how did you become a packers fan?

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
I grew up in Green Bay, and I no longer live in WI. As a very young kid (****ey/Wright era) I wasn't very interested in football, mostly because I didn't understand it. During Majkowski's reign I watched more games, including our upset of the 49ers and the "instant replay" win over the Bears. I went to a few games as well, including a Bears game in 85 or 86.

At that point I was an average fan, not a fanatic. I didn't turn into a big fan until Brett came in to win that first game against Cincinnati. By then I was a little older and had a better understanding of the game, plus Brett was so exciting. There was a palpable feeling right away that he was going to do great things, that we were going to steadily get better. The whole feeling in Green Bay just changed dramatically. Brett has been playing so long that a lot of younger fans probably have no idea what this transition was like. It swept me up and I've been watching religiously every Sunday since Brett beat the Bengals. (No matter where I am.)

I only ever saw one game at County Stadium, with Favre losing to Marino. That was probably in '93.
Wow, two "palpables" in one thread!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan sent me a text message and said to check out his new site.

It was a Packers site, duh.

I was hooked ever since.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 22 now, when I was around 9 or 10 I started watching football. Back then, and still today, there was never a more fun player to watch than Brett Favre. It'd be interesting to see how many Packer football fans there simply because of Brett. I wasn't the fan I was today though until about the 2004 season, and watching Moss kill the Packers in the playoffs was quite a gut-wrencher. Seeing this resurgence though...makes everything worth while. GB PACKERS 4 LIFE

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Canada we don't have an NFL team. Most people are Bill fans or detroit fans. It was in the 80's and I watch my first football game and it was the Packers. I have been a fan since.

I am only a couple hours from Detroit so I get to see one Live game a year. It is tough going to games their because my Licence plates say Packrfan. I do get heckled alot. I finally this past summer made it to lambeau field for a preseason game against Seattle. I think that that may be a yearly Vacation moving forward.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born into it. I grew up in a town two hours north of Green Bay, on the Michigan side of the border. My grandpa was a huge fan who attended every home game from the early 60's, I think, to the mid 80s.

When I was a young kid, I kind of resisted being a Packer fan, because it was the 70s and they were horrible and boring, and teams like the Dolphins and Cowboys were more exciting. But by the late 70s, when I entered my teens, I became a real fan. The first Packer QB I really remember watching was David Whitehurst, in 1978. I think that's the year Terdell Middleton rushed for over 1,500 yards. They went 8-7-1 with a 10-10 tie with the Vikings that kept them from making the playoffs.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year in Feb. in Saukville, WI, there would be an event called "Sports Day" and several athletes and coaches would show up. Packers, Badgers, Bucks, Marquette Warriors, later Brewers, and each would give a speech and sign autographs. Over the course of several years I accumulated a few HOF players from the Packers in the book they gave us when we arrived. Damn, I wish I knew what happened to those.
Cheesey, were you in the area back in the late 60s and early 70s? It was at the Catholic church in Saukville, cost about a buck.
No! Unfortunatly...............we didn't move into the area until 1991.
I wish they still had that now! I never heard of it till you told the story here.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a Packer fan since the Monday night game v the Redskins in the 1983 season.

Channel 4 had started showing the NFL the season beore and I didn't pick a team to support. The following season i decided to start supporting a team. When 4 showed the Packers - redskins game it was the pack for me as the skins had won the previous superbowl so I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon by picking a winning team so it was the pack for me.

Ever since then I eat sleep and breathe green bay.

I love this team

For me its'

Packers
Kids
Wife

In that order

When we won Superbowl 31 I wept buckets. It was one of the best nights of my life. I truly believe I picked the best franchise in sport to support with the best history of any sporting team on the planet

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My story is just about the same as fleps my dad and his brother started watching NFl in the 80s when it was on channel 4 but then as the stoped showing it they kept following it listening to it on The armed forces radio station i was born in the late 80s and did not start following it till the season we beat seattle in overtime in the play offs id been watching the season but not really understanding it then id say that game there when we beat seattle i just started to understand it (a little like cheesey) Now like flep and Green_Bay_Packers I try to watch as much as possable (sky sports, channel 5, Sopcast)

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Born and raised a Chicagoan by two Cheeseheads. Well, actually, my mom was born in Chicago but at a very young age moved to Milwaukee. My Dad, however, has 100% Wisconsinite blood, born and raised in Milwaukee. His family was obviously Packer fans, my Dad thriving through the 60s era. His God Father had a bunch of season tickets, and my dad and grandfather would go to games constantly. When his God father died, he left my dad two tickets in his name (Milwaukee tickets). So, when I came along, I was engulfed into Packer tradition. My family didn't really force it on me like they did my brother, probably because I was a girl, such sexist people in my family :p :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

As a kid, my dad would take me to preseason games, I was young, I'd just watch, eat my popcorn and look for the only players I knew, Brett Favre and Reggie White (six years old mind you). It wasn't really until the 2003 season I started becoming a true fan, I started following games and caring, and then after the Monday Night Oakland game, I was hooked. That was the start, what pushed me over the edge? Message boards :p :p :p :p Now I'm diehard and that won't ever change :D

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I have been a Packer fan from the day I would walk I am told... I started throwing a football at age three according to my mother and spirals at four.

