like Hawk's INT, do people change their mind.

That being said, we need to limit the penalities. Hopefully being at home and having a full week can cure some of that.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So is it only suppose to be.. rah rah.. we are 7-1 and not to point out some of the issues that we see.

My point is some here are quick on the draw and don't seem to take into consideration that at times some of our players are going to find the guy across from them better than they are. Also there are other things to consider like.......

....We played off five days rest in the second of two consecutive road games against a team with two weeks off AT HOME in a damn tough stadium to play in. About as bad of a scheduling scenario as the NFL could muster. I cannot think of a worse spot that a team could be asked to respond to.

Five days rest against their two weeks and their DL beat our OL at times. What a shock. Quite honestly over the season I think these guys have taken care of Mr. Favre very nicely. I can name several QB's who WISH they got the protection he gets.

I saw a team that collectively got er done in a very difficult situation even though a few players didn't bring their "A" game yesterday.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people are thrilled with our record. I don't see people coming on here dreaming that we are a complete team. We're not. We have weaknesses but we also have the tools to get better. The bottom line is that no matter how good Harris, Woodson and Bigby are, you can't have those big penalties at critical times in the game and beat the good teams.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So is it only suppose to be.. rah rah.. we are 7-1 and not to point out some of the issues that we see.

My point is some here are quick on the draw and don't seem to take into consideration that at times some of our players are going to find the guy across from them better than they are. Also there are other things to consider like.......

....We played off five days rest in the second of two consecutive road games against a team with two weeks off AT HOME in a damn tough stadium to play in. About as bad of a scheduling scenario as the NFL could muster. I cannot think of a worse spot that a team could be asked to respond to.

So if you found a flaw in a few players game then so be it. I saw a team that collectively got er done in a very difficult situation even though a few players didn't bring their "A" game yesterday.

You do make some good points that we can't forget. Yes there are blemishes in our team. We aren't the Patriots or Colts, but we may very well be the third best team in the league. Now people don't have to agree with that, but we have answered nearly all challenges with success this season. The last two games for our team to go through and win was a helluva challenge. They didn't collapse and instead found ways to pull out victory. That should be commended in it's own right. I think we(including myself) do sometimes focus a little too much on what goes wrong rather than what's going well.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I am happy as a Pig knee deep in slop that we are 7-1.. but I want to win it all..

With that said, to win it all, we have area's that need improvement.. we have a golden opportunity here.. that is to have home field through the playoffs and a shot at a ring.

We aren't flawless... and I won't want to be either.. I love the moxy of this team and the passion in which they play the game.

In the words of our HC.. " we need to clean our house" at certain positions.. nothing more. Well at least for me..

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

You do make some good points that we can't forget. Yes there are blemishes in our team. We aren't the Patriots or Colts, but we may very well be the third best team in the league. Now people don't have to agree with that, but we have answered nearly all challenges with success this season. The last two games for our team to go through and win was a helluva challenge. They didn't collapse and instead found ways to pull out victory. That should be commended in it's own right. I think we(including myself) do sometimes focus a little too much on what goes wrong rather than what's going well.

Thank You.

What I mainly speak about is statements as rediculous as a few weeks ago that Favre may not have the arm strength anymore because he underthrew two whole passe. Or, Al Harris isn't good anymore because one, big and phyiscal WR got the better of him one afternoon. Or, our OL sucks because a very good and rested Chief's D line got to Favre some when our guys barely got time for a sandwich between games.

I mean let's get real.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
warhawk said:

Thank You.

What I mainly speak about is statements as rediculous as a few weeks ago that Favre may not have the arm strength anymore because he underthrew two whole passe. Or, Al Harris isn't good anymore because one, big and phyiscal WR got the better of him one afternoon. Or, our OL sucks because a very good and rested Chief's D line got to Favre some when our guys barely got time for a sandwich between games.
Well said.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am happy as a Pig knee deep in slop that we are 7-1.. but I want to win it all..

With that said, to win it all, we have area's that need improvement.. we have a golden opportunity here.. that is to have home field through the playoffs and a shot at a ring.

We aren't flawless... and I won't want to be either.. I love the moxy of this team and the passion in which they play the game.

In the words of our HC.. " we need to clean our house" at certain positions.. nothing more. Well at least for me..

I understand totally. I am pointing out only that at certain times, in certain situations, against certain players, ALL our guys may not have great games.

To me, what's important, is that COLLECTIVELY the team does what's needed to win which very much means certain players picking it up and covering the backs of other guys that may be in a struggle.

It's a TEAM sport called football. Every player doesn't suit up and beat every player on the other team every time. We are where we are because we make up for whoever out there is struggling to hold their own.

I think it's very accurate to say that every single person in this forum KNEW the Green Bay Packers were NOT the most talented team in this league coming into this season.

A little secret. Nothing has changed. What makes this team good isn't that we win in all phases of the game. We don't.

I personally love watching how games unfold and seeing which units are failing and how other units are setting their jaws and saying "O.K., this one's up to us."

