I called it ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys,

What did I tell you guys about how the Vikings would struggle the last 3 games of their season because of the highly-ranked passing defenses of opposing teams?

I called this entire Vikings facade right from the start this year: Their O-line is an over-hyped sham and when opposing defenses do not have to blitz to bring pressure, the Vikings' offense is doomed to failure. Opposing defenses can leave everybody in coverage and "sit" on the runs.

Minnesota will never make the Super Bowl unless they can manage to face Green Bay and then New Orleans. Philly, New York and Arizona will eat them alive.

The really unfortunate and misleading aspect of this all is the fact Brett Favre is going to be blamed for having a late-season meltdown, yet nobody will have had the foresight (except me, of course, but I'm a cut above.) and common sense to see the pass defending rankings of Minnesota's last 5 opponents of the season, which really is the reason for the struggles in the passing game. This is not unlike the way Tony Romo is vilified for his December play, without looking at the opponents he is having to face. I think this type of coverage and reporting is very misleading and continue to be amazed at the high numbers of followers that have great difficulties thinking independently.

On that note, I look forward to an exciting post season and ya'll have a Merry Christmas.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are so damn smart; I truly can't believe it. We are all better for having you in the forums to share your amazing expertise with all of us.

I hope your Christmas sucks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys,

What did I tell you guys about how the Vikings would struggle the last 3 games of their season because of the highly-ranked passing defenses of opposing teams?

I called this entire Vikings facade right from the start this year: Their O-line is an over-hyped sham and when opposing defenses do not have to blitz to bring pressure, the Vikings' offense is doomed to failure. Opposing defenses can leave everybody in coverage and "sit" on the runs.

Minnesota will never make the Super Bowl unless they can manage to face Green Bay and then New Orleans. Philly, New York and Arizona will eat them alive.

The really unfortunate and misleading aspect of this all is the fact Brett Favre is going to be blamed for having a late-season meltdown, yet nobody will have had the foresight (except me, of course, but I'm a cut above.) and common sense to see the pass defending rankings of Minnesota's last 5 opponents of the season, which really is the reason for the struggles in the passing game. This is not unlike the way Tony Romo is vilified for his December play, without looking at the opponents he is having to face. I think this type of coverage and reporting is very misleading and continue to be amazed at the high numbers of followers that have great difficulties thinking independently.

On that note, I look forward to an exciting post season and ya'll have a Merry Christmas.

I dont get it then???

If your saying the passing D of other teams is so great and Brett is suppose to be the best why isnt he making them look worse?

So if thats the case wouldnt some of the blame lay on his feet after all he is the q/b

Thats not me being a smart ***...

I am serious...You say we cant blame Brett but your telling us the passing offense is suffering, so why cant Brett be blamed?

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it then???

If your saying the passing D of other teams is so great and Brett is suppose to be the best why isnt he making them look worse?

So if thats the case wouldnt some of the blame lay on his feet after all he is the q/b

Thats not me being a smart ***...

I am serious...You say we cant blame Brett but your telling us the passing offense is suffering, so why cant Brett be blamed?

What you are seeing is EXACTLY what happened in the NFC Championship game against the Giants when Green Bay could muster only 27 yards rushing and the onus is put on Brett Favre to find "open" receivers, where none exist.

You guys should be happy that Minny is finally being exposed, which means there's a good chance Green Bay won't have to face the Vikings, meaning Green Bay's playoff run could be longer than it would if it faces Minnesota.

My point is that I've basically said this the entire season about the offense, yet was told by SKOL and others that I had no clue what I was writing about, yet now my points are being proven every time Minnesota faces an opposing defense that can pressure the QB without blitzing.

Believe me, if I felt Brett was to blame, you'd all hear about it yesterday. The problem is, what can you blame Brett for? Getting pressured on every dropback? Checking out of running plays that are doomed to failure from the start???

If anybody is interested in the truth, it is there for everybody to see. The Vikings have regressed running the ball because they were too myopic not to re-sign Matt Birk. It is painfully obvious that HUGE O-line cannot run block to save its life. The formula for success with Favre is easy: You have a decent running game and decent amount of time to throw, and Brett dissects defenses. We've seen it all year. Show me the game where Brett consistently overthrew open receivers, or checked out of running plays when the running game was dominating - nobody can because it didn't happen.

