Honestly --Seriously ... could you root for an NFC North team in the playoffs?

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even during the regular season I pull for the Lions, pending what teams they're playing, if the Lions make the playoffs i'd pull for them out of pity. Teams I cheer against no matter, pats, saints, 9ers, seahwaks, broncos.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Rooting for another NFC North team would be like cheating on your wife with her ugly ****** adopted sister. It's just plain wrong.

Reaction score
I've hated Elway since the 97 season SB. Then the year after all those damn Coors commercials ... that gloating smug smile, ... I'd like to wipe the floor with his face.

NEVER liked him, either, NWCheeseHead. Sure didn't foresee us losing to Denver in the SB. Geeze! To this day, I would still have difficulty rooting for Denver in a SB. I guess it would depend on who they were playing, but Elway is still behind the curtain.

Reaction score
The Chargers were coming off a 2-14 season with Drew Brees in his second year as the starting QB was just farkin' awful. Eli Manning was long projected as the highest rated player in the draft. San Diego had 1st pick. The Manning patriarch... (former Saints QB Archie Manning who was handling negotiations)... indicated that little Eli had no interest in playing for a small market team... (for they had their eyes on lucrative endorsement deals). Peyton also made a few comments regarding the Chargers that were clumsy at best.

San Diego GM A.J. Smith... (who was kind of a tough bastage)... paid no heed and drafted Eli anyway. He was handed a jersey and a cap... (he put on the cap but screwed an expression on his face like he was balancing a turd on his head). The Giants drafted Philip Rivers with the fourth overall pick... (in what was assumed to be a pre-arranged deal). But soon a dispute erupted because SD wanted a 1st round pick in 2005 and NY said no. The NFL intervened to put an end to the fiasco by telling the Giants to give the Chargers the pick.

---
On a side note... John Elway (King Donk) was another 1st overall pick who refused to play for the team who drafted him. Some fans have a long memory. :D

I happen to live in a pro-Indy Colts area and although I'm obviously not a fan, I wasn't interested and didn't really keep informed about the situation of Elway refusing to play for the Colts back when he was selected in the draft, but I do recall that it naturally didn't win him "Man of the Year" award from the Colts fan perspective for which I agree. I'm no fan of someone who had such a huge ego that he thought he was far above playing for a "lesser" NFL team, but had yet to prove himself by taking one snap at the professional level. I realize it's a business, but to me, much like the Manning/San Diego snub, it's like a "spit in your face" disrespectful classless act. JMHO! However, being the mercenary that I am, I DID root for the Elway-led Broncos against Dallas in the SB's, so that tells you how much I loathe the so-called "America's Team."

And on that note, I will NOT root for the "other" three teams in our division.

If the Packers are not in the playoffs, I will root for these four teams ONLY representing the NFC:

Rams....Cards....Panthers....Bucs

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears or Vikings??? Of course not, never.

Lions? Well, it's hard to dislike a team that's almost always awful.....but rooting for them when I know they'll just be the Lions and screw up would be a waste of time.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love for the Packers to make the playoffs but should we not I'm hoping for about the 15-16th overall pick. The big question is would we go for the D or OL? I say both. Last time we had 2 picks in the first round we got Raji & Matthews. TT could trade back into the 1st rd to get a top 20 pick

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happen to live in a pro-Indy Colts area and although I'm obviously not a fan, I wasn't interested and didn't really keep informed about the situation of Elway refusing to play for the Colts back when he was selected in the draft, but I do recall that it naturally didn't win him "Man of the Year" award from the Colts fan perspective for which I agree. I'm no fan of someone who had such a huge ego that he thought he was far above playing for a "lesser" NFL team, but had yet to prove himself by taking one snap at the professional level. I realize it's a business, but to me, much like the Manning/San Diego snub, it's like a "spit in your face" disrespectful classless act. JMHO! However, being the mercenary that I am, I DID root for the Elway-led Broncos against Dallas in the SB's, so that tells you how much I loathe the so-called "America's Team."

