Votes: 15 48.4%
  • need to see a few more games with out before deciding

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you seriously think that Rodgers is going to play like he did vs the texans all season? Rodgers was possessed in that game. Don't let one great game persuade you into thinking that our wr core is great.
Nope, but I disagree with your premise. How was Rodgers "possessed" in that game? He didn't miss throws like he has been prone to this season, but if memory serves me correctly, the TD catches by JJ and Nelson were the phenomenal plays. Rodgers played well and made some very good moves to avoid sacks. I'm not diminishing his performance in any way, but toning down the statement about playing possessed. The reality is that most of those TD catches likely wouldn't have occurred had the WRs not made great catches. They all ranked quite high on the difficulty scale.

A good comparison might be the Irv Farve game against Oakland years ago. Favre is credited with having a great game with (I think) 4 TDs in the first half. What is often forgetten is that he was throwing deep balls into triple coverage but his receivers were making great catches in traffic. More of the credit for all of that should go to the WRs and not the QB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re-signing Jennings will require a lot of cash and cap space. Tagging him for one year will take up more cap space in 2013 than signing him multiple years. If there were no cap this would be a no-brainer but the cap is in place. Would you advocate signing Jennings over Matthews? Over Raji? That's the kind of choice Thompson faces. Of those three IMO Jennings is more replaceable - and I like Jennings a lot.

Well I suppose if you put it in those terms you have a very valid point. If our offense can sustain themselves and hold elite status without him then yes, he is expendable. But if it comes down to choosing between him and guys like Matthews, Raji or even Rodgers that isn't even a question.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you seriously think that Rodgers is going to play like he did vs the texans all season? Rodgers was possessed in that game. Don't let one great game persuade you into thinking that our wr core is great.

As for your first question, I think it is unrealistic to put those expectations on any QB whether he's Aaron Rodgers or not. If Rodgers was possessed he transferred that energy into the rest of the offense, that is what we need from him as a leader. The receiving core by itself may not be elite or even great yet but when our offense fires on all 8-cilinders (QB, receiving core, running game, O-Line) it has proven itself to have the potential to play elite. But yes it is unfair to assume they are going to play like that every game, what we saw was they have the potential to do it and as Packers fans we can only pray it is potential they can sustain.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ is playing well, but he is no Jennings. The packers lack a true #1 receiver without Jennings.

Jennings isn't a one either. A one is a big fast guy that has the size to go across the middle, use his body to muscle in front and make the catch, and has the speed to go deep. You're thinking of Jordy Nelson.

That's what we pay him to do isn't it? We saw exactly that for the last 8 games of 2010 and the first 14 games of 2011. We haven't seen it since then, and we saw it last week. He's done it consistently before, why shouldn't we expect that again?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hope we find a way to re-sign him. But not if it means we lose Raji, Matthews, or Rodgers.

Zach311

Cheesehead
Reaction score
must resign, hes one of the best in the game. Nelson and Jones have only had 1 great year (nelson last year and jj this year) jennings is still arods go to guy.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nelson has been a case of steady improvement and is almost always underestamated by opposing teams. JJ is coming out of his shell. If jennings goes away, the number one spot will be a toss up to who plays better in camp.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He is my favorite packer, but he shouldn't have made the roster. He is effective at 1 thing at this point, being on the hands team on special teams.

Really? From what I read before the season started, he had a good camp, and was in the best physical shape of his career. His speed is still there, his hands are still good.....????? what gives???

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been stated a multitude of times. The Packers and TT have decisions to make and logic points to saying adios to Jennings. I'm a Jennings fan, but the salary cap doesn't give the Packers the opportunity to re-sign Rodgers, Matthews, Raji, and Jennings. Jennings is the closest to expendable of the four. The one positive is that the Packers should get a relatively nice compensatory pick in the draft for him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? From what I read before the season started, he had a good camp, and was in the best physical shape of his career. His speed is still there, his hands are still good.....????? what gives???

It was just camp talk.

Watch him last season. Teams didn't respect him and were putting linebackers on him to cover him.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted let him walk. The risk of losing one of the big 3 is too high to keep a guy that is only part of the top 3 receiving threats on the team this year.
Rodgers is the best QB in the league and without him I don't think this team wins 8 games.

Raji is the reason the 3-4 works in GB but, if I had to lose one of Raji, Matthews, Rodgers he would be my pick due to the staple of young dlineman we are currently running with.

Matthews is the best player on the defensive side of the ball no questions asked and he is also not replaceable.

If the market doesn't pan out the way he wants and he can come back on the teams terms then I'm all for it there is no denying his worth as a WR and as a leader.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It was just camp talk.

Watch him last season. Teams didn't respect him and were putting linebackers on him to cover him.

lol.....when you are a slot WR you do have to go over the middle in mid depth routes, a lot, so the MLB dropping back into coverage is a widely used plan for the slot guy. That's nothing new, very common. He made several key TD catches for us last season that showed he still has skillz. He is by no means washed up, bet the bank on that one.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's missed a lot of games the last 2 years, and he's no longer young.
Driver was drafted in 1999.
I believe Jennings was drafted in 2006.
Jennings has plenty left in his tank, and his injuries & lack of production this year will keep his cost down a little bit, which is great for us.

Let him get fully healed!
Sit him a few more weeks until he's ready..... don't worry about a lack of production from him as long as Cobb, Jordy, Jones, Donald, and Boykin are still healthy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted let him walk. The risk of losing one of the big 3 is too high to keep a guy that is only part of the top 3 receiving threats on the team this year.
Rodgers is the best QB in the league and without him I don't think this team wins 8 games.

Raji is the reason the 3-4 works in GB but, if I had to lose one of Raji, Matthews, Rodgers he would be my pick due to the staple of young dlineman we are currently running with.
Agree with that.... if it means losing any of the big 3, then I too have to watch Jennings leave very sadly.
But I think we can swap J-Mike's 2013 contract for Jennings..... easy deal to make.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol.....when you are a slot WR you do have to go over the middle in mid depth routes, a lot, so the MLB dropping back into coverage is a widely used plan for the slot guy. That's nothing new, very common. He made several key TD catches for us last season that showed he still has skillz. He is by no means washed up, bet the bank on that one.
Smh...

Watch the giants game again from the playoffs and how they defended against him. They didn't take him seriously. He was an after thought. Yes, slots are sometimes covered by LBers. Not the whole game.

I'm curious what bank you are betting because driver has caught 3 balls all season. You can disagree with how teams disrespect his ability, but you can't argue the production this season... Err clear lack of.

I would be shocked to see him play next season for anything other than some desperate team trying to grab him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On top of everything else what he was best known for has become a liability for the team. Driver never dropped passes like that before.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Smh...

Watch the giants game again from the playoffs and how they defended against him. They didn't take him seriously. He was an after thought. Yes, slots are sometimes covered by LBers. Not the whole game.

I'm curious what bank you are betting because driver has caught 3 balls all season. You can disagree with how teams disrespect his ability, but you can't argue the production this season... Err clear lack of.

I would be shocked to see him play next season for anything other than some desperate team trying to grab him.

And he has had about as much playing time for the packers as I have this season.....

Members online

Latest posts