Horrid officiating for a super bowl.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Why all the hate for the Steelers? Yes, the officiating sucked, but to mock Cowher and his team is juvenile at best.

From my view, Ben got the tip of the ball across the line by maybe an inch and was thrust back by the simultaneous hit. It was a TD.

The league has been calling interference tight for several years...on both the offense and defense. Hey, works both ways...he DID push off and gain seperation....and he got the flag he deserved.

The Hasselbeck block was a joke call, and the holding on Locklear could just as easily been ignored as called.

Beyond that, the Seahawks' WRs failed to stay inbounds on several critical plays, Alexander never go on track (hmmmmm...Alexander NOT playing big in a big game....a theme perhaps?), and Stevens was horrible.

Was the officiating bad, yes. But just the same, that is the nature of the game and ALL of you would take those breaks if they fell the Packers' way...so let's not be hypocritical here.

Alexander never got on track?
95 yard on 20 carries ain't all that bad.
He didn't rip off any big ones but I'll take that kind of production game in and game out.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From everything I heard going into the game, he was to be the focus of the offense...and that was not the case. Yes, decent day, but not what was needed or expected if the Seahawks were to win.

Basically, he had no "game changing" plays. Willie Parker did. I guess that is the better way to put it...Alexander had no "game changing" plays to speak of.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I don't feel quite as strongly about this as Pack does...but he's right...a lot of calls KILLED seattle's momentum...in a superbowl, you do not call a ticky tack push off like that....

Since when does the Super Bowl have different rules? That was a blatant push off - full arm extended - right in front of an official. Now I'll grant that the defender didn't exactly land on his back but neither was he able to make a play for the ball as he is allowed to do...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
musccy said:
I don't feel quite as strongly about this as Pack does...but he's right...a lot of calls KILLED seattle's momentum...in a superbowl, you do not call a ticky tack push off like that....

Since when does the Super Bowl have different rules? That was a blatant push off - full arm extended - right in front of an official. Now I'll grant that the defender didn't exactly land on his back but neither was he able to make a play for the ball as he is allowed to do...

Because in most games it is not called. That being said it was not the only bush league call made during the game. I think for the most part the steelers had a good game but it is a shame that when you get to this stage that refs make the biggest impact in the outcome. With bad calls or questionable ones. I am a firm believer in fulltime proffesional referees they have to have accountability as well.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, DBs around the league have been flagged for their pinky finger rubbing a WR when running side by side all year long. As the rule is written, pass interference, regardless of offensive/defensive, is being cracked down on. He did push off, and he did so right in front of the ref. To NOT make the call would be the problem under those circumstances. Smart players know you don't do that, or any ****, right in front of the ref...it is gonna be called.

The biggest mistake, IMHO, was the WR's lack of awareness as it pertains to the position of the ref and the view he had of the infraction.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
C'mon TT-romadz...

I DEFY you to name one bad call that went against Pittsburgh....

Just one bad call....what was it???

You can't.....because their wasn't one.....

there were some holding calls, and late hits not called on seattle. wow, that was pretty easy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right Trom......there were enough bad calls to go around. Great teams overcome a few bad calls. It's NOT like Seattle played great and got screwed........they played a LOUSY game. And it cost them. Bad throws, dropped balls, thats what cost them. They had PLENTY of chances. They did NOT capitalize on them. Can't blame the "zeebras" for that.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A post from the Steelers message board - I couldn't have said it better so I won't try. I know this is a Packers board and although I truly support them in every respect I was born a Steeler fan...

For every and any crybaby or excuse maker out there that doesn't want to give the Steelers their due respect for whatever reason, print this out and give it to them. There's no need to say anyhing ....

Super Bowl XL:

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did.
2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.
3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.
4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals, that was Seattle.
5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.
6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.
7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's offense.
8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pitt's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.
9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy Stevens.
10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG, in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

And for any 'hater' still feeling a little salty and reaching for excuses as to why the Steelers didn't deserve to win the Super Bowl ...

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.
12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.
13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.
14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.
15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch)
16. The Refs werent the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Pitt DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.
17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an int to...that again would go to Seattle.
18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often...that would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there wasn't any penalties ...One team made plays and one team didn't.

The end result was the final score, 21-10.

To every Steeler hater out there I say, 'Get over it,' and learn to accept losing with a little grace, humility, and dignity. Perhaps you'll earn yourself some respect in doing so ....

What the Steelers accomplished this year as a #6 seed on the verge of elimination is nothing short of miraculous. Think about it, it's NEVER been done before in NFL history and may never be done again. This team was matched against the very best that the league had to offer .... on the road no less ... and we beat them all! Sorry, but there is nothing empty, tarnished, or undeserving about that .....

With that said, Congratulations to the

World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Welcome Home Lombardi Trophy!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a good post Pack... I like it when people lay it out like that...

PackinSteel said:
Contradictory? :wtf: I may have missed the years that Lombardi was in the steel city...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:

PackinSteel said:
Contradictory? :wtf: I may have missed the years that Lombardi was in the steel city...

he's welcoming the trophy back...it hasn't visited for 25 years or so :lol:

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Ryan said:

PackinSteel said:

he's welcoming the trophy back...it hasn't visited for 25 years or so :lol:

Yep, I believe that was the point :wink: (26 yrs to be exact)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...the way some of you guys are *****ing, I'd have to say you must have had a little green on the game. Personally, I called Rick Tocchet and dropped a little on Pittsburg. I thought the officiating was great.

BTW.....IF Sherman would have coached the Hawks the way that Holmy did you guys wouldn't be ripping the refs. You'd be ripping the coach. That clock management by Seattle was pure genius. Something tells me that Mike Sherman had something to do with it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
C'mon..DePack..

We all know you have "abandonment issues" with Holmy ever since he left the Pack..

But I'm sure Holmgren called two plays and Hassleback foolishly audibled the second play and took about 19 secs. off the clock...

I put that one..and the other on Hasslebeck...

The Seahawks should have won that game..

But the refs handed it to the Pittsburgh Stealers...

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah well I know that was the early line and you do seem somewhat set in your ways - as more and more video evidence is coming to light the argument just doesn't hold water. I will grant that the Seahawks took themselves out of the game more than Pittsburgh put them out but Pittsburgh played well enough to win and DID WIN.

What's the line? Winners make plays (and Super Bowl parade plans), losers make excuses? Heck their QB only completed 9 passes (and 2 to the other team) and still won the game. He was over the goal line - plus it was 3rd down so you don't think he would have made it on 4th? Or they kick a FG and only win by 8 points or we give Seattle the TD that was called back and Pittsburgh still wins by 1!

The better team on Sunday won the game - despite not playing their "A" game. Nothing was handed to them.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
C'mon TT-romadz...

I DEFY you to name one bad call that went against Pittsburgh....

Just one bad call....what was it???

You can't.....because their wasn't one.....

Since when is winning a football game determined by how many "bad calls" go for or against you? There are bad calls in every game so it is up to champions to win the game in spite of 'em.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
C'mon..DePack..

We all know you have "abandonment issues" with Holmy ever since he left the Pack..

But I'm sure Holmgren called two plays and Hassleback foolishly audibled the second play and took about 19 secs. off the clock...

I put that one..and the other on Hasslebeck...

The Seahawks should have won that game..

But the refs handed it to the Pittsburgh Stealers...

C'mon 66, Holmy can do know wrong in your eyes....what's the saying when referring to Sherman...the buck stops here. Seattle wasn't ready to play that game. They were totally outcoached. You could see it in their eyes during pregame...deer in the headlights. There was no point in that game when I felt the outcome was in doubt. Seattle didn't compete.

And to hear Holmy complain about the officiating to the "crowd" in Seattle shows just what a classless clown he is. Same thing at halftime. Don't complain about calls as you are "running" off the field. Get your (to steal a line from P@ck66) ****** in the lockerroom and get your team ready.

It always comes back to bite you on the ***....right 66? Goes both ways!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is SO funny! You'd think it was a ONE point win, that the refs some how executed. The TD pass from Randle El, and the 75 yard TD run.........that was enough to win. Seattle played lousy, and they paid for it. Pittsburgh played lousy, but had a couple big plays and won. And Big Ben WAS blocked in the back on the one return of an interception, that was NOT called by the refs. (As Packinsteel noted) So, if the refs wanted Pittsburgh to win so bad, WHY didn't they call an OBVIOUS foul like that???
It's all sour grapes as i see it.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right Cheesy...I dont think Ben is a great QB its the people around him that make the plays to get it done...

Steelers are the Superbowl champs, and well deserved to...:)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup Heather!~ If Favre had the defense that Pittsburgh has, and the WR's, the Pack would have been alot better then 4-12 last year.
Ben is not a "great" QB yet, but he has just as many super bowl rings as FAVRE does now, and ONE more then the mighty Dan Marino ever got! So for a second year player, he's doing pretty darn good!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the worst "Super" Bowl ever.
Neither team deserved to win.
The officiating sucked.
The halftime "show" sucked.
I am of the thinking now that I will never bother to watch another "Super" Bowl again unless the Packers are in it, and I'm a football fanatic, just ask my wife if you don't believe me.
The only good thing about that game was that "The Bus" got his ring.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of enjoyed it! It's fun to see **** Jagger still strutting like a rooster........40 years later! Like he said.......they could have performed at Super Bowl ONE!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.....they ARE a LITTLE past their prime! :wink:
I got to see the Beach Boys during their 25th anniversary tour in 1986. Now THAT was fun! Of course, there are only a couple of them still alive now.

Members online

Latest posts