How are the Packers Trending?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm soliciting this forum for advice on an argument I'm having with my brothers. They are saying the following:

"There is the problem, after Mathews and Rodgers name me an elite payer on the roster.

Here is a game for you.... one of these things is not like the other, see if you can tell me which one it is???
6-10
11-5
10-6
15-1
11-5

Or, lets play the same game with the playoffs
no playoffs
lost in first rd
SB winner
lost in first round
lost in second round"

My counter - the outlier is the 6-10 season because we regularly win the division, make the playoffs, and are one of the true contenders to win the SB each year. You can't trend upwards after winning the SB. You can only ask to continually be in position to win it. And that's where we stand. We are 43-27 in the last 5 seasons! And, if you look at the playoff losses - we were no. 1 seed and lost to the eventual SB champs, and then ran into a buzz saw in Kaepernick that led his team to the SB and was a play away from winning it. We are one of the best teams in the league every year. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Please help settle this dispute. Thanks!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you beat up your brothers? If yes, argument settled. :D

If no, ask them:
1. Which elite player(s) should the Packers acquire? And then ask,
2. How can the Packers retain Rodgers and Matthews into the future and acquire that(those) elite player(s) while staying under the cap and fielding a 53-man roster?

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically, this just appeared on CNNSI.com to help my cause :)

2. Green Bay
The Packers almost always reside near the top of the list when it comes to the reputation of their front office, because they have the talented roster, draft track record, organizational stability and aversion to quick fixes in free agency that have almost always worked for the league's best and brightest teams. There's a good reason Oakland came after Reggie McKenzie as its GM last year, and John Dorsey was Kansas City's choice to lead the franchise as general manager this year. The tough-minded Packers are seen as having the right approach to building an organization and the kind of commitment to the draft that pays dividends.
Thompson is a scout at heart, and he loves nothing more than to watch tape and do his homework, where others GMs might get caught up in the high profile nature and glamor of the job. Green Bay hasn't followed up with the multiple Super Bowl titles that some predicted in the aftermath of its 2010 victory, but its roster is still the envy of most teams, and the Packers aren't going away any time soon. Green Bay has missed the playoffs just once in the past six seasons, and its window will stay open as long as quarterback Aaron Rodgers stays upright.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/nfl-free-agents-front-offices/#ixzz2NMOzTT8i

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm soliciting this forum for advice on an argument I'm having with my brothers. They are saying the following:

"There is the problem, after Mathews and Rodgers name me an elite payer on the roster.

Please help settle this dispute. Thanks!
I'm unsure of the dispute. It is a TEAM game needing an entire ensemble to play their parts. Most teams, even the good ones, have only a few elite players. NE has Brady, GB has the two you named, Chi has Marshall and maybe Forte, Minn has AP and Harvin, Ravens Rice and Lewis, Det has Megatron, Indy won the SB with Peyton, Dullass has ... give me a minute. Who's to say that barring injury say, Benson doesn't dominate with healthy Sherrod and Bulaga. Maybe Neal/Raji set records with Bishop and Perry applying pressure. The Packers are still one of the youngest teams so some elite players are just knocking on the door. Watch for Shields, Sitton, Cobb to get in.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ironically, this just appeared on CNNSI.com to help my cause :)

2. Green Bay
The Packers almost always reside near the top of the list when it comes to the reputation of their front office, because they have the talented roster, draft track record, organizational stability and aversion to quick fixes in free agency that have almost always worked for the league's best and brightest teams. There's a good reason Oakland came after Reggie McKenzie as its GM last year, and John Dorsey was Kansas City's choice to lead the franchise as general manager this year. The tough-minded Packers are seen as having the right approach to building an organization and the kind of commitment to the draft that pays dividends.
Thompson is a scout at heart, and he loves nothing more than to watch tape and do his homework, where others GMs might get caught up in the high profile nature and glamor of the job. Green Bay hasn't followed up with the multiple Super Bowl titles that some predicted in the aftermath of its 2010 victory, but its roster is still the envy of most teams, and the Packers aren't going away any time soon. Green Bay has missed the playoffs just once in the past six seasons, and its window will stay open as long as quarterback Aaron Rodgers stays upright.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/nfl-free-agents-front-offices/#ixzz2NMOzTT8i
Wasn't Seattle's Schneider one of our boys too?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm unsure of the dispute. It is a TEAM game needing an entire ensemble to play their parts. Most teams, even the good ones, have only a few elite players. NE has Brady, GB has the two you named, Chi has Marshall and maybe Forte, Minn has AP and Harvin, Ravens Rice and Lewis, Det has Megatron, Indy won the SB with Peyton, Dullass has ... give me a minute. Who's to say that barring injury say, Benson doesn't dominate with healthy Sherrod and Bulaga. Maybe Neal/Raji set records with Bishop and Perry applying pressure. The Packers are still one of the youngest teams so some elite players are just knocking on the door. Watch for Shields, Sitton, Cobb to get in.
IMO we're lucky to have 2 elite players, some teams have none as you pointed out. Not everybody can be the 49ers, and the 49ers can only do it for another 2 years.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure how having a ton of "Elite" players is relevant. As you pointed out, our record over the past several years speaks for itself. Whatever argument they're trying to make is highly invalid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts