How devastating is this loss?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
However, last nights dump was second. What hurts most about it is that it didn't have to be. When every team throws for almost 400+ yards on you every game during the regular season and nothing is done about it you know you're in trouble later on.

Which shouldnt have been a surprise, if you thought 400 yards wouldnt happen then you had to much faith

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
After all that happened this week, what it felt like is that they just really wanted to go home.

I don't know why, but I'm not mad at them today (no one person to focus on), and I don't feel devastated. In '08 I did. I'm more a little sad, but sad for them...because it's just really hard to see a champion fall down and lose so pathetically.

I think I'd actually feel more heartbroken if we'd lost like New Orleans did - but at least they can say they put up a fight.

We just let the mugger take our wallet.

Their hearts were just not in it.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Which shouldnt have been a surprise, if you thought 400 yards wouldnt happen then you had to much faith

Not sure how anyone could think 400 yards wouldn't happen. We just expected they'd do what they typically did on the other side of the ball.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that historically, this is a more shocking loss than any other playoff loss in recent memory. Superbowl champs coming off a 15-1 regular season? All the talk from pundits about the unstoppable offense, and perhaps that this was the beginning of a dynasty?

Reaction score
Upsetting, not devastating. I figured that our bad defense was going to catch up with us and it did. Not getting stops on 3rd down shows me that our defense was just terrible. They just look so undisciplined out there. Peprah's "tackle" on Nicks was awful. He tried to lower the shoulder into his shoulder thinking that Nicks would go down. Nicks is big and strong, that kind of tackle was not going to bring him down. SMH.

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
It hurts. It's not so much the loss but it's how we lost that really disappoints me. No energy, no emotion. They looked like a different team out there yesterday. Sad way to end such a great season. The road to Super Bowl XLVII starts now...

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have won if Philbins son didn't go missing or die.

I'm not so sure..... I remember on this board before playoff started people posted here that a healthy Giants coming in during playoff was your worst nightmare. That post was by a Cheesehead at Metlife during the first game. He was right. I was surprised I was at the Last two Giant home games. They did the same thing they did against Cowboys and the Falcons. I think you lost to the only team that could have beaten you at home. a lot of people looked at 15-1 and 9-7 and expected a blow out.
If looked that first game the Pack had the ball 6 min longer and without the officials making bad calls you would not have won that game. People said it was excuses and sour grapes..... it wasn't. It was the truth. The officiating was bad in this game too. The game could have been 37-10.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather lose this way then another OT game or something because maybe, just maybe, the GLARING problems will be addressed now. If we lost a squeeker, our coaches might just chalk it up to bad luck or something, but nope. We're not as good as everyone thought we were.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I was more devastated after the 07 NFCCG- I had no emotions after that game cause i couldn't really believe what just happened. After our terrible performance yesterday I had plenty of emotion because I knew that the day the offense struggled it would be the end of us. The Wild Card game in 09' was worse IMO as well. Losing that way in overtime in the playoffs after that type of game is heartbreaking to say the least.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
I was more devastated after the 07 NFCCG- I had no emotions after that game cause i couldn't really believe what just happened. After our terrible performance yesterday I had plenty of emotion because I knew that the day the offense struggled it would be the end of us. The Wild Card game in 09' was worse IMO as well. Losing that way in overtime in the playoffs after that type of game is heartbreaking to say the least.

I cringe every time I see that hand with its grip on Rodgers' facemask.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On an emotional level, you're going to get different answers on what Packers loss has been the most devastating. For me, the most viscerally devastating loss was the '98 Wild Card--Young's bomb to T.O. with just seconds left, after Favre's TD to Freeman w/1:56 to go made it look like the Packers would win on the road.
Historically, however, this is worse, because it didn't come down to one play, like a Rodgers fumble or Favre interception. It wasn't a competitive game, and too many players made mistakes. You can't pin it on one player or one play. For a 15-1 team to get rolled at home like this, it's perhaps the worst playoff loss in team history.
I do think they'll learn from this, and there should be no reason at this point to think that they won't be SB contenders next season.

Reaction score
Losing in the Super Bowl to Denver was just horrible. The '07 championship game was bad too and losing to the Eagles on 4th and 26 would probably rank as more devastating than yesterday's game but it's still very upsetting.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not devastating. Very disappointing as others have said. Difference is we did not deserve to win, and i can accept that. Giants outplayed us and appeared more interested in winning - they deserve to go on.

What was devastating is the last time we played the Giants in the playoffs and it came down to one person ******** it up for the entire team. Or losing to the Broncos in that SB. In both cases were the better team then and we lost. Those were tough to take.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have won if Philbins son didn't go missing or die.
I agree.
Things probably would have been different if he hadn't died or would have stupidly wandered onto ice after the Super Bowl.
Mike should have told Joe Philbin to stay home.
Packers didn't need that reminder or bad juju to be there.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This loss was bad. Second worst loss in team history. SBXXXII was obviously the worst loss. When you go 15-1, and then lose your opening game at home, that is BAD. Extremely bad.

But I'm personally not too devastated. I'm not too surprised this team lost, given the poor defense. Also, to lose in the opening round is disappointing, but doesn't hurt me THAT much. Now if they had made it to SBXLVI and lost, then that would be very devastating - to lose when you're so close.

Also, the hail mary goes down as the worst play in team history, worse than 4th-and-26.

OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually did a ranking on my blog of most devastating losses since 1995 (the year I started watching the Packers) and I'm going to have to revise it. I did it before 2009 and the Arizona loss - although that would rank low in the top 10, given that the team had no shot at beating New Orleans anyway. I'll have to get around to posting that.

Cali's#1Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather lose this way then another OT game or something because maybe, just maybe, the GLARING problems will be addressed now. If we lost a squeeker, our coaches might just chalk it up to bad luck or something, but nope. We're not as good as everyone thought we were.

This was exactly my thought on the loss. I think its better for the team, cause now they have to live with themselves knowing they got demoralized and ended a season in that matter. This will definitely give them more incentive to go into next season more prepared.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a great season. Awesome. Just awesome and epic. 15-1. Can't ask for much more than that.
Thinking about that does remove some of the hurt of this loss.
But then I'm reminded that we have to wait for another whole friggin year to get to this point again!
It sucks that they have to start over again when the SB was just two games away.
Oh well. At least we're not fans of the Vikings who had to suffer with a BrINT Fail interception.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think if we would've been 16-0, we would have made the Super Bowl. The loss to KC seemed to kill the morale of the team and the fans subconsciously, even though nobody would ever admit it. It's like after we lost the perfect season, we just thought we would cruise into the Super Bowl... apparently not.

Yeah I was pretty bummed out after the loss to the Chiefs. I almost felt like if the team kept chugging along and went 16-0 they might have done it all.

As for this loss. It was bad but at least they got soundly beaten to me and did not lose to say one play or two in the end. I bet it feels even worse for the Saints fans knowing how close they were to winning in SF and hosting the title game.

Aaron is still young so he will contend for years. Have to make some improvements though around him.

Staff online

Latest posts