How are Packers Players Treated in Green Bay?

jwmann2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being the NFL's smallest city, I am under the impression that the fans and residents feel much closer to the players and their families. Are they treated as Godly figures or just regular guys? Some cities are different. You should see the way Kansas Basketball players are treated in Lawrence.

Also, with a massive stadium, is the Packer's attendance made up primarily of commuters from Milwaukee on gameday?

Reaction score
Since Green Bay is 99.9% centered around the Packers, even the average player is treated as if he is the president, Justin bieber, etc. A lot of people from all around Wisconsin go to the game and even a good percent of out of state packers fans come.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Milwaukee native, and the people around here get really involved in the Packer games. They mostly watch them on TV though, and I don't know of any folks around here that go to Lambeau Field on gameday.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost all players are treated normal. You see them grocery shopping and out at best buy and for the most part they are left alone. Except it seems the face of the franchise. Favre in the mid 90s stopped going to very public places and arod has withdrawn publicly since he became a starter. He doesn't really drink in public like he used 2.

The only time you see alot of fans from Milwaukee is when their ticket package is for that game. Otherwise it comes from all over the state and beyond.

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live about two minutes from Lambeau (it gets loud here on game day!) and have had my fair share of encounters with Packer players in the community. The players participate in community events, coaches have kids on the local sports teams... my brother's friend lived next to Brett at one point and they TPed his home for homecoming one year. I sang at Reggie White's retirement. One Christmas his wife helped me pick out gifts for my family. Every summer I take the kids I work with (for all you residents, I'm a "parkee") to Kid's Day, where players gather to spend time with the local kids (among other events).

Generally, they are treated as just regular guys. That's not to say that some aren't given the full treatment, of course.

As far as Milwaukee goes, there are different packages. Sometimes there are a lot of commuters from Milwaukee; sometimes not. I know many Brown County residents who go to at least one game per year because we have a "lottery" system where residents can purchase four tickets if their name is drawn.

Every summer I give myself the "tourist treatment" and go to training camp. They have this map there where people put a pin where they're from. There are pins from all over the world! One summer the woman in charge of the map asked me where I was from. I pointed down Oneida and said "there." We had a good laugh about it, but it is so mind-boggling to me that so many people from all over the world are drawn to this city. It's what I grew up with. It's all so normal to me, but when I leave for a while and come back I am always reminded how special this city really is.

Members online

Latest posts