I agree with Walker

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay so here is the real situation, he had an amazing 2004 year, he wanted more money and a long term deal to lock in his future as a packer and set him self up for life.

Packers said no, and he ended up tearing his ACL and now his career is in jepordy. I Feel for him because he wanted to be taken care of and the packers orginzation said no, we dont belive your that good of an investment.

So he got hurt and is in a bind because the francise he thought was going to be his home didnt care for him.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weissman1989 said:
Okay so here is the real situation, he had an amazing 2004 year, he wanted more money and a long term deal to lock in his future as a packer and set him self up for life.

Packers said no, and he ended up tearing his ACL and now his career is in jepordy. I Feel for him because he wanted to be taken care of and the packers orginzation said no, we dont belive your that good of an investment.

So he got hurt and is in a bind because the francise he thought was going to be his home didnt care for him.

ok so here's the REAL situation...walker has a contract...period, end of story!!!!!!!!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had one good year. The Packers have been burned hard by players that had one or two good years and got a new contract. Just look at Cledius Hunt. If he didn't raise a stink about it and didn't get injured he most likely would of gotten a new contract before the season was over. I can understand being sympathetic to him, it sucks that he got injured, but any sympathy I had for him went out the window when he started dissing the franchise this offseason. If he wanted to save his career he would of stayed quiet this offseason, worked hard, and played his heart out in order to get a new contract as a free agent that is high paying. He can still pull it off if he apologizes and gets his act together but I doubt he will. Football teams can't afford to rework contracts every time a player thinks he outperforms the one he is on, the same goes with teams can't take back money if they feel the player underperforms their contract.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha nice packgirl

yeah i dont know i hear TT and JDubb are in talks again so we could have a great situation on our hands

he maybe should have deserved money, but he did sign a voluntary contract... so tough luck really i think TT handled it right.. and it seems now he is crawling back

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moreso than TT handling it right. Javon handled it wrong. I really believe the Packers would have done something for him this year if he just would have kept his mouth shut. Besides, if the Packers "took care of him" and signed him to the long term big dollar contract he wanted he would be "stuck" playing in Green Bay which he has such a disdain for.

The way I look at it the Packers did him a favor by not "locking" him into a long term contract.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok yeh he earned more money. He acted like a baby. and I dont see players giving back money when they play bad.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if javon has any brains, he'll come play in Green Bay this year regardless of how he feels about the organization... and play his @ss off. that's the only good option he has. if we offer a good extension and he takes it, great. if not, then he better perform this year so he can get paid when he becomes a FA next year. i wonder if Woodson's signing is going to have any effect on how javon feels... my gut says 'yes'.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definetly bozz the signin of woodson might influence javon, especially since MM told woodson that he could play receiver if he wanted.

thats if nothing else more camp competition

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't see woodson actually playing offense. i mean, what do i know, though? but seriously, i don't think it's gonna happen. i think woodson and javon might get along pretty well. woodson is a very high-profile superstar, and that's what javon wants to be. i think woodson could sway javon to come back.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker got what.......6 million? And played good ONE year.......and he's crying about WHAT??? If he didn't blow his money, he could live off what he already got for LIFE.
Here's the kind of guy he is.......last year, he signed to autograph football cards for Upper Deck company. I got one of the redemption cards for his autograph. After 10 months, the company finally contacted me and told me they were sorry, Walker never signed the cards he was contracted to do. Surprise surprise! Walker not honoring a contract..............so they sent me an autographed card of James Lofton, and a bonus one of Steeler Mel Blount.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EEEEEEDDER!!!!
Haven't heard from you in AGES!!!
Yup......i got TWO hall of famer sigs cause Walker in undependable. Pretty cool!

Had to EDIT that........you came up as your wifey poo!!!

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
..............so they sent me an autographed card of James Lofton, and a bonus one of Steeler Mel Blount.

Mel Blount!! How cool is that!! The man behind the bump&run rules on cornerbacks :lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weissman1989 said:

I don't mind him asking for money. I disagree with how he approached the situation. I don't think you make threats to get your way. I don't think you take it to the public. I think you setup a meeting with your GM and talk about like men. Now this wasn't all Javon's doing. Part of the reason was poor guidance by Rosenhaus at the time but none the less Javon went with it. I much rather of seen him handle it in a mature manner rather than bambling about holding out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year i blamed Rosenhaus........this year though Walker proved it was all him. He fired Rosenhaus, then still acted like a putz.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
He had one good year. The Packers have been burned hard by players that had one or two good years and got a new contract. Just look at Cledius Hunt. If he didn't raise a stink about it and didn't get injured he most likely would of gotten a new contract before the season was over. I can understand being sympathetic to him, it sucks that he got injured, but any sympathy I had for him went out the window when he started dissing the franchise this offseason. If he wanted to save his career he would of stayed quiet this offseason, worked hard, and played his heart out in order to get a new contract as a free agent that is high paying. He can still pull it off if he apologizes and gets his act together but I doubt he will. Football teams can't afford to rework contracts every time a player thinks he outperforms the one he is on, the same goes with teams can't take back money if they feel the player underperforms their contract.

I agree with the way TT is handling this. Basically Javon has no choice but to honor the contract. But there are many cases where players underperform and teams try to rework the contract. We did it last year with Sharper, but were unable to keep him. We also did the same with Wahle. Philly was suing TO to get some of his signing bonus money back.

We can say honor the contract all we like, but in the end both sides would like to renegotiate after the first year -- of course in each case it's only one side that will gain any benefit.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Last year i blamed Rosenhaus........this year though Walker proved it was all him. He fired Rosenhaus, then still acted like a putz.

Nice summary. One thing that makes Andrew Brandt a good negotiator is understanding the position of the other side. It isn't always money.

Walker's big flaw was not understanding the Packer cap situation.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
cheesey said:

Nice summary. One thing that makes Andrew Brandt a good negotiator is understanding the position of the other side. It isn't always money.

Walker's big flaw was not understanding the Packer cap situation.

Thanks Cali! And GREAT follow up comments!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you want to negotiate a deal there are certain rules to be successful.

Rule #1: Always negotiate from a position of power if possible.

Rule #2: Bring humble pie with you when your negotiating from a position of weakness.
Bring your bluffing, brash, bully *** to the party when your not the one with the power and you are going to get smoked.

Sniff...Sniff.... it smells Cuban to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts