Votes: 15 48.4%
  • need to see a few more games with out before deciding

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to wait to post this, but after last night I thought let's get the pulse...

Do we HAVE to sign him at all?

Or do we still need to sign him?

Depending on how long this injury lasts, his price may drop to more doable numbers

My vote is still need to see a few more games w/o him playing....I would LOVE to say we do not need him...

However----With JJ playing lights out...Think of this line up and what opposing defenses have to do to cover.

Jennings-Jordy-JJ-Cobb

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We have decent depth as of right now. I say we let him go or see what we can get out of him. Never know, he might be worth a lot to a team lacking a #1 WR.....like the Jags, or Browns, both of which look to be on pace to getting good draft position.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say you keep him at least next year and put the tag on on him...and i say that because alot of you guy's want to see Finley gone next year. Keep in mind Finley and Jennings are both big weapons in this offense so i don't think it's wise to let BOTH go but to keep at least one of them. Finley drops the ball to much but keep in mind he's a important part of the offense because he can be effective vs zone coverage and he can be a huge threat in the red zone.

Jennings is our best route runner, and even tho Nelson can get deep he's not considered the deep threat Jennings is. Jennings has been a great team guy and he's been productive in his career so i think he deserves to get the same treatment as Driver. So the question should be who would you rather see let go? Jennings or finley?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let Finley walk.
Keep Jennings. Jennings is a Packer-people kinda guy.
Finley... obviously NOT.

Oh, and this: We won the Super Bowl with Jennings (leading the way), while Finley was watching the game in street clothes just like we all were.

Give the $ from Finley to Jennings.
Draft a big large rookie TE next year, still have Crabtree, Taylor, and Quarless.
We don't need attitudes.
We need ****ing guys who can catch the ball and keep their mouths (and their agents) shut.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Send Finley packing - I would agree with that 100%. And it would help us to do that I believe. Jennings, on the other hand, is a great team player. Some bad luck lately, but I think if (when) we get the wildcard spot we will find him to be very valuable. He will come back strong, just watch. JJ is great when he is great, but he can really drop the ball (literally and figuratively) at times. Jennings > JJ based on consistency. I like JJ, but not as the starter that we must rely on in go-time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's missed a lot of games the last 2 years, and he's no longer young. I'd love to see him retire a Packer, but they'll let him test F.A. next year, I would think.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question you have to ask is, "is someone going to overpay based on injury history or are they going to be smart and stay away from a lengthy contract?"

I'm all for a year or two contract. But no more.

Even teds biggest haters can admit he has been spot every time the packers let someone walk with the exception of once.

sinatra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jennings is a very good receiver, who is incorrectly considered an elite receiver. His reputation is larger than reality, and for that reason, he's going to fetch more on the open market than he's worth. Unless his injuries have hurt his value and it allows us to re-sign him for an appropriate contract, I see Jennings taking a pay day with some also-ran and promptly falling off the map.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question you have to ask is, "is someone going to overpay based on injury history or are they going to be smart and stay away from a lengthy contract?"

I'm all for a year or two contract. But no more.

Even teds biggest haters can admit he has been spot every time the packers let someone walk with the exception of once.

That "once" really hurt though. I don't think any of us realized how much Jenkins meant to this team until he was gone though, so I can't blame TT for that one really. Hindsight is 20/20.

As for Jennings. I would like to keep him. I've always really liked Jennings. A lot. I've wanted Finley to be gone for a few years now. I don't remember being super thrilled that we extended him. He's just a waste of money. And the comment about "It takes two" between him and Rodgers just put the nail in the coffin on him as far as I'm concerned. Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Benson, Jennings don't have these so called "chemistry" problems with the QB, so I doubt it's the QB's fault. Rodgers was always a huge Finley supporter. He STILL after all the inconsistency and poor play throws him the ball regularly. He's trying, you're not producing. Is what it is.

Boot Finley, do your best to keep Greg around. IMO

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That "once" really hurt though. I don't think any of us realized how much Jenkins meant to this team until he was gone though, so I can't blame TT for that one really. Hindsight is 20/20.

As for Jennings. I would like to keep him. I've always really liked Jennings. A lot. I've wanted Finley to be gone for a few years now. I don't remember being super thrilled that we extended him. He's just a waste of money. And the comment about "It takes two" between him and Rodgers just put the nail in the coffin on him as far as I'm concerned. Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Benson, Jennings don't have these so called "chemistry" problems with the QB, so I doubt it's the QB's fault. Rodgers was always a huge Finley supporter. He STILL after all the inconsistency and poor play throws him the ball regularly. He's trying, you're not producing. Is what it is.

Boot Finley, do your best to keep Greg around. IMO

While it did hurt to lose Jenkins, it might have hurt alot more to keep some of the guys fans wanted us to keep that went elsewhere and sucked while getting insane contracts.

Jennings made the decision really easy for us. No long term contract with the injuries and age. Short term would be best for both sides if the mega deal doesn't come.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We've been over this before: IMO it's not Jennings vs. Finley, it's the cap impact of Jennings' signing in relation to extending Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji; all of whom are more important IMO. I don't think Finley is a Packer next season unless he has a "maturity conversion" on the order of Apostle Paul (sorry for using this analogy again but IMO it's apt - he needs that big a shake-up) and even then I'm not sure they can afford him cap-wise. And tagging Jennings would really strain the cap in 2013.