It's been an awesome year to watch.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I understand totally. I am pointing out only that at certain times, in certain situations, against certain players, ALL our guys may not have great games.

To me, what's important, is that COLLECTIVELY the team does what's needed to win which very much means certain players picking it up and covering the backs of other guys that may be in a struggle.

It's a TEAM sport called football. Every player doesn't suit up and beat every player on the other team every time. We are where we are because we make up for whoever out there is struggling to hold their own.

I agree it is a team sport and that players have to make up for matchups that don't favor the team. No denying that at all, but when a player is struggling as Colledge has this year, is it not fair to address it at somepoint.

Maybe a wake-up call is all he needs.. someone to play in his spot for a couple of series or a half.. that is called coaching.. not only to teach but to motivate players to get a certain level of play out of them. To me, it is time for Colledge to either step up his game or take a seat for a while and earn your way back.

To criticise a player isn't a bad thing, it is part of the game. If I made a bad play on the field, I certainly wanted someone to say something about it.. if not the coaches, the player next to me.. kind like carry your share damn it.

I think that may be part of my issue.. I still look at the game from a players standpoint.. not from a fans.. hence why I don't post here during games.. I would **** off alot of people with my posts.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will always be that way.........some see the glass as half full, some see it as half empty. Am i thrilled we are 7-1? YES! Do i see room for improvement? Yes again. But so does MM, and Favre too. Look how far we have come, even with the weak points! Imagine if we get to where we are hitting on all points of our game!
I, like Pack93z said here, want to "Win it all!" And to do so, we had better be able to get to where by the end of the season, we don't have the stupid mental mistakes that had we been playing a team like NE, would have ended up with a big "L" for us. We have found ways to overcome all season so far. If we can put it all together, we will be considered in the "Elite!" And HOPEFULLY a realistic shot at another world championship.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the players mentioned here, the only one I've complained about is Colledge, and only because his play has been below par all season long.

I agree that some fans have been a little trigger-happy, and I appreciate your perspective. But I don't think it's been too bad here overall.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Of the players mentioned here, the only one I've complained about is Colledge, and only because his play has been below par all season long.

I agree that some fans have been a little trigger-happy, and I appreciate your perspective. But I don't think it's been too bad here overall.

McCarthy said in his latest press conference that Colledge played poorly Sunday and needs to play better. This was a direct comment whereas normally MM will not be so blatant and will talk about contributing factors and things like that. This is going to be a tough task this week with the interior of the Vikes line and it will be interesting how Colledge responds.

The last time Colledge lost his job(early last year) he came back and won it back with a vengence.

Pack93z

Reaction score
McCarthy said in his latest press conference that Colledge played poorly Sunday and needs to play better. This was a direct comment whereas normally MM will not be so blatant and will talk about contributing factors and things like that. This is going to be a tough task this week with the interior of the Vikes line and it will be interesting how Colledge responds.

The last time Colledge lost his job(early last year) he came back and won it back with a vengence.

Exactly what I was saying yesterday..somehow wake the kid up and get him playing ball at a higher level..

It isn't only Colledge, but he seems to be the weakest link overall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

WHY should he lose his job to get a fire under his ***? And this would be the SECOND time?

Is he that complacient in that he just has to show up and he thinks job is his?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if Colledge get beat up by Allen. Allen is probably gonna be an All-Pro!

What I don't like Colledge getting beat up by Alfonso Boone!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the OL will come together better when Wells returns. We may be underestimating the difference Wells will make, directing and leading the line. Spitz did an ok job filling in, but he's not of the same caliber as Wells at this point.

GO PACK GO!!!

Pack93z

Reaction score
I watched the game again last night, Colledge had a little better game than I first thought, but the entire interior was getting beat with stunts, the reads and pick ups were poor with both Spitz and Wells at center.

Colledge again got beat a couple of times straight up and needs to pick up his game, he plays way to high in his stance and I don't care if he could lift a Mack truck, if the guy across from you is lower you are going to get beat.

Allen was beating everyone, but the gap between Wells and Colledge was a sieve.. Wells was engaged so not knowing the pickups it appeared that Colledge missed his assignments quite a few times.

Again.. the only point is that he needs to pickup his game in the running and pass protection, but so does the entire interior of the line. IMO.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge had to have a bad game for MM to just come out and say he played bad. That is not a normal McCarthy quote. He seldom makes mention of an individual players poor play.

The one thing we cannot allow is pressure from the middle. Brett (any QB) does not do well when they come from there. He can move around and step up when they come from the side but not up the gut.

The pick before the half resulted from Colledge allowing pressure up the middle.

The thing I like about this team is MM usually has an answer for stuff and my guess is that even though the Vikes interior line is tough we will not see that kind of center pressure again this week.

That's why we're a legitimately good football team. These guys can overcome and create positive outcomes in areas where they played poorly just the week before.

Pack93z

Reaction score
You know who Colledge looks alot like right now.. Mike Wahle in his first full season at Guard.. I kept seeing Wahle out there with the same type of issues of playing high and being unsure of his assignments.. hopefully with more time he will blossom into the second comming of Mike Wahle for the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts