How can these three guys not make the final 53?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliott / Gillett / Rolle ?

Those three guys make plays when they are in. Gillett catches everything. Elliot is getting sacks and pressures. Rolle seems like a nice cover guy and he seems solid on special teams.

I say we keep six WRs
Nelson / Cobb / Boykin / Adams / Janis / Gillett

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ummm, Gillette has been a lot more impressive than Dorsey has.....

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The easy answer as to why those three don't make it is the Packers like others at their positions better. The only negative on Elliott is the competition he's played against - of course that's obviously not his fault. I was really hoping to see him enter the game earlier than he did. He’s competing with Mulumba, Palmer, Hubbard, and Bradford for spots after the top 4 OLBs. IMO he’s the one of the three that’s made the best case for the "final" 53. About a week ago, McGinn reported that Elliott was tied with Peppers in the one-on-ones. I don’t know who Elliott's competition was but again, he can only compete against whoever they line up across from him. As to the other OLBs, Bradford seems to be way behind at OLB but how do they project him at ILB next year (I wish he would have started there his first day in Green Bay)? If he’s waived will a 4-3 team grab him? Still it seems foolish to miss out on the potential of a player like Elliott to hope Bradford contributes next season or the season after that and I certainly don't see that happening. How well has Palmer played? He and Mulumba played as rookies and I liked Mulumba better and my guess is Mulumba makes the roster. Hubbard is a physical specimen, would a team use a roster spot based on his potential?

Rolle’s main competition is probably Goodson. McGinn wrote Goodson is more athletic but Rolle had made more plays at that point (about a week ago). So to answer the question of the OP, they may like Goodson’s potential better and fear he may not make it to the PS, while Rolle was cut twice last year.

To answer the question on Gillett, if they only keep 5 WRs, he doesn’t make it. And he doesn’t make it (obviously) if they like what they’ve seen overall, including TC and STs play from White or Dorsey better.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Elliot is making it almost impossible not to keep him. Goodson is so raw that no one can afford to use up a roster space on him imo. I think Ted is going to shop Neal or Perry to see what he can get in return.

H

HardRightEdge

Gillett is inconsistent. Janis is not ready for prime time; the fact they've not advanced him for punt return duty indicates he's not seen to be ready. If Janis makes it, it will be as a stretch for the #6 position.

Myles White is the #5 WR in my view. He looks to be consistent in his route running, looks effective over the middle, and I think he's had only one uncontested drop in the preseason. He's a guy who can play wide or slot; the versatility should get him on the roster.

I like Rolle for the #10 DB. Goodson has looked quite poor in coverage and at age 25 he becomes a long shot as a development project.

Elliott is 3rd. team All Pro! By that I mean he looks like an All Pro among third-teamers. ;) He's got that quick first step and already looks like a better edge rusher than Perry.

Perry continues to look like a one-trick pony...bull rush off the edge...while still looking mostly lost in other aspects of the game. Still, you have to figure him to stick because of the investment.

I think Elliott makes it as 5th. or 6th. OLB. As for the other guys competing for 5 and 6, I've not been impressed with any one of them. If I had to guess, I'd say Mulumba sticks. He's fairly athletic, has an impressive build, and he's not afraid to hit people; he's serviceable in and around the box. He's not very impressive off the edge or in coverage, but neither are the other contenders. Maybe he learns some "space skills" as he goes, but that's a crap shoot.

3-4 OLBs who are not proficient at edge rushing are a dime a dozen....OK, more like $18 million a dozen...which is why Elliott should be one of the guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this Elliott kid. I know he has been putting up these numbers against 3's and a handful of 2's but I think his skills will transfer over. Great burst, seems to have more than one move and has the always coveted "motor". I think the CBS guys did a great job last night conveying just how much talent is in GB right now and that there are going to be a lot of guys we cut playing for other teams (per the usual). This is one guy I truly hope we keep around but we may lose him in the numbers game. Now Goodson simply can't be in the 53 and there is no arguing that. He may be a player at some point as I think he has a wonderful skill set but with this loaded roster there are only so many reach or project picks you can make in the 53. Bradford has put me to sleep thus far and that ****** me off. I was so jacked about this kid post-draft but has been nothing but forgettable thus far. I am in no writing him off I just thought he would've flashed at least a touch by now. BTW, what the hell is up with "flash, flashed, flashing?" I used it last sentence because I assume it's mandatory when speaking about NFL players this year. Everywhere I turn it's flash this, flashing that. Did I miss a memo or something? Sorry, if you can't tell I am a touch frazzled today and none-to-happy to be at work right now. I have heard this term before but like I said I can't turn on a TV, radio or computer without getting flashed...wait.

H

HardRightEdge

I like this Elliott kid. I know he has been putting up these numbers against 3's and a handful of 2's but I think his skills will transfer over. Great burst, seems to have more than one move and has the always coveted "motor". I think the CBS guys did a great job last night conveying just how much talent is in GB right now and that there are going to be a lot of guys we cut playing for other teams (per the usual). This is one guy I truly hope we keep around but we may lose him in the numbers game. Now Goodson simply can't be in the 53 and there is no arguing that. He may be a player at some point as I think he has a wonderful skill set but with this loaded roster there are only so many reach or project picks you can make in the 53. Bradford has put me to sleep thus far and that ****** me off. I was so jacked about this kid post-draft but has been nothing but forgettable thus far. I am in no writing him off I just thought he would've flashed at least a touch by now. BTW, what the hell is up with "flash, flashed, flashing?" I used it last sentence because I assume it's mandatory when speaking about NFL players this year. Everywhere I turn it's flash this, flashing that. Did I miss a memo or something? Sorry, if you can't tell I am a touch frazzled today and none-to-happy to be at work right now. I have heard this term before but like I said I can't turn on a TV, radio or computer without getting flashed...wait.
I'm beginning to think "flash" is code for a guy who did something noticeably good once but is otherwise unremarkable, inconsistent or maybe just plain not that good. Used in a sentence: "Perry flashed last night with that bull rush sack-strip."

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliot will make the 53 for sure, Rolle has a good chance and Gillett has zero chance he is just not that good despite trying his best. Gillett caught the td juggling it. If he goes up and snags that ball one handed im impressed but what he did was just a try hard play against 2nd/3rd string players. Against the starters he gets hit after the tip and the pass falls incomplete or gets intercepted. Rolle comes down to him or banjo.

H

HardRightEdge

I believe he means Davante Adams - "due to his draft spot" .
That would make sense. It never occurred to me he would be in doubt. "Raiders game" should have been a tip off too...Aaron Adams has played poorly every game.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going with 5 WRs and 2 QBs. I would be surprised if we had 6 WRs on the roster. Abbys injury saved us from carrying 6 wrs

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
does no one think white should be in the 5/6 WRS?
Trade him to Oakland. Their WR situation looks terrible.

Actually, I think it's likely he makes the final cut, depending on injuries at other positions this week. There may be 7-10 guys on the roster bubble. It will work itself out according to Ted.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
As far as White or Gillet making this team,

I think they go with 3QBs.....which means only room for 5WRs .......Janis is my #5

We will know how this plays out by Saturday afternoon

Members online

Latest posts