how did you become a packers fan?

packerbacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im from michigan and i should have been a lions fan,but i got lucky and was pretty much raised by packers fans.what i want to know if for all of you packers fans out there that dont live in green bay, how or what is your story of you becoming a fan

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was around 11 or 12 years old, my last name started with a "G" so i bought a Packers hat and it snowballed out of control from there. pretty silly, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was around 11 or 12 years old, my last name started with a "G" so i bought a Packers hat and it snowballed out of control from there. pretty silly, but i wouldn't have it any other way.
"Gargantuan" is your last name??? :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My story........it was 1965. I really didn't understnd football at the time. I was sitting in the livingroom, and watching the Packers play with my Dad and Brother. All of the sudden, it just clicked for me, and i understood it, and that was it, i have been a Packer fan ever since. In 1966 and 67, i had my Dad get me 2 big scrapbooks from his work. Those 2 years i cut out every newspaper article from the Milwaukee Journal that i could find. It was just by luck that i got both Super Bowl seasons in my scrapbooks.
And believe it or not, i STILL have them.
I survived and remained loyal to "my" team, through the horrible 1970's and 8o's.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Born and raised! I was born in Milwaukee, so that's the main connection. Last Christmas my sister found and enlarged a pic of me at six months old with Packers baby clothes on. I might just post the pic.

JoshTheChild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Live in Houston, tx and I have been a packers fan ever since the oilers left houston. I chose the packers because I liked the fact that they were not in a city like chicago, dallas, ny, etc. Its just a small town. I have stuck with them ever since and am not looking to change that! I have never even been to wisconsin, but i have been to some packers games in chicago ( i have family there), but next year I am hoping to finally go to a packers home game. It will be against the texans, I will be cheering for the pack and my dad will rep the texans.

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2005 when I was 13 years old my friend let me borrow his copy of 'Madden NFL 04'. I knew nothing about NFL so I was completely lost when I opened the game. I went to 'quickplay' I chose to play as the Packers beacause they had the best logo out of the teams I looked at. When I started playing I thought Favre, Walker and Driver were pretty good so I kept playing as Green Bay. Once I got to know how NFL worked and learnt the basic rules I got on the internet and started reasearching and watching the Packers and it has gone on from then. (Even though the first season I was interested in them they went 4-12.)

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I became a lifelong fan watching the Heartbreaker to the Eagles at Franklin Field in dec 1960. Living on the East Coast I didn't get to see Packer Games like you do today but I still remember the Great teams and those brutal cold weather wins against the Giants and Cowboys!!
Pack88

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Oshkosh and was born into it. I'm spoiled though. I was born in '88 so the only quarterback that I can honestly remember watching was Favre.

BigPlay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a born and raised new yorker. No one watched sports in my house at all. So, once i started to watch sports, I started rooting for the teams that I saw a lot. Naturally, during the mid to late 1990's the packers were on television all the time. So, the image of the green and gold just began stuck in my mind. Since then it has been a huge love affair!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in 1988 I lived in El Paso Texas and the UTEP Miners had a really good year, and went to the Independence Bowl. They played Southern Miss and lost 38-18. Southern Miss had a sophomore quarterback by the name of Brett Favre. He was slinging the ball all over the field, and even though he destroyed the Miners that day, he was a joy to watch. I have been following Brett and the Packers ever since.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also from Michigan. I remember way back in 1968 hearing a lot of things on TV about the Greenbay Packers. Bart Starrs name was everywhere. I got interested and begen paying attention to football and the Packers. I got away from football for a while till about 8 years ago when my son started playing. I got into coaching his team for a few seasons and he started watching football on TV. I started to watch it with him because I wanted to spend as much time with him as I could. His team was the Patriots (go figure). I eventually gravitated back to the Packers and have been hooked again ever since.

