How devastating is this loss?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was our year.

From the opening kickoff of the season to the frenetic finish vs. Detroit, I felt that this was our year. Nothing was going to stop us from winning a second straight Super Bowl. And yet, now it's all over, much too soon.

So how devastating is this loss? Where does it rank among Packers losses all-time? Right now I think it has to rank 3rd - behind only the NFC Championship loss of 2007 and the Super Bowl XXXII loss. It may not have been a close game, but considering how it appeared that this team was just destined to win it all, and they came up well short, it's just horrible. All that dynasty talk, all those thoughts of being forever remembered as a back-to-back champion - out the window right off the bat.

I'm going to have to start hating the Giants - a team I've always supported at least in the NFC East (cause I hate Dallas and Philly so much). They are the new 90s Cowboys and early 00s Eagles to us. The team we can never beat when it matters.

I truly believe we had this Super Bowl championship in the bag if we could have won this game. At the very least, we would have beaten the 49ers and taken the Patriots to the wire. Now, all that is gone. Just a truly devastating loss that may haunt us for years (even if the Packers bounce back to win next year's Super Bowl, because then it could have been a true dynasty).

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a devastating loss. Playoff losses always are, but I don't find it that terrible because as the season wore on it became more and more obvious that there were major weaknesses to this team which would have made it very very hard for us to repeat.

What was devastating was the way we lost. Packers were horrible, just competely off. But at the same time there is a solid core of players here that promises many future playoff appearances. We'll be back next year and hopefully we'll actually have a defense this time around.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
VERY devastating.
So much I woke up at 4 am, couldn't sleep, kept thinking about how bad everyone played with the fumbles, to the big drops by Jennings, Crabtree, Starks... to the pathetic tackling the play before the.... pathetic hail mary where Peprah and Woodson were just beaten like drums by Hakeem Nicks.... why didn't we call a timeout before that play to set up the super prevent defense back there?

To make it worse, we the heavy favorites to win the Super Bowl, became the only HOME team to lose in the whole playoffs, and my sheet and my son's sheet were going to win the pool we were in if we won the Super Bowl. Little 8-year old cutie had it if we were to beat the Ravens, and me if we were to beat the Patriots.

I know the cold weather bothered us some. I wonder if Philbin not being there all week to crunch film of the Giants for his normal 60 hours in the week had a little or lot to do with the offense being off. The cold fingers dropping passes, fumbling.... just sucked.

I am boycotting ESPN today and all week. You guys will be my only outlet for the heartbreak. So sad. Like a funeral, partly because we can't alleviate this until the next playoffs... going 16-0 in the regular season won't mean anything. All the regular season wins are nice and all, but don't count towards legacies and history really.

Now I will root for everyone but New England.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devastating would be playing a lights out game only to get one upped by the opponent who played out of their mind good. This was just an embarrassing effort. The entire organization needs to learn that once you climb the mountain you are not just entitled to sit on top. You need to climb it again. The 15 wins covered some very poor play at times this year that never got corrected for whatever reason and it all culminated yesterday.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I woke up 3 times last night trying to convince myself it was Sunday Morning and I just had a bad dream. Still, with the way the defense had played this year I wasn't shocked. The drops were drive and momentum killers.

D

Derps

It's one of the biggest choke jobs in NFL history. At least that what ESPN said this morning.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#3 on the list? It is #1 on my list. This is the most devastating loss in Packers HISTORY. This wasn't Favre being a bonehead in OT, it was the ENTIRE team folding like a lawn chair. They won 15 GAMES in the regular season. To lose at HOME in the divisional playoff game after going 15-1? No question, this is worst loss EVER.

D

Dan115

#3 on the list? It is #1 on my list. This is the most devastating loss in Packers HISTORY. This wasn't Favre being a bonehead in OT, it was the ENTIRE team folding like a lawn chair. They won 15 GAMES in the regular season. To lose at HOME in the divisional playoff game after going 15-1? No question, this is worst loss EVER.

The Packers were favored by 14 in the Super Bowl they lost.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
There was no choke. Giants won the game by NOT making mistakes and capitalizing on the turnovers. Rodgers hadn't played a down since December 25th. Personally, I wouldn't have given him the week off. At least have him in for 3 or 4 series in week 17 to keep in the football mind frame. Next year, hand out a box of Butterfinger candy bars to the receiving corp, tell them to eat'em and get it out of their system. (something I use to do for my players)

If the Rodgers would have brought down the trajectory a little on four or five balls, this game would have been much different. The '11 Packers and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of. 15-1 season. Great regular season performance by Rodgers. Just like I am not ashamed of the '98 Vikings and the great season they had. Keep your head up and come back strong next season! I know that's what my Vikings will do and so will your Packers.

I love the game of football. That is something we ALL share. We just happen to wear different colors and different hats on our heads is all.

~Val

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
There was no choke. Giants won the game by NOT making mistakes and capitalizing on the turnovers. Rodgers hadn't played a down since December 25th. Personally, I wouldn't have given him the week off. At least have him in for 3 or 4 series in week 17 to keep in the football mind frame. Next year, hand out a box of Butterfinger candy bars to the receiving corp, tell them to eat'em and get it out of their system. (something I use to do for my players)

If the Rodgers would have brought down the trajectory a little on four or five balls, this game would have been much different. The '11 Packers and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of. 15-1 season. Great regular season performance by Rodgers. Just like I am not ashamed of the '98 Vikings and the great season they had. Keep your head up and come back strong next season! I know that's what my Vikings will do and so will your Packers.