So, the main point of this thread was for people to be critical of the critics of Favre because it's one thing to be ahead of the curve when seeing patterns develop, and another to spout off gibberish without understanding the situation in its entirety. If the Panthers game was in September, that #4 passing defense would have still dominated the Vikings. Or, is it more realistic and accurate to believe Favre suddenly turns into a pumpkin at midnight on November 30th??? Think about it.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude you seriously thibk that we can make a deep playoff run? The packers have the most undisciplinef team with the mosy penalties, our secondary gave up over 500 yards to a playoff csliber QB, even though the pittsburgh game was close we haven't won a quality oppent road game, the list goes on and on. Packers make playoffs but lose out in the wildcard game.. End of story.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude you seriously thibk that we can make a deep playoff run? The packers have the most undisciplinef team with the mosy penalties, our secondary gave up over 500 yards to a playoff csliber QB, even though the pittsburgh game was close we haven't won a quality oppent road game, the list goes on and on. Packers make playoffs but lose out in the wildcard game.. End of story.

unfortunatley, im gonna have to agree with you. i dont think this team is capable of making a deep playoff run. however i think we can get through the wildcard round, but theres no way we go further than that. but id love to be proven wrong!

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who have the Packers lost to that is currently in the playoff hunt in the NFC?

Green Bay is going to put the fear of God into any team it faces in the playoffs, save Minnesota. Believe it!

Zeppelinelite51

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good Question

and yet when the Pack were struggling all we heard was "Rodgers this. Rodgers that" "never be as good as Favre" Blah Blah Blah...but yet now "NO" blame can be thrown on Judas's shoulders? come on man! Hell he is total command since he wont even listen to his head coach, so he should be blamed for something.

Not everything though since he cant play on defense or special teams (eventhough apparently when your talking about the Packers that all is Rodgers fault)

:viksux:

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hauschild, for the 15 billionth time, no one is saying to put ALL the blame on Favre, just some. I fear that you actually do realize this and are afraid to think of such a terrible thing. Live in your fantasy world, that's fine I guess. Just don't try to dispute facts, when they're clear as day.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, when the Packers' offense had problems it was Rodgers' fault but now that MN is having issues it is the O line and not #4. Okay, gotcha. :dull:

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't really get why Arizona would beat Minni, but not New Orleans. New Orleans is basically Arizona on steroids. Their passing game is at the very least just as good, they run the ball better, and both teams have pretty mediocre defenses. Arizona might be better against the run, but that's pretty much all they have on New Orleans.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hauschild, for the 15 billionth time, no one is saying to put ALL the blame on Favre, just some. I fear that you actually do realize this and are afraid to think of such a terrible thing. Live in your fantasy world, that's fine I guess. Just don't try to dispute facts, when they're clear as day.

No fantasy - all reality. That is why I provided solid facts and sound reasoning in my argument.

Anybody that believes one player can overcome the shortcomings of an entire team ALL the time is living in a fantasy.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really get why Arizona would beat Minni, but not New Orleans. New Orleans is basically Arizona on steroids. Their passing game is at the very least just as good, they run the ball better, and both teams have pretty mediocre defenses. Arizona might be better against the run, but that's pretty much all they have on New Orleans.

New Orleans defense is worse than Minnesota's. Arizona is to Minnesota what Minnesota is to Green Bay - a match-up nightmare.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New Orleans defense is worse than Minnesota's. Arizona is to Minnesota what Minnesota is to Green Bay - a match-up nightmare.

I believe New Orleans would be a match up nightmare for MN. Saints have the most take aways, combine that with facing Brett Favre late in the year, especially the way Peterson and their O-Line is playing, and the Saints will have a field day.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, when the Packers' offense had problems it was Rodgers' fault but now that MN is having issues it is the O line and not #4. Okay, gotcha. :dull:

#4 is a problem during december mostly in cold weather. IDK about the Cards game but since Minnesota will play the rest of their playoff games in a dome I doubt Favre will have any problems.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 is a problem during december mostly in cold weather. IDK about the Cards game but since Minnesota will play the rest of their playoff games in a dome I doubt Favre will have any problems.

If Philadelphia were to get the first round bye over Minnesota, Then Minnesota would end up having to travel to Philly assuming they win the Wild Card game. That would cause a lot of troubles for Favre.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Pugger hit it right on the nutz. Haush is flat out full of it and a fulltime Favre apologist. My gawd, I'd have to have a hole drilled in my skull and have half of my brain sucked out to make such a post. OY!!

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No fantasy - all reality. That is why I provided solid facts and sound reasoning in my argument.

Anybody that believes one player can overcome the shortcomings of an entire team ALL the time is living in a fantasy.

