1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I Always thought this guy could have made an Impact !!!

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by WinnipegPackFan, May 2, 2006.

1. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Patriots QB Flutie considering retirement

NFL.com wire reports

BOSTON (May 1, 2006) -- With the NFL draft over, 43-year-old Doug Flutie is expected to announce this week if he will end a career that included a Heisman Trophy and took him through three pro football leagues.

"I'm just going to take my time to make my decision," Flutie said May 1, and indicated he would not want to play for a team other than the New England Patriots. "I love being home."

Flutie's agent, Kristen Kuliga, said the former Boston College star who lives in Natick expected him to decide later this week.

Flutie, a backup quarterback for the Patriots last season, wanted to wait until the draft ended before deciding, she said in a telephone interview.

Flutie said he's spoken to many teams, as well as to networks about broadcasting.

"I still have that passion but you've got to make that decision if you can stay healthy through the year," Flutie said at an appearance at a Boston high school where he demonstrated drop kicks, like the one he made for an extra point last season.

Flutie played sparingly in five games last season and completed 5 of 10 passes for 29 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. After winning the Heisman at Boston College in 1984, he played in the USFL, the Canadian Football League and with Buffalo, Chicago, San Diego and New England in the NFL.

Flutie won the CFL's most outstanding player award six times and the league's Grey Cup title game three times then returned to the NFL in 1998 with Buffalo. In his last four seasons, the first three of them with the Chargers, he played in a total of 15 games.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick referred questions to Flutie.

Asked if there was a place for Flutie with the Patriots, Belichick said after the draft, "You'd have to talk to Doug about what Doug's future is."

Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, a seventh-round draft pick last year from Southern California, and Todd Mortensen are the only signed quarterbacks on the Patriots roster.

"Matt is improving," Belichick said. "I think we saw that last year."

Flutie, who stands about 5-feet-10, left BC as the school's all-time leader in passing yards with 10,579. An outstanding scrambler, he is most remembered for his 48-yard touchdown pass to Gerard Phelan on the final play that gave BC a 47-45 upset win at Miami on Nov. 23, 1984.

He made another memorable play last Jan. 1 in the Patriots last game of the season when he converted the first dropkick extra point in the NFL since the 1941 title game. That cut Miami's lead to 28-20 and the Dolphins won 28-26.

"If that ends up being my last play, it wouldn't be bad," Flutie said after the game.

He was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the 11th round in 1985 but chose to play for the USFL's New Jersey Generals, owned by Donald Trump.

He played five games for Chicago the next two seasons and 17 for New England from 1987 to 1989 before spending the next eight seasons in the CFL with British Columbia, Calgary and Toronto.

He joined Buffalo in 1998 where he saw his most action in the NFL, playing 39 games over three years. He started all 16 games for San Diego in 2001 then spent the next three years as backup to Drew Brees. In April 2005, Flutie signed with his hometown Patriots for his 21st season in pro football.
  2. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    "Damnit.....what is taking so long? He is holding the Patriots hostage. This just killed the Patriots during free agency. He just wants attention. Why did he wait til after the draft....the selfish bastard"

Yours Truly

tromadz
  3. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A classic case where a guy's measureables such as height and weight were given WAY to much creedence over the fact that all he did was win.

Dwight Freeney anyone? Mike Singletary? Warrick Dunn?

All some guys need is a chance.
  4. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Flutie never amounted to much anyhow. Another Heisman winner with a promising future. Another bust. I never believe in the hype over Heisman winners anyhow.
  5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Flopped?...he was never truly given a chance to perform in the NFL until a decade into his pro career.
  6. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What?! He was awesome when he finally got a chance with Buffalo. Doesn't anyone remember Flutie Flakes?
  7. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No doubt, rabid. And what he did in the Canadian league speaks for itself. Guy was a winner, period. Hell, he was just ahead of his time a little bit...he was Marcus Vick 20 years prior...and he could actually deliver the football accurately.

He got shafted by the "run fast, jump high" worshipers..when all he was ,and is, is a football player.
  8. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My son's, friend's, godfather caught that hail mary pass from him at BC against Miami. Gerard Phelan. That makes me practcally related to Doug Flutie :lol:
  9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    My brother had some contact with that guy ( guy that caught the ball not the godfather) LOL
  10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ha, you compared favre to a backup QB.

Ingrate.

sad you cant tell the difference.
  11. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    HEHHEHEHE
  12. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a backup never would have gotten the chance to throw that many interceptions :rotflmao:
  13. Freeway3137

Freeway3137 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  14. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Doug Flutie, retiring at the ripe old age of 800...

Dick!