Hutson vs Rice

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In another thread the debate of Hutson vs Rice came up. I felt it would be best as its own thread.

So anyone want to chime in? I know there will be a split but this should be interesting.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
These comparisons are so hard, the game has evolved. There could not have been a Rice in Hutson's time, people didn't know enough about sports conditioning. For how they changed the league it's hands down Hutson.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I have to go with Hutson.

He evolved the passing game into it is today and did everything he could with it. Pass interference was different then and your QB's weren't as refined as they are in Rice's era. He played Offense, Defense and Special Teams and made all his records in less seasons, less games per season, and if it wasn't for him, it would probably take eons to develop. His stats alone would outrank teams, not just players, and that is admirable. And done it on one team.

Rice is a modern great, and deserves the praises that he gets. He had several great years, and with hold many records, some broken already, most not. Hutson's held for a long time. And the best Super Bowl Era receiver goes to Rice, best football receiver goes to Hutson.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In another thread the debate of Hutson vs Rice came up. I felt it would be best as its own thread.

So anyone want to chime in? I know there will be a split but this should be interesting.

Now I know that what I write is not read.

Average receptions per game Hutson wins.
Average TD per game Hutson wins
Average TDs per catch Hutson wins
Average yds per catch Hutsons wins
Number of FG kicked Hutson wins
Number of XP kicked Hutson wins
Number of interceptions Hudson wins

Pro-Football-Reference.com - Pro Football Statistics and History

The only area Rice wins is when you look at career marks. Well one receiver was playing a 10 game season, the other 16 games. So I broke their stats down to a per game basis.

Also, nobody could touch Rice after 5 yards down field, Hutson could get ***** as long as the ball was not in the air.

Case closed.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18554]Don Hutson or Jerry Rice: Who is the Greatest WR? - Draft Countdown Forums[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the most talented player? I have absolutely no idea, they played on such different eras, that it's impossible to compare.

But who did more in their own circumstances? Hutson, hands down. Who was Hutson's quarterback? Nobody knows from the top of their head. Name another wrs in Hutson's era? You can't. (It was Herber and Isbell, both in the HOF, but they made it there because of Hutson.)

I don't know if he was more talented, because he played in an era where there weren't that many quality players out there, because the sport and the technology wasn't as advanced.

But there hasn't been such a disparity bewteen talents as there was with Hutson and everybody else in his era. Nobody came even close to him in any position, he was by leaps and bounds the best player in football, and for an incredible period of time, almost a decade of one single man dominating everything. The only competition where Sammy Baugh and even then it wasn't even close. And he did that being a wide receiver, not a RB or a QB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't know if he was more talented, because he played in an era where there weren't that many quality players out there, because the sport and the technology wasn't as advanced.

But there hasn't been such a disparity bewteen talents as there was with Hutson and everybody else in his era. Nobody came even close to him in any position, he was by leaps and bounds the best player in football, and for an incredible period of time, almost a decade of one single man dominating everything. The only competition where Sammy Baugh and even then it wasn't even close. And he did that being a wide receiver, not a RB or a QB.

And he played defense and special teams at the same time. Illegal contact meant the receiver didn't get back up after being blind-sided or clothes-lined 15 yards downfield.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone else ever lead the league in receiving TDs and INTs their rookie year? doubt it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
typical ignorant argument for rice - He has the most yards and TDs!!!

easy response - ohh... so by your reasoning then Emmitt and sexter are the best at their position?

typical argument against hutson - duuuuuuude he never played against any black players and people were tiny compared to now.

easy response - duuuuude... He played ST, D, and offense. yes the players were smaller, but I dont believe the words "pass interference" had been uttered yet.

No one has dominated like Jim Brown and Don Hutson.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The way Hutson helped to develop the game of football I would have to wonder if the position would be what it is today, if it would have been what it was when Rice played and therefore whether Rice would have the statistics he does. Frankly these types of comparisons are academic at best.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall reading about an interview with Hutson that I can't find to prove. I think it was in the early to mid 90's, probably when Sharpe broke his team records. He was asked if he were playing now how many receptions he'd get. He responded with about 70-75. When informed that that wasn't as impressive anymore he replied, "Well I am 80 years-old." (or however old he was in the interview.)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In response to Randy Moss's comments this week on being the best.... BUMP

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I might argue that Moss was the most talented of the three, but talent alone does not make you the greatest.

Rice was a part of a great team in addition to being incredibly talented and fast, and out-worked all of the competition to be the best of his time. Hutson redefined the position with his outstanding play, athleticism, and pure talent to be the best of all time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's a difference of modern vs classic. Rice was in a period of pass revolution, while Hutson did what he did in an era where the pass didn't happen. It's hard to say, but I'll give it to Hutson because ironman-ing takes a lot more out of you, even if it also takes out of your opponent.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Wonder how well Hutson would have done if he had been able to wear some sticky tacky glue gloves that the WR of the modern era has to help them out? Don't say they dont help because they are like glue on your hands, my son got some and he made one handed grabs as a 10 year old...lol

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when comparing people of different generations I almost always go with the more modern guy because they play against better talent. As sports progress players get bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, so they more recent guy can always play against the people of old and very rarely could a player from the past play now. Obviously it's a little different with rule changes and I am not sure how Rice would hold up getting mauled up and down the field but I will say in my eyes Jerry Rice was the best receiver ever, followed by Randy Moss.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
when comparing people of different generations I almost always go with the more modern guy because they play against better talent. As sports progress players get bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, so they more recent guy can always play against the people of old and very rarely could a player from the past play now. Obviously it's a little different with rule changes and I am not sure how Rice would hold up getting mauled up and down the field but I will say in my eyes Jerry Rice was the best receiver ever, followed by Randy Moss.

How are you to know that a plyer from the past wouldn't be able to play in today's NFL? You don't and can't make that assumption. I think Hutson was good enough and well rounded enough to play in any era and succeed. He was a gifted athelte and played iron man ball....ask any modern era player to play both sides of the ball and they will be crying like a baby to their agent in a heartbeat.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Obviously over the centuries - and even decades, humans have gotten bigger, stronger and faster. So when comparing players from different eras/generations I always compare them to their contemporaries. Players like Babe Ruth and Don Hutson performed so far above their contemporaries they are to me among the greatest players in their sports of all times. IOW compare Don Hutson to the next best WR of his era and compare Rice to the next best of his. Of course other things factor in like level of competition in the past but so do "unfair" advantages for modern day players like PEDs, advances of medicine and better nutrition.

Members online

Latest posts