So, every time Faver threw an INT or incompletion this year, it was because it was a mistake on either the O-Line, Receivers, or Coach's part? I'm just trying to see if I've got this right.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As I've stated a million times now, opposing DEFENSES have more to do with Brett's struggles late in the seasons than does the cold.

I'm not sure why people are so frightened of facts and abhor the thought of actually doing some research on this matter, but they are. Look it up. Look at the rankings of the passing defenses Favre has faced this season and besides Green Bay, you will see a clear correlation between Favre's numbers and the rank of the opposing passing defense. When he faced Green Bay in the first meeting, the Packers passing defense was #18, so it wasn't solid. When he faced them the second time, they were ranked #9, clearly better, but this simply shows how poorly the Packers' defense matches up with Minnesota's offense. Likewise, although the Cards' passing defense was ranked #30 when they faced Favre, they are a match-up nightmare for Minny - for "some" reason and I think it is because Whisenhunt's defense is similar to Pitt's - another menace for Favre over the years.

I expect Favre to struggle Monday nite. Because it is cold? Absolutely not. Rather, because the Bears' pass defense is ranked #7. I also expect Favre to struggle at home the following week against New York. "But, it isn't cold in the dome." you say? No, it isn't, but the Giants' passing defense is ranked #10 and they're en fuego.

Minnesota's is going to lose to New York, so if they can't beat Chicago, they're not going to be able to play Green Bay, because Green Bay is going to have the best wildcard record. Minny is gonna have to play probably New York again, maybe Dallas. They're in trouble, possibly with a bye, and definitely without.

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, every time Faver threw an INT or incompletion this year, it was because it was a mistake on either the O-Line, Receivers, or Coach's part? I'm just trying to see if I've got this right.

Well, that depends, I guess. If we're talking a "majority" of the time, then yes, Favre is usually NOT the problem. Sure, he misses receivers on occasion, but it certainly much less 5% of the time. When Favre can step up in the pocket or can roll out comfortably, the man is about as money a QB as ever existed.

After all, there is a reason why he wins more games than he loses WHEREVER he goes.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that depends, I guess. If we're talking a "majority" of the time, then yes, Favre is usually NOT the problem. Sure, he misses receivers on occasion, but it certainly much less 5% of the time. When Favre can step up in the pocket or can roll out comfortably, the man is about as money a QB as ever existed.

After all, there is a reason why he wins more games than he loses WHEREVER he goes.

You wanna suck on the wee wee of Favre just a lil more:eat:?? That is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen! I dont know a QB in the NFL that isnt good when they can "step up in the pocket" or "roll out comfortably."Lay off Favres little favre, and just enjoy him crumbling like everyone said HE would because it is HIS fault!!

OP
OP
H

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know a QB in the NFL that isnt good when they can "step up in the pocket" or "roll out comfortably.

I know several of them who fail to throw consistently accurate balls. To name just a few:

Dante Culpepper
Matt Stafford
Matt Ryan
Jama Russell
Kyle Orton
Matt Cassel
Seneca Wallace
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith
Bruce Gradkowski
Chad Henne
Chris Redman
Vince Young
Kerry Collins
Trent Edwards
Brady Quinn
Derek Andersen
Jake Delhomme
Matt Leinert
Mark Sanchez
Jason Campbell

These are all QB's that on any given throw whether they have protection or not, there is no telling where the ball will be placed.

Brett Favre has an uncanny knack of putting the ball almost EXACTLY where it needs to be the vast, vast majority of the time and often times even when he has to counter a collapsing pocket or being chased from behind.

I'm surprised many of you people haven't picked up on this after 19 years of watching him play. I'm guessing you also then believe that the numbers he has generated over the years would happen to basically any NFL QB that can last 19 years as a starting QB.

We have to give accurate weights to ALL variables in this equation when evaluating Brett Favre. And, I am arguing that saying Brett Favre falters in December has more to do with WHO he is playing rather than which month he is playing in and my analysis bears this out: Favre's final four opponents are ranked in passing defense:
Cincy - 12
Carolina - 4
Chicago - 7
New York - 10

...In which I argue that these defensive rankings had/will have more bearing on Favre's production than the fact these games occur in December and early January.

What I am saying isn't ground-breaking, but you seldom will find any talking head or fan introduce these facts.
:happy0005:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lately MN's O line hasn't been so awesome. In AZ and again against Carolina AP didn't get many yards and the Ancient One was sacked several times. Warms the cockels of my heart just visualizing it. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts