How did Capers go from brilliant to dim-witted in such a short span?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010 Dom Capers was revered as a master defensive mind and the product of **** Lebeau's handed down knowledge. The Packers defense was average in 2010 except for when the playoffs started, and amassed plenty of turnovers against elite teams.

Can someone for the love of God explain to me HOW that changes after one year? I understand momentum, but how does momentum generate and similarly take away what appears to be real skill? Tramon Williams and Sam Shields were pretty amazing during that playoff stretch in 2010, and now they look like dummies? It's not like there has been giant personnel changes since 2010.

2010=Dom Capers is a genius.
2011=Dom Capers better be worried.
1st game of 2012=Dom Capers is on the chopping block.

Also is anyone else tired of feeling like the game was way more of a blow out than the score represented? In the playoff game the refs gave the Packers an opportunity with the blown (clearly blown) fumble call. Now in this game there is a clear block in the back that was for reasons I will not understand picked up, which gave us a chance.

Makes me feel like the Packers are quite weaker than their offensive stats suggest. Looking back on this game I honestly feel 7 points was all we really earned, and even that is a stretch.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For most thinking fans, it's not Capers, it's the players not executing Capers' design. They did in 2010. As far as the offense goes, one game doesn't make a trend. We've got too much talent not to be a dominant offensive team, imo.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget Rodgers or Matthews being the team MVP in 2010. Collins and Jenkins should have been getting all of the awards.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Dont think that he went from brilliant to dim witted, I just think that teams have caught on to his schemes. He needs to evolve his defense as the NFL evolves. He needs to run a better disguise as to what he is doing. During the 2009 and 2010 seasons, he let CM3 loose and had him rushing the passer from what ever spot or angle that he wanted to. You never knew where CM3 was coming from. He did some wild "maniac" rushes, wild twists rushes and had some sneaky blitz packages.....all of which worked. For 2011, CM3 was rushing off the right side EVERY damn time. Teams knew that is where he was coming from and double teamed him accordingly, thus the lack of production. I don't know why he did that, but is was senseless. He needs to drop that zone blitz package down to only just a couple times per game, and get back to his sneaky type blitz packages.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant win a race against a race car with a mini van, no matter if Matt Kenseth is driving or not.

Justanobserver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers offense all the defense needs to do is be mid-upper level to compete every year. It does not help to lose 2 quality starters (Collins and Jenkins). Not many defenses can afford those kind of losses and not fall in the defensive ratings. The good news is the GM is addressing this issue and the Packers still have a great team that will be in the running for years to come as long as Rodgers stays healthy.

Thursday get ready for a Packer blowout of the Bears 10+ points IMO. That team is truly overrated, Urlacher is done you can stick a fork in him, that guy is playing on 1 leg and can't move, watch him Thursday night. That defense depends on him dropping back into coverage often. Rodgers and Benson are going to be having fun, lots of smiling will be going on.:)

Get back from the cliff the Pack will win the North and be in the playoffs again. Look how bad the Giants looked at times last year, but they still had a core of good players to put them over the top. The Packers have a good core and possibly the best QB in football, that makes a difference...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have to play on the field to have an impact. his scheme doesn't work at this point. It hasn't worked and there is a different approach needed. I'm, not saying fire the guy but he needs to change a ton of things. Rather it be moving some guy's around, more man to man, i don't care i can't stomach another crap effort on defense sorry.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
A good coach will play to the strength of his players. He puts the right people in the right positions. He also makes mid course corrections. Capers don't seem able to do either.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Williams screwed up his shoulder and wasn't back to his form at ALL last season and I'm sure it'll take a a game or two for him to be back this season. On top of that, we lost Bishop for the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Williams screwed up his shoulder and wasn't back to his form at ALL last season and I'm sure it'll take a a game or two for him to be back this season. On top of that, we lost Bishop for the season.

Can't use the injury thing as an excuse anymore. Remember we won the SB with a ton of second stringers so that excuse is out the window. Capers just needs to stop being so conservative and predictable and get with the times. The zone blitz only works when you have two legit pass rushers and your line can generate some pressure up the middle. At this point we have neither.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't use the injury thing as an excuse anymore. Remember we won the SB with a ton of second stringers so that excuse is out the window. Capers just needs to stop being so conservative and predictable and get with the times. The zone blitz only works when you have two legit pass rushers and your line can generate some pressure up the middle. At this point we have neither.

I was talking specifically about Williams and why he wasn't as good last year as he had been the year before. No it not an excuse, as it would have been if he had sat out the whole season because of it.

Reaction score
2010 Dom Capers was revered as a master defensive mind and the product of **** Lebeau's handed down knowledge. The Packers defense was average in 2010 except for when the playoffs started, and amassed plenty of turnovers against elite teams.

Can someone for the love of God explain to me HOW that changes after one year? I understand momentum, but how does momentum generate and similarly take away what appears to be real skill? Tramon Williams and Sam Shields were pretty amazing during that playoff stretch in 2010, and now they look like dummies? It's not like there has been giant personnel changes since 2010.

2010=Dom Capers is a genius.
2011=Dom Capers better be worried.
1st game of 2012=Dom Capers is on the chopping block.

Also is anyone else tired of feeling like the game was way more of a blow out than the score represented? In the playoff game the refs gave the Packers an opportunity with the blown (clearly blown) fumble call. Now in this game there is a clear block in the back that was for reasons I will not understand picked up, which gave us a chance.

Makes me feel like the Packers are quite weaker than their offensive stats suggest. Looking back on this game I honestly feel 7 points was all we really earned, and even that is a stretch.

Capers just went from Dimwitted back up to Brilliant

Members online

Latest posts