My son now could care less about the NFL. He is more into College football. He has switched to a new favorite NFL team though. When he does watch Pro football it's the Packers that he watches. He says that if he does ever get to play on a pro team he wants it to be Greenbay.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised a couple of hours from Green Bay, I remember the first time I watched the Packers play and I said to myself "Self? Who is that amazing QB?" he (Favre) was the most exciting QB to watch you just never knew what he was going to do next, Favre kept my interest in the game. I didnt watch the Packers before Favre because I really didnt know what was going on in the game, I would see all these players just pile on top of one another and thought "This is a game"? LOL..Needless to say I do understand it more now with the help of my Husband and fans like you guys, I have learned alittle more year after year and still learning.

I also loved that Green Bay was a small town, the Packers fans are amazing people down to earth where else do you find this these days. I am not saying that other teams dont have great fans as well, it just seems like our fans stand behind our team through thick and thin. And then the icing on the cake was going to Lambeau to see this amazing stadium for myself and everytime I go I still get excited.

I was born and raised a Packer fan, just didnt know it til I was alittle older. :)

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I MOVED to this country with my parents in September 1969. I knew nothing of the language, culture, people, etc.

I distinctly remember what it was like in the fall with the football season and all... I LEARNED to be a Packer fan and having had a fascination with history even as a kid, I learned all about the Packers, the dynasty, Lombardi, Starr, Nitzschke, et al...

Though I had no idea of the Packers of the 60s other than what I read, heard, and what I saw in 1969-1972, I could only imagine what they must have been like since many of those players weere playing into the early 70's.

Then came the 70's and the struggles and I wondered how great this team must have been at one time to still have that kind of following...

I guess I really didn't know any different... I thought that fandom was a part of the American culture... And it is! For the Packers fans.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my brother was a fan and still is,my son watched it i could care less the only game i can remember was the ice bowl and thought you people are crazy to be out in the freezzing cold to watch a stupid football game,my brother said you dont know nothing football is the best in wisconsin my son said mom just sit and watch i tried felt okay i'm bored enough of this,then one day out of the blue i eas bored waiting for the kids to come home dont know why but being sunday nothing was on,but football but it wasnt the packers it was the colts and i liked how they were playing thought the q.b. was humble and was told you want to see a good q.b. watch the packers game have been a fan since

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the 1965 season pretty well, I was 7, turned 8 around Thanksgiving. Been a diehard ever since. I lived in CO, CA, and TX in the 80s, so I got a little out of touch with the Packers because they mostly sucked and got little air time or ink. I had to rely on the Packer Report for info. Of course, with the internet, I'm as tuned in as someone from Wisconsin might be other than the local, palpable buzz.
I can remember almost all of the players, numbers, and colleges from the 60s, because when you're a kid, that's what you're into. Hell, I remember all of the Bears, Vikes, Lions, Rams, Colts, etc players.
Anybody remember the Packer Press Guide that came out every year? Glossy, about half the size of a sheet of standard printer paper, and had a nice, half-page bio on every player. Filled with history, stats, records, etc.
I think Ford Corp. put it out.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a fan since the 60's. Every Sunday we'd go to church, then come home and mom would have a big dinner on the table and then the whole family (minus mom) would retire to the living room to watch the Packer games. Ray Scott did all the games in those days and even today anytime I hear his voice it just brings back great memories. The Badgers weren't very good in those days and the Braves had left town and the Packers were all we had and I think it was that combination that has helped to maintain this major connection. I have had the privilege and honor of watching some of the games greatest players play in Green Bay. They were not just great players, they were wonderful characters too. Ask Jerry Kramer if he would have taken a contract in Minnesota. All those old Packers are still treated like royalty here in Wisconsin. Don't kid yourself, the players of today will be treated the same way if they only learn to remain loyal to their fans.