Albeit I was a Packer and Cowboy fan for many years, the green and gold always came first. I have autographs of the 81 and 82 teams in the media guide when I attend my first games.. one in Milwaukee and the other in Lambeau at the ripe age of 9 years old. I baled hay and other field work for a couple of neighbors so I could attend the Lambeau game. My aunt and Uncle took me to the game, because during those years we lived on a farm and my parents didn't have the extra money to spend on Packer tickets.

I bought my parents their first Packer tickets in college in 91.. my Dad wasn't a huge football fan until he went to a game.

Anyway.. that is my story.

D

Dan115

I grew up in Minn just across the Miss river from Wis. In 1961 I was a big Minn Gopher fan. ( They were good in those days) So this new pro team came to Minn and I thought I would listen to their game on the radio. I tried to pick up the game on WCCO 830 on the dial however I tuned on to the Eau Claire station by mistake. This team from Green Bay, Wis was just killing the Cleveland Browns. I did not know too much about pro ball then however I did know that Jim Brown was a very good player and this Green Bay team was just having their way with the Ohio boys.

All I heard was Hornung and Taylor. Well I was eight years old at the time. The Packers were winners and this new vike team were losers.

I was hooked. My only son who is now 29 years old is named Bart Taylor.

GREEN BAY FOREVER!!!

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in St. Louis in '88 and hadn't lived in Wisconsin until I came up to Madison for college this fall but both my parents were from Wisconsin. My dad grew up in Sturgeon Bay and both him and his dad were big Packer fans. So naturally my dad would sit me down in front of the tv for Packer games before I could even walk. By the time I was four I was running around the back yard with a football pretending I was a Packer receiver and have been a fanatic since. In '95 my parents got DirectTV so we could have NFL Sunday Ticket and watch the Pack every week. Since then I've watched at least a quarter of every single Packer game with the exception of maybe two or three and I've seen every single play of about 80% of those games. I love my Packers and always will. No franchise can ever touch them.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im 16. But when I was like 9 I think my best friend wore a Favre Jersey. I was like , who is that? He said the best Quarterback right now. So I was like cool. I went and watched 1 game, and they lost. I didn't know why, but I was pissed off that they lost. Then I realized, Im a Packer fan. So Favre started it, now I <3 all the players!

Btw I live in PA so it wasn't because I live anywhere near GB.
(MAJOR Eagle hater :wink: )

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year in Feb. in Saukville, WI, there would be an event called "Sports Day" and several athletes and coaches would show up. Packers, Badgers, Bucks, Marquette Warriors, later Brewers, and each would give a speech and sign autographs. Over the course of several years I accumulated a few HOF players from the Packers in the book they gave us when we arrived. Damn, I wish I knew what happened to those.
Cheesey, were you in the area back in the late 60s and early 70s? It was at the Catholic church in Saukville, cost about a buck.
I worked in Saukville for about 10 years, 89-00 or thereabouts. Lived in Port. Good to see someone from the old neighborhood on here.

Anyway I grew up in West Central Wisconsin back in the day before cable. All we got were Minnesota stations until eventually we got one out of LaCrosse when Dad put up a bigger aerial. Sports were not a big deal in my house. But when I got older about 12 or so I began to notice my uncles, who came up north to hunt, would watch the Packers on Thanksgiving. It seemed they played the Lions a lot on Thanksgiving back then. Quickly I was hooked. So since about 1972 the NFL and the Packers have been a big part of my life.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised just south of Green Bay. Kind of remember the 1st two Super Bowls, but was only 5 and 6 at the time.

I do remember going over to my grandparents on Sunday and watching or listening to the games on the radio. If the Packers were home and the game was blacked out, we would sometimes journey down to West Bend and watch at my Aunt and Uncle's house(as they could get Milwaukee stations).

We had neighbors who were season ticket holders, and would sometimes get to go with them. We also had many Packers appearing at local events - I got a Carroll Dale autograph at a church function one year and also remember playing basketball in Junior High and seeing Fuzzy Thurston in the stands watching his son.

I was born into the culture that gradually grew until it reached maturity somewhere around High School and has continued to this day.

We no longer live in Wisconsin, but I am trying to introduce that culture to my children as well.

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian packer said:
In Canada we don't have an NFL team. Most people are Bill fans or detroit fans. It was in the 80's and I watch my first football game and it was the Packers. I have been a fan since.

I am only a couple hours from Detroit so I get to see one Live game a year. It is tough going to games their because my Licence plates say Packrfan. I do get heckled alot. I finally this past summer made it to lambeau field for a preseason game against Seattle. I think that that may be a yearly Vacation moving forward.
i feel you on the no NFL in canada road. the CFL is alright but its nothing like the NFL, when your hooked lol.
born, raised and live in montreal. being a habs fan(montreal canadiens, historied hockey team, 24 championships and what not) you could say i have a "thing" for historied and champion teams. hehe.
so since all my friends are NFL fans and are willing to watch any game, i must care for the team on the field to care to watch a game, and thus one of them suggested the packers.
though im not hooked on them quite yet, i gotta say i dont regret it!
there a young team and have enough historied record breaking vets to keep a guy wanting more.
so, i guess its true,
GO PACK!

Members online

Latest posts