Jennings' disadvantage in re-signing with the Packers is they're deep at his position and if there's one position in which Thompson excels in the draft above all others, it's WR. And even a first rounder would be cheap in comparison.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would make great trade bait for Miami. They have the cap to sign him and a coach who can use him. 2nd or 3rd rounder would make me quite happy. Realistically, if he commands 6M +, it is not looking too positive on re-signing him. Too much talent ahead in line.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I doubt Jennings and his agent would agree to some short term contract. Short term is not always worth the pay day that WR's are looking for. He is by no mean at the end of his career, but he is also no spring chicken either.
With all the other big names we NEED to resign coming up, it may be the smart move to let him explore free agency while we still have decent depth at WR. You can't have a team with that many big names on it and expect to still retain salary cap for future building.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would make great trade bait for Miami. They have the cap to sign him and a coach who can use him. 2nd or 3rd rounder would make me quite happy. Realistically, if he commands 6M +, it is not looking too positive on re-signing him. Too much talent ahead in line.

Why bother? Well get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him leaving as a FA anyways. On top of that he can use the playoffs to stand out. It works well for both sides to let his contract play out

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Jennings and his agent would agree to some short term contract. Short term is not always worth the pay day that WR's are looking for. He is by no mean at the end of his career, but he is also no spring chicken either.
With all the other big names we NEED to resign coming up, it may be the smart move to let him explore free agency while we still have decent depth at WR. You can't have a team with that many big names on it and expect to still retain salary cap for future building.

James jones and Finley did it. The market wasn't there when they tested it. You think Jennings would take peanuts in order to get a long term deal? No way.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why bother? Well get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him leaving as a FA anyways. On top of that he can use the playoffs to stand out. It works well for both sides to let his contract play out

I agree with trading him if a deal presents itself. If its a 2nd rounder it's a no brainer make the move. A thrid rounder would be higher than the comp pick we get and that pick could be traded a no brainer. A fourth in a straight up trade would be skeptical.The chances of a trade presenting itself is unlikely though, gotta cheer for the Dolphins, Redskins, Jets, etc to stay in contention.

We have the WR depth and with the way JJ is playing getting Jennings back really wouldn't make that big of a difference. I'm afraid Jennings coming in would cause a chemistry/ connection issue between Rodgers and the receiving corp that seems to be getting better.

Reaction score
Jennings is one of the few actual leaders on this team. Even though he didn't play, he was still on the sidelines giving Jones, Nelson and Cobb pointers before and during the game. With him gone, there would be no leader of the group.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
James jones and Finley did it. The market wasn't there when they tested it. You think Jennings would take peanuts in order to get a long term deal? No way.

James jones and finley are not the name that jennings is. And were did I say he would take peanuts? I said he wouldn't take a short term deal. They all want long term, big money, big bonus deals. I say no way because we wouldn't be able to afford other weapons we need to keep. I love the guy and his play making ability, but with his nagging injuries and he is going to want a HUGE contract, I say we let him walk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James jones and finley are not the name that jennings is. And were did I say he would take peanuts? I said he wouldn't take a short term deal. They all want long term, big money, big bonus deals. I say no way because we wouldn't be able to afford other weapons we need to keep. I love the guy and his play making ability, but with his nagging injuries and he is going to want a HUGE contract, I say we let him walk.

Didn't say you said that, read it again.

The point I'm making was if he only will take a big long term deal and there isn't one presented he will have to decide on another avenue. Can't take imaginary offers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is one of the few actual leaders on this team. Even though he didn't play, he was still on the sidelines giving Jones, Nelson and Cobb pointers before and during the game. With him gone, there would be no leader of the group.

Nelson will do fine in that role. Rodgers is a leader in the huddle. No worries on that part.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nelson will do fine in that role. Rodgers is a leader in the huddle. No worries on that part.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But when Driver retires, we will have Nelson. Cobb. Jones. and who? Boykin? We will have lost the core of our group.

No production out of driver. No production out of Jennings. I'm not too worried about it. Ted will draft a WR, and someone will get more playing time who is already on the roster.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at the end of the day it doesnt matter...TT will make the right call.
I see no real "cons" in the situation, there is plenty of reciver talent.
if he stays GREAT, if he goes...we will overcome it.
besides, there are many defensive players that will need a paycheck...

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jennings I really do. But unless he agrees to a bit of a home town discount (Which I don't think he'll do) and signs a shorter deal (Which I don't think he'll do) I would rather let him walk and take a receiver in the draft. Preferrably a WR who stands 6'2"+... Finley was suppose to be our "big, strong, fast receiver" but that never panned out, nor will it. I'd like to give Rodgers a target like that. Jones isn't small, and Jordy isn't small. But Jordy doesn't play like he's 6'3" or whatever he is. He plays shorter than that. So does Jones. Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jefferey... big receivers are coming out of the draft now and our division, the NFL is moving that way.

Members online

Latest posts