Not to put a bad thought on a great post, but guys like Sharper and Longwell will never know the feelings that Bret Favre, Chad Clifton, Donald Driver and the other very loyal Packers will have with their fans.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My story........it was 1965. I really didn't understnd football at the time. I was sitting in the livingroom, and watching the Packers play with my Dad and Brother. All of the sudden, it just clicked for me, and i understood it, and that was it, i have been a Packer fan ever since. In 1966 and 67, i had my Dad get me 2 big scrapbooks from his work. Those 2 years i cut out every newspaper article from the Milwaukee Journal that i could find. It was just by luck that i got both Super Bowl seasons in my scrapbooks.
I survived and remained loyal to "my" team, through the horrible 1970's and 8o's.
way2cool

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
way2cool
Thanks DH! I have seen great, and horrible years, but have remained loyal. I used to get teased by kids because I was a "Packer fan". But that didn't stop me from loving MY team.
Like the saying goes.........you don't love them because they are good, you love them because they are YOURS!
I didn't see my first "live" Packer game until 1970. My Dad took me to a preseason game at Milwaukee County stadium. It was against the Bears, and ended in a 6-6 tie. My next game i saw was a preseason game at Lambeau Field in 1983 against Cleveland, a 20-21 loss.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see when did we play the Vikings and Longwell kicked that field goal i was watching the game on NFL.com ( Play by Play) and then i got to watch it on sky sports i think it was near Christmas a few years ago Been a Packer Fan since then and i love it :)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
cheesey said:
way2cool
Thanks DH! I have seen great, and horrible years, but have remained loyal. I used to get teased by kids because I was a "Packer fan". But that didn't stop me from loving MY team.
Like the saying goes.........you don't love them because they are good, you love them because they are YOURS!
I didn't see my first "live" Packer game until 1970. My Dad took me to a preseason game at Milwaukee County stadium. It was against the Bears, and ended in a 6-6 tie. My next game i saw was a preseason game at Lambeau Field in 1983 against Cleveland, a 20-21 loss.

heck in the early 70's my pops would get tickets, tell me to select one of my friends, then drive us to county stadium, drop us off, he would go sit in a west allis tavern all day, me and my buddy would go to the game, and then he would come and get us after the game was over. i sat through plenty of games at county stadium through the 70's and 80's. cold , wet, rainy, it really did not matter, i loved the game of football. watching "sweetness" & fran tarkenton, chuck foreman, amahd rashad, it was all good.

the last game at county stadium was one of the best times i ever had.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
dhpackr said:
cheesey said:
way2cool

heck in the early 70's my pops would get tickets, tell me to select one of my friends, then drive us to county stadium, drop us off, he would go sit in a west allis tavern all day, me and my buddy would go to the game, and then he would come and get us after the game was over. i sat through plenty of games at county stadium through the 70's and 80's. cold , wet, rainy, it really did not matter, i loved the game of football. watching "sweetness" & fran tarkenton, chuck foreman, amahd rashad, it was all good.

the last game at county stadium was one of the best times i ever had.

Ah... The county stadium...

I used to go to those every once in a while. I saw Jerry Tagge run for a 40 yard TD vs the Saints in '73(?)

Brings me back memories... sniff! wipe... Sigh!

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Green Bay, and I no longer live in WI. As a very young kid (****ey/Wright era) I wasn't very interested in football, mostly because I didn't understand it. During Majkowski's reign I watched more games, including our upset of the 49ers and the "instant replay" win over the Bears. I went to a few games as well, including a Bears game in 85 or 86.

At that point I was an average fan, not a fanatic. I didn't turn into a big fan until Brett came in to win that first game against Cincinnati. By then I was a little older and had a better understanding of the game, plus Brett was so exciting. There was a palpable feeling right away that he was going to do great things, that we were going to steadily get better. The whole feeling in Green Bay just changed dramatically. Brett has been playing so long that a lot of younger fans probably have no idea what this transition was like. It swept me up and I've been watching religiously every Sunday since Brett beat the Bengals. (No matter where I am.)

I only ever saw one game at County Stadium, with Favre losing to Marino. That was probably in '93.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year in Feb. in Saukville, WI, there would be an event called "Sports Day" and several athletes and coaches would show up. Packers, Badgers, Bucks, Marquette Warriors, later Brewers, and each would give a speech and sign autographs. Over the course of several years I accumulated a few HOF players from the Packers in the book they gave us when we arrived. Damn, I wish I knew what happened to those.
Cheesey, were you in the area back in the late 60s and early 70s? It was at the Catholic church in Saukville, cost about a buck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts