how to beat aaron rodgers and the packers?

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, guys i thought i would get a discussion going on how exactly a team can beat rodgers and the packers.

Is it a top notch pass rush? Is it disguised coverages and blitzes? Or how about a similar plan to what the giants did to the patriots in SB 2007?

In short, what type of defense does aaron rodgers struggle against?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So, guys i thought i would get a discussion going on how exactly a team can beat rodgers and the packers.
With a stick, a very big one.

Is it a top notch pass rush? Is it disguised coverages and blitzes? Or how about a similar plan to what the giants did to the patriots in SB 2007?

Packers really struggle against what the Bears do (gotta giv'em credit.) Quick active linebackers, strong 4 man rush, over the top coverage. A lot of underneath throws and solid tackling on runs to make the drives long. Sooner or later someone on the offense makes a mistake.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would struggle playing the ravens this year and could lose to them. I don't think we are going 16-0 (hope I am wrong) and since we don't play the ravens this year I would say its to kansas city at arrowhead...shock of all shocks.

To answer your question though I think a strong defensive team and a team that is built on running the ball (ala the ravens) really is one of the only remedies to stop us. Being able to get pressure with 4 rushers is key as you can drop two people on quick slant routes and make a-rod hold onto the ball longer.

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would struggle playing the ravens this year and could lose to them. I don't think we are going 16-0 (hope I am wrong) and since we don't play the ravens this year I would say its to kansas city at arrowhead...shock of all shocks.

To answer your question though I think a strong defensive team and a team that is built on running the ball (ala the ravens) really is one of the only remedies to stop us. Being able to get pressure with 4 rushers is key as you can drop two people on quick slant routes and make a-rod hold onto the ball longer.

i was thinking the ravens, but rodgers mobility IMO can get the packers past them. But i want to see ravens/packs so bad..

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough for me to answer this. I never played football growing up (I was a baseball guy) so a lot of the subtleties of the game when it comes to the Xs and Os are kinda lost on me. I tend to look at the big picture.
That said...

Statistically, teams should be throwing the ball against the Packers. If they can run the ball a bit to keep the D honest, so much the better.
I would guess, and that's what it would be, that a team would have to look at their D and first decide if they have the pass rush to pressure Aaron. If they do, have the secondary play man to man. If not, have the secondary play zone, blitz a lot and hope for the best.

Packers passing offense (YPG): 3rd w/323.4 avg.
rushing offense rated: 24th w/99.9 avg.
defense vs run: 10th
defense vs pass: 31st
Interceptions: 2nd with 13
Sacks: tied for 16th with 17

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The guy that Tonya Harding hired to whack Nancy Kerrigan. You get him to nail Rodgers before the game.

No really though I don't know. Any team can lose. I am not sure I have seen any team truly have "Aaron's number" yet though. Perhaps the Bears have given him the most trouble but the Packers did well against them this year I thought.

The Packers offense seemed to struggle against the Jets D last year. I don't remember the game, but was is their secondary? The Jets D was pretty darn good last year. They were good against the pass AND run. This year they are poor against the run for some reason.

And the Packers can stop the run pretty well overall so burning the clock with the run game to keep Aaron off the field is not the best formula either.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good way to beat any opponent is to study them, know their weaknesses and exploit them. Right now the Pack is weak at offensive tackle. If I were a D coordinator, I'd start there and get pressure on the QB knowing there is a weakness.

The Packers offense is kind of hard to stop, even with a weakness at OT. With Aaron's quick release and unbelievable pocket presence, he is able to light up any weapon of his choice and of them, there are many. You can run an infinite number of plays with that kind of talent. There are 3 or 4 guys who at any time need double coverage and every defensive player can't be two places at once. I haven't seen anyone run man to man on us with any success. Zone coverage isn't much better. You cut of one of our weapons and it seems 12 of them spring up in its place. It must be incredibly hard to game plan against.

So how do you really beat them? ..... You don't. You have to pray they beat themselves. The Packers themselves have said as much. The only thing that can really destroy this team is themselves.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I really think you need to have the DBs.....

Just my feeling on this right now. A team with a good secondary in the playoffs could give you trouble more then a team with just a good pass rush and poor to average secondary. I guess thats why many Packers fans are a bit fearful of the big name Eagles secondary if they play later.

The Jets might have given your offense a tougher game in the SB then the Steelers last year.

OP
OP
W

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually want to see the packers vs the eagles in the playoffs.. and than against the ravens in the sb

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Eagles are now starting to become the Tebow of NFL teams. I know it pains you guys to hear this but Go Bears.

The media seems to want the Eagles to succeed so badly. Of course also the media wants to find that one NFC team as well that has the ability they believe to either beat the Packers in the playoffs or knock them around.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As has been said, solid pressure with the front four, deep halves, and consistent tackling are the way to get it done. Coverage doesn't worry me, as Aaron is so deadly accurate with his throws. There really is no defense for a perfectly thrown ball, and I've never seen anybody deliver them with the consistency that Rodgers has. Pressure off the edges doesn't worry me, because Aaron is so adept at diagnosing it early and throwing through it before help flows in to that spot.

Like I said, nothing over the top, and sure tackling. This forces the ball carriers to beat you, instead of letting Rodgers beat you. One of Aaron's biggest assets is his patience. If he has to methodically march down the field with dump-offs, that doesn't bother him. But I do think it frustrates our receivers, who don't have the other-worldly patience that Rodgers seems to possess. Make us **** and dunk the whole game and frustrate our receivers into making mistakes. That's the weak spot in the Packer offense's armor; impatience. Then of course, the opposing offenses need to score touchdowns, too, and that hasn't really been happening either.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't know about the defense. Aaron handles pressure pretty well and with all the talent he has at receiver he can dump the ball to just about anyone. I think the key lies in the opposing offense. If they want to beat the Packers the first thing they have to do is avoid a shootout at all costs. Don't think throwing the ball on the Packers a lot is going to win the game. Rodgers and those receivers will win a shootout every time. For example look at the Saints game and the Panthers game. Teams who think they can out throw the Packers are sadly deluded.

In order to beat the Packers the opposing offense has to control major chunks of the clock and keep Rodgers off of the field. The Packers' run d is pretty stingy but can be softened up. Mixing a lot of running with short **** and dunks to move the ball slowly down the field is the key to beating the Packers. One 3 and out and you let the Packers back in the game. Rodgers can throw a long touchdown just... like.... that.

The best way to beat the Packers is to get them to beat themselves. Find a way to get them out of their rhythm and get them making dumb mistakes, offsides, false starts, etc. If an opponent can do that, they have a good chance of winning.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
. A team with a good secondary in the playoffs could give you trouble more then a team with just a good pass rush and poor to average secondary.

The Jets might have given your offense a tougher game in the SB then the Steelers last year.

Steelers couldnt stop them in the SB...And their secondary was pretty good..

The JETS game was just one of those games that teams have...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This year our offense has seemed to be able to handle everything defenses come at them with..

But the last few years it was our poor offensive line play that was our downfall..So get a team with great pass rush and that maybe the true way to stop Rodgers

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you LTF, but I don't know if that's quite true. Rodgers handles outside pressure so well. Like i said before, he senses it and steps up or throws through it. Tackle might be a weak spot on our line with Newhouse in there; ie. giving up a couple sacks to Jared Allen (who has been playing at a DPOY level so far, IMO). But take that away and outside pressure rarely gets to Rodgers. What can slow him down is inside pressure. Make him back up and then move laterally. Push the o-linemen into his space. That has affected his accuracy and timing. But it just doesn't happen much or with any consistency. We may have the top GCG group in the league, top 5 without question. Hope you're enjoying your money and your losses in Glendale Darryn!

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is it a top notch pass rush?

Rodgers is very mobile. He has amazing pocket presence and can sense pressure from a mile away. His release is so fast that by the moment you suspect he's about to get sacked, the ball is already either on the sideline or in the receiver's hands. Look at what he did against the Steelers last year and the year before. Top-notch pass rush, and the Packers offense still burned them for 37 and 31 points respectively.

Is it disguised coverages and blitzes?

Hell, no. Rodgers senses the blitz in almost an instant. He has an amazing passer rating against blitz coverages (≈130 quarterback rating against the blitz, last time I remember). Considering how hard it is to take down Rodgers anyway, if I was a DC, I'd be more concerned about covering the wide receiver corps the Packers have than blitzing Rodgers.

Or how about a similar plan to what the giants did to the patriots in SB 2007?

I believe this relates to the first point. The Giants beat the Patriots because they had a great pass rush (they had 5 sacks on Brady) and Brady is a pocket passer, not a scrambler. He had a great offensive line in 2007, which enables him to make great passes with ease. Bringing Brady pressure obviously caused the Pats offense to struggle and only score 14 points on the Giants, despite scoring between 30 and 56 points against even the most stout of defenses. Last year, the Giants tried to do the same with Rodgers, and allowed 45 points. It was because A: they didn't have a strong of a pass rush as they did in 2007, and B: As mentioned before, Rodgers is hard to bring down due to his mobility.

The Bears Tampa 2 defense. The Packers offense never scored more than 30 against the Bears since 2008, and the Bears allowed only 17, 21, 21, 17, 10, 21, and 27 points in each of their 7 games against the Packers since the 37-3 blowout of the Bears at Lambeau. Also, Urlacher and Peppers are always a thorn in Rodgers' side. I can't recall the last time Rodgers hasn't thrown an interception against the Bears or the last time that Urlacher (or recently, Peppers) haven't made a big play on the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you LTF, but I don't know if that's quite true. Rodgers handles outside pressure so well. Like i said before, he senses it and steps up or throws through it. Tackle might be a weak spot on our line with Newhouse in there; ie. giving up a couple sacks to Jared Allen (who has been playing at a DPOY level so far, IMO). But take that away and outside pressure rarely gets to Rodgers. What can slow him down is inside pressure. Make him back up and then move laterally. Push the o-linemen into his space. That has affected his accuracy and timing. But it just doesn't happen much or with any consistency. We may have the top GCG group in the league, top 5 without question. Hope you're enjoying your money and your losses in Glendale Darryn!

Think of how he held onto the ball to long topics...1st half of last year --maybe, 09, 08 Rodgers didnt handle pressure as well as he does now..That is why I said poor oline play..

So with Rodgers ability to handle pressure better, get rid of ball faster, there might not be a real solid way of beating him...

It will take a bunch of combination of things NOW to beat Rodgers...Great pass rush, DB that can cover like a glove, or get good jams on the wr..And lb that can cover too..

All aspects of a defense have to work real well

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bears Tampa 2 defense. The Packers offense never scored more than 30 against the Bears since 2008, and the Bears allowed only 17, 21, 21, 17, 10, 21, and 27 points in each of their 7 games against the Packers since the 37-3 blowout of the Bears at Lambeau. Also, Urlacher and Peppers are always a thorn in Rodgers' side. I can't recall the last time Rodgers hasn't thrown an interception against the Bears or the last time that Urlacher (or recently, Peppers) haven't made a big play on the Packers.

I said same thing b4 the Bears game this year..People on this forum expected a blow out...I gave same reasons you just did to say no way...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Tampa 2.....

The Colts 2006 SB defense or some of the past defenses in Tampa Bay way back under Tony Dungy would have been interesting vs. this Packers offense. We had a real DT that postseason with McFarland (traded from the Bucs). Freeney/Mathis on the outside. Good secondary with a healthy Bob Sanders and Bethea and Nick Harper. Decent LBs.
That D stuffed the run for 4 games.

Now the Bears have been a better version of the Tampa 2 D over the years but that postseason D for the Colts was one of the tightest ones I have seen.

This D only works effectively though if you have a real DT who can collapse the pocket with pressure coming mainly from the front 4 (we had one that postseason) and it helps when you have a safety playing out of his mind. (Bob Sanders)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Think of how he held onto the ball to long topics...1st half of last year --maybe, 09, 08 Rodgers didnt handle pressure as well as he does now..That is why I said poor oline play..

So with Rodgers ability to handle pressure better, get rid of ball faster, there might not be a real solid way of beating him...

It will take a bunch of combination of things NOW to beat Rodgers...Great pass rush, DB that can cover like a glove, or get good jams on the wr..And lb that can cover too..

All aspects of a defense have to work real well

Pass rush+ an impact DB

You know thats exactly what Pittsburgh had/has. And it didn't work.

Or, you can hope for an off day with the Packers. Hope that it just doesn't click for them on a day. I don't see that lately with their offense though. They seem to be able to turn it on or off when needed with all the talent and brains behind it.

The Lions D might scare me more if they had a better secondary but they don't. They also can be run on.

The best D's to beat GB might be in their own division this year.

Once Rodgers showed he was successfully able to slice and dice a **** Lebeau defense the rest to the league had to say uh oh......

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If you can handle the Steelers D I think you can handle the Ravens D.

If the Jets D was at the top of it's game this year I think that is still the toughest one you could see in the SB. That D has managed to give fits to Brady and Manning. But, as people have said Rodgers has the mobility those guys don't. Rex is a sneaky mo fo though against elite QBs at times.

Really I guess the solution is to pray. Pray a lot on game day if you are playing GB. And hope that Rodgers sees a chick in the third row flash herself and he throws a pick.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Overall I think we might be talking postseason here mostly. I don't think any Packers fans will jump off a bridge if they lose a regular season game or two. It happens. It happened last year against some teams they were better then as well.

In the playoffs though you will need a great gameplan, a talented football team and also possibly the hope that your team just wants it more then Green Bay as corny as that sounds.

Easier said then done.

In the NFC I still think the Niners with Harbaugh may come up with the best team game plan and motivational speeches. In the AFC I am not sure there is a team with all the pieces who could do it indoors with two weeks off leading to the game.

Members online

Latest posts