I love the game of football. That is something we ALL share. We just happen to wear different colors and different hats on our heads is all.

~Val

I said this back in December and was castigated for it by a few. Like I said then, we proved we can overcome injuries, but I don't believe many can overcome a lack of momentum.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that devastating.

The 2008 NFC Championship was a much bigger upset than this.

I believe there are six teams in NFL history who have scored 540 points during the regular season or more. That list includes the '07 Patriots (589) '11 Packers (560), '98 Vikings (556), '83 Redskins? (543) '00 Rams (540). I think I'm missing someone else, also.

None of them won the SB. Three of them didn't even make it that far.

The Packers were so dependent on their passing game that they were basically screwed once someone contained it. The Giants did. We lost.

(EDIT - '98 vikes, not '99)

D

Dan115

Not that devastating.

I believe there are six teams in NFL history who have scored 540 points during the regular season or more. That list includes the '07 Patriots (589) '11 Packers (560), '99 Vikings (556), '83 Redskins? (543) '00 Rams (540). I think I'm missing someone else, also.

The Packers were so dependent on their passing game that they were basically screwed once someone contained it. The Giants did. We lost.

You nailed it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that devastating.

I believe there are six teams in NFL history who have scored 540 points during the regular season or more. That list includes the '07 Patriots (589) '11 Packers (560), '99 Vikings (556), '83 Redskins? (543) '00 Rams (540). I think I'm missing someone else, also.

Not so sure the Giants "contained" the passing game..the 1st half sure looked like the WR couldnt contain their dropps

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Devasating to ego's primarily - for the fans and even more so for the players.
Other losses will be felt by area businesses (hotels, restaurants, sports apparel stores, etc.) that expected to see a hefty profit from next weeks game. Alas, it's not the first season we haven't made it to the Super Bowl and likely won't be the last. A 15-1 season record is nothing to be ashamed of.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This isnt as bad for me..I said it since Nov, dont take for granted this team makes SB...I guess in back of my mind I just didnt think this team (mostly defense) could perform all year like we needed..

I am surprised that the offense stunk it up..

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its upsetting to me because of how they played,but it's over and I know there is next season that is what ai will hang my hat on.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that you were 15-1, and then played like you were a 9-6 team was the most devastating part of it. Radio hosts all week were pointing out the Green Bay flaws, but then they would always point out that the Pack was 15-1, and that you don't get to be 15-1 for no reason.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I think if we would've been 16-0, we would have made the Super Bowl. The loss to KC seemed to kill the morale of the team and the fans subconsciously, even though nobody would ever admit it. It's like after we lost the perfect season, we just thought we would cruise into the Super Bowl... apparently not.

Reaction score
The NFC Championship loss a few years ago put alot of positive things in motion for this team. Getting rid of Favre for starters. What would've happened if he had stayed? Sure the loss was devastating but look what we gained from it a few years later?

Losing a Superbowl is by far the worse loss for any team. That is our #1, especially to stupid Elway.

However, last nights dump was second. What hurts most about it is that it didn't have to be. When every team throws for almost 400+ yards on you every game during the regular season and nothing is done about it you know you're in trouble later on. Teams are different in the playoffs, and we were so eager to just be GIVEN another trophy that we did nothing during the regular season to try and earn it. I would've rather been the 6th seed again. Then we'd be put into a position to earn another championship.

There is no aura of playing in the frozen tundra anymore because we are now a dome team. Rodgers has yet to win a playoff game at home. We need to fix that bad.

Many people will be leaving this organization starting today and this team will be much different next year. I for one am looking forward to it. Get rid of the lazy right now.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upsetting but not devastating or completely unexpected. This defense has not been playoff caliber most of the year and Aaron and the offense have been taking up the slack. When the offense had a bad game (KC and here) there was no overcoming the defensive weaknesses. Aaron still played well by most standards, just not his. Get over it Packer nation and let the rest of the league continue to play catch up, remember, we've been to the mountaintop 13 times already. More will come. Now, when do pitchers and catchers report?

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am majorly bummed. I wanted an NFCCG between the Pack & Niners soooooo bad. I don't know how it ranks among losses. History is history. I'm over those. The current one stings the most right now.
I gotta believe the death of coach Philbin's son had a lot to do with taking the starch out of the Packers. Everyone was at a funeral on Friday. Rodgers said he'd never been to one before. The whole team was in a bad state going into the weekend.

Next year...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots are the only team left in the playoffs that is devoid of defense - the 49ers, Ravens, and Giants all are playing top-notch on the D-side. This wasn't devastating, just disappointing. The writing was on the wall from Day 1 when we couldn't contain the Saints. This team was riding a super-charged offense into the playoffs, and when the offense couldn't answer the bell, the defense was nowhere to be found as expected.

I'm just glad that I resisted the urge to go watch the Giants beat GB in person during the playoffs again.

Members online

Latest posts