How Did We Get Holmgren?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a note in my massive drafting spreadsheet indicating that the Packers gave away one of their second round picks in 1992 to get Mike Holmgren (the other used to select Mark D'Onofrio). In my web searches I haven't been able to confirm or deny the specifics around Holmgren's hiring. Does anyone else remember how Mike got hired?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we basically traded Tim Harris for Holmgren.

Wish we got compensation for all these coaches, coordinators, and scouts that other teams keep taking away.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Parcells had a play here...Was he interviewed?? Dont know..But his name was coming up

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. For some reason I wasn't finding anything - likely user error. What I was really trying to get to was where the extra pick came from, so it's good to know that it was the Tim Harris trade.

It's also worth noting that the Brett Favre pick came because the Eagles wanted to move up to our 8th spot in the 1991 draft. In return we got the #19 pick in 1991 but also got the #17 pick in 1992, which we traded to Atlanta for Brett Lorenzo. So I guess that Tom Braatz deserves a small share of credit for making the Favre trade possible.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Second round for Holmgren, second round for Favre. I'd say those were two really well spent draft picks. Interesting the SF connection, Two great coaches who were both SF's OC at the time. A Rivalry between SF and the PACK during their tenure. Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln, Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.... Bring on the Theremin music.

Members online

Latest posts