How much credit does capers deserve for Saturdays win over the Vikings?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people are pretty ******* him. It was his defense who made Webb look like a hs QB. But some will say it was Webb who did that to himself.

Thoughts?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Some people are pretty ******* him. It was his defense who made Webb look like a hs QB. But some will say it was Webb who did that to himself.

Thoughts?

Joe Webb is a high school QB.

We did keep 28 bottled up for the most part but I think that has more to do with Joe Webb adding nothing to the offense than anything related to our scheme or gameplan.

Reaction score
Those two intentional grounding plays Webb made were among the worst plays I've seen any QB not named Sanchez make this year. I'm not going to say he sucks or anything, but he clearly wasn't ready for prime time.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is multifactorial whether he is a "hero" or "zero!" Does he have the players to work with (2011--No!)? Do the players execute the game plan (2010--Yes!)? Does he formulate a solid plan?

If I were a total pitchfork and torch fan, I would call for him to be fired every time the team couldn't tackle or get off of the field on 3rd down! In the good times, I would sound like that loud mouthed b1#ch WR from da Bears and give "all" of the credit for a great defense to Capers.

We all know that the truth lies somewhere closer to the middle. ;)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Solid game plan. Obviously it was tweaked on the fly with the switch to Webb. But I doubt the game plan was much different than last time.

After the week 17 loss, multiple players admitted that they were over zealous about not letting Peterson get ahead of them; he was in their heads. And it resulted in blowing past him into the backfield, breaking contain, and then over-pursuing him downfield.

The players screwed the pooch last week, not Capers. He was able to do what it took to fix the issue, in one week after Peterson had completely torched us twice this season. That's a hell of an accomplishment. He deserves a lot of credit.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I just complained about this in another thread. Players, not plays win football games

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people that credited him for the defense not being able to tackle in the loss to the Vikings need to give him credit for the win Saturday. I thought he had a good game plan for AP and Joe Webb being named the starter 90 minutes before the game. I also think the players executed the game plan VERY well. Joe Webb did help us out by making his own mistakes. Overall I thought the defense played great as a team, that includes the coaches.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Also, after playing the same team 3 times within a 5 week period, any coordinator in this league should be able to formulate an effective gameplan, or they probably shouldn't be coordinating.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of Capers getting the credit for the Vikings win or not, I do not think we will lose vs. the 49ers. This will be a perfect combination of Capers making a good plan, the players executing it greatly, and Rodgers being PISSED at the 49ers for multiple reasons.

I won't talk smack...call me superstitious but I will be confident in our ability to win.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I just complained about this in another thread. Players, not plays win football games
I disagree somewhat, a great coach in the nfl can turn a team around.
I believe that it is a happy medium between both viewpoints. A team needs both to be great; one without the other is regularilly mediocre at best.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Capers, but sometimes I think his defenses are too complicated. Same with McCarthy. Better to have a few simple schemes that are performed perfectly than many schemes performed at an average level, imo. That comes from the KISS school of learning that got me through my career.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only if the players are in the right spot when it matters. Coaches definitely have a large role in making sure that happens but, what it all boils down to is the execution of the scheme.

Vince Lombardi would have had a rough time winning with a few of the teams in the NFL this season you could have the perfect scheme the perfect play call to attack or defend your opponents play and still fail if one guy misses a tackle or one guy is a step late into the hole.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok hotshot, name ONE time in the history of the NFL in which that was the case! ;)
John Harbaugh taking over the Ravens in 2008. In 07 the Ravens went 5-11 after making the AFC Champtionship the previous year. Then they hired John Harbaugh, he drafted Flacco and they posted a 11-5 record in 08, and once again earned an AFC Championship appearance.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Harbaugh taking over the Ravens in 2008. In 07 the Ravens went 5-11 after making the AFC Champtionship the previous year. Then they hired John Harbaugh, he drafted Flacco and they posted a 11-5 record in 08, and once again earned an AFC Championship appearance.

He was being facetious I believe

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm not sure. The Vikngs put up 97 yards in the first half, mostly on the first drive and 227 in the second half. They actually ended up with only 2 yards less of offensive yards than the Packers. Althogh that does not tell the whole story. Joe Webb was just not ready. Give Capers some credit because they did make changes to slow down Peterson, although the Vikings still had 167 yards rushing on them. Just not all Petersons. Most of the credit should go to Musgrave for the crappy play calling after the first series. A lot of Viking fans are ticked that they went away from what was working.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have run the numbers 8 times now, with 4 different algorithms based on multi-lateral performance criteria given various nomalized knowledge, athletic, and environmental factors. I got, in order from lowest to highest: 26.3, 31.8, 32.0, 32.0,32.1, 32.8, 33.6, 37.0. I can say at the 92% confidence level, that Capers was 32% responsible for the win (margin of error +/- 1.3%)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes had a total of 152 yds and 3 points up to the middle of the 4th quarter, when the game was over. As they say: The game was closer than it appeared.

Members online

Latest posts