How I see it.

Reaction score
First thing is I want to say is it is great having a place to discuss the pack. Living in Cincinnati we are limited. I don't know many other than my brother and I.

Now on to the topic at hand. With lots of debate on who we should take where I have been doing a ton of thinking and research. So getting started with our first round pick we MUST fix the one of the two biggest glaring holes. Those are Offensive Tackle and Secondary Player (mainly CB). I have seen some people on here and in mock drafts stating we should take Jahvid Best. I completely disagree with this. I believe that there are plenty of decent RBs in the draft with plenty of upside that can be taken later. Toby Gerhart, Joe Mcknight or Andre Dixon. We should not waste a draft pick on a RB no matter how good he is. Also I have seen people wanting Taylor Mays. Again I utterly disagree with this. He gets burned in coverage way too much and is sloppy on tackling. At this point I believe he is completely overrated. So what do you think we should do? I'm glad you asked. This draft is deep with first round quality OL. You have Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga and Bruce Campbell. If something were to happen and none of those guys are available I believe we need to take an available 1st round quality CB i.e. Kyle Wilson. He is a play making ball hawk. We need to build up that secondary. Thats my 2 cents.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, and some Packer bloggers (read Carriveau, Brian), consider Bulaga to be ordinary. Trent Williams have scouts saying he's not a LT in the NFL.

The OL I'm really focusing on are Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis. Charles Brown has very good pass pro, but doen't have the mean streak you want in the running game. We're a passing team, though... Okung is a dream that will not happen.

But I'm watching the Senior Bowl, and I have to say, CM3 in one side and Brandon Graham in the other sounds awfully good and dominant to me. The kid is a beast.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
After I saw your username I assumed this topic would be about Mardy Gilyard (who I would love to have).

Oops. :lol:

OP
OP
Cincinnati Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, and some Packer bloggers (read Carriveau, Brian), consider Bulaga to be ordinary. Trent Williams have scouts saying he's not a LT in the NFL.

The OL I'm really focusing on are Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis. Charles Brown has very good pass pro, but doen't have the mean streak you want in the running game. We're a passing team, though... Okung is a dream that will not happen.

But I'm watching the Senior Bowl, and I have to say, CM3 in one side and Brandon Graham in the other sounds awfully good and dominant to me. The kid is a beast.

I was gonna bring up Iupati but figure everyone would say he was a guard. I agree on really wanting Okung too. Davis would be good too. As far as Graham goes I would love to have him.

And Jess I'd love to have Gilyard too lol

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that our secondary is that bad and that selecting a CB is the only way we can improve our defense. I think our secondary was exposed this season at times because we lacked enough pass rushers to get pressure on the QB.

With our first pick you draft the best player available worthy of a big contract. If one is not available, then you trade down and pick with need. If a Berry Sanders is available, you do not pass on him and pick a Justin Harrell based on need because you have Grant.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that our secondary is that bad and that selecting a CB is the only way we can improve our defense. I think our secondary was exposed this season at times because we lacked enough pass rushers to get pressure on the QB.

With our first pick you draft the best player available worthy of a big contract. If one is not available, then you trade down and pick with need. If a Berry Sanders is available, you do not pass on him and pick a Justin Harrell based on need because you have Grant.

Trading down would be a great option for the pack as I see us not getting any of the good OT's and many of the real hidden gems are waiting in the 2nd round.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Down?? UP you mean!

I'm just kinda traumatized when we move down... Reminds me of Brohm.

LOL yeah its true because you never know what you're gonna get. However that's the problem with the draft, every single player has an equal chance of being a boom or a bust. They could do extremely well in college but end up sitting on the bench in the NFL. Just ask justin harrell.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL yeah its true because you never know what you're gonna get. However that's the problem with the draft, every single player has an equal chance of being a boom or a bust. They could do extremely well in college but end up sitting on the bench in the NFL. Just ask justin harrell.
See? I don't believe that. Every single Steelers 1st round pick since 2002 is an integral part of their team.

That's where character evaluation and system projection is so key.

Yeah, Harrell is injuried all the time, but I can speak from a personal standpoint that if you take all the rehab lightly, if you can't fully commit to it, you're not going to heal up completely.

If he absolutely loved the game and couldn't stay away from it, he'd be healed by now. That's my two cents, at least.

I'm not completely saying it's his fault, because it's not his fault that he's injury prone, that he has to overcome more than the regular player. But I don't believe he's just unlucky.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See? I don't believe that. Every single Steelers 1st round pick since 2002 is an integral part of their team.

That's where character evaluation and system projection is so key.

Yeah, Harrell is injuried all the time, but I can speak from a personal standpoint that if you take all the rehab lightly, if you can't fully commit to it, you're not going to heal up completely.

If he absolutely loved the game and couldn't stay away from it, he'd be healed by now. That's my two cents, at least.

I'm not completely saying it's his fault, because it's not his fault that he's injury prone, that he has to overcome more than the regular player. But I don't believe he's just unlucky.

I agree with your example of the steelers but again that is just one team. How many of the other 31 teams have had consistent success like them?

OP
OP
Cincinnati Cheesehead
Reaction score

So true but I don't believe Best is a Sanders.If Spiller or Bryant were to fall to us I could see taking them but I Dont think we should draft Best. I do believe adding Brandon Graham to the team could take our pass rush to the next level. But We still need better CBs with Harris coming of a injure and getting older. Its hard to tell where he is gonna be physically next season. Also Woodson is still playing at A high level but how long can he sustain it?

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So true but I don't believe Best is a Sanders.If Spiller or Bryant were to fall to us I could see taking them but I Dont think we should draft Best. I do believe adding Brandon Graham to the team could take our pass rush to the next level. But We still need better CBs with Harris coming of a injure and getting older. Its hard to tell where he is gonna be physically next season. Also Woodson is still playing at A high level but how long can he sustain it?

I would argue that you may get just as good of value with O'Brien Schofield. I know he tore his ACL, but he is going to be a GREAT late draft pick up. OB is a beast and showed what he can do in the Shrine Bowl.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OB is a beast no doubt and I still hope we draft him even though he got injured.

ACL injuries are scary. The timing of his injury is just terrible. It takes about 7-8 months and sometimes even a full year to recover from those. IMHO I don't expect OB to get drafted at all. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. He'll be an undrafted free agent and TT loves picking up those types of players. So, I definitely see us having a shot to get him on our team, drafted or not.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ACL injuries are scary. The timing of his injury is just terrible. It takes about 7-8 months and sometimes even a full year to recover from those. IMHO I don't expect OB to get drafted at all. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. He'll be an undrafted free agent and TT loves picking up those types of players. So, I definitely see us having a shot to get him on our team, drafted or not.

I respect your opinion, but he will get drafted. There will be a team that will take a late pick on him. I could see him in a Steelers uni... I know they are stacked, but that is the linebacker capital of the world.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. So what do you think we should do? I'm glad you asked. This draft is deep with first round quality OL. You have Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga and Bruce Campbell. If something were to happen and none of those guys are available I believe we need to take an available 1st round quality CB i.e. Kyle Wilson. He is a play making ball hawk. We need to build up that secondary. Thats my 2 cents.
I don't think any of those guys will be there. Without refering elsewhere....I think Bruce Campbell has a history of injuries. I'm being lazy right now......sorry lol. Kyle Wilson is a little on the short side even though he is a very good football player. We do need a corner and a Safety.......but.... we need a guy like Hughes or Kindle to play OLB opposite Matthews. We have to be able to get to the QB more this year. Show me a secondary that needs help........and I'll show you a defensive line that doesn't get to the QB fast enough or often enough.

Members online

Latest posts