And on that note, I will NOT root for the "other" three teams in our division.

If the Packers are not in the playoffs, I will root for these four teams ONLY representing the NFC:

Rams....Cards....Panthers....Bucs
It of those 4 the Cards & Panthers are the only 2 likely to make it. At least 1 of them should make it

Reaction score
It of those 4 the Cards & Panthers are the only 2 likely to make it. At least 1 of them should make it

Yeah, those teams I mentioned would be the 4 that I would root for in the playoffs in ANY year that we can't make it. I pretty much loathe the remaining 11. I have yet to find a reason to hate on the Bucs, Panthers, Rams and Cards.

Yeah, at least Arizona or Carolina could get in.

'Zona's schedule: home vs RAMS, 49'ERS....at EAGLES, TITANS, SEAHAWKS
Carolina: home vs BUCS, JETS, SAINTS.....at SAINTS, FALCONS

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, those teams I mentioned would be the 4 that I would root for in the playoffs in ANY year that we can't make it. I pretty much loathe the remaining 11. I have yet to find a reason to hate on the Bucs, Panthers, Rams and Cards.

Yeah, at least Arizona or Carolina could get in.

'Zona's schedule: home vs RAMS, 49'ERS....at EAGLES, TITANS, SEAHAWKS
Carolina: home vs BUCS, JETS, SAINTS.....at SAINTS, FALCONS
I wouldn't root for the a NFC north team if the Packers didn't make it. AFC I'd go for Colts or Denver. NFC I'd undecided on who I'd root for

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a fan of the game and love to see individuals that I have followed, some since high school, play good. Not a single team I hate or wont root for. I'll root for the team who has the most players I like in any given game. I have a closet full of jerseys littered in different teams. I even have a green bay jersey...Charles Woodson of course, I mean come on, im naturally a Michigan man. I grew out of that style, but when I did wear jerseys I told people the hat that wear is the team that I like, the jerseys I wear are players I like.

Back in 2010 the Steelers had more players that I liked, but Woodson tipped the scale so I was rooting for GB.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm okay with rooting for any NFC team that isn't a favorite outside of the NFC North. I will not root for any NFCN team.

As far as favorites go, I will NOT root for the Seahawks. It's not even because of the Fail Mary; it's because they are too good for their own good--at every position. And it's not fair.

Actually, the Saints are okay in my book; quite a fan of Drew Brees and the way he conducts himself.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Now if weeds would have just asked if we could root for a division team “honestly” or if he’d have just asked “seriously”, I would probably lie or not take the question seriously. But since he included both words…

I wouldn’t root for any division opponent in the playoffs and I don’t think it’s a childish position or lacks sportsmanship. What allegiance do we owe them? No way I could root for the Vikings or Bears and if not for their HC and the dirty play of their team, I might consider rooting for the Lions. But not as long as their HC is in place.

I needed to pin you down, Jack. You tend to waffle. ;) Was going throw in a "really and truly" as well but thought that might be a little melodramatic, so i opted out of that one. Nah...you don't waffle...you're probably the most consistent poster here.

Ok, how about this one ... I would end up pulling against the team that I dislike the most. For instance...in my sad and cloistered little world, nothing bad enough can happen to this version of the Seahawks or 49'ers. The Bears? That goes without saying although I don't mind the players as much as I despise the majority of their fans.

For me to root for a North Division team, I would first have to be able to shove a baby grand piano up my **********.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a fan of the game and love to see individuals that I have followed, some since high school, play good. Not a single team I hate or wont root for. I'll root for the team who has the most players I like in any given game. I have a closet full of jerseys littered in different teams. I even have a green bay jersey...Charles Woodson of course, I mean come on, im naturally a Michigan man. I grew out of that style, but when I did wear jerseys I told people the hat that wear is the team that I like, the jerseys I wear are players I like.

Back in 2010 the Steelers had more players that I liked, but Woodson tipped the scale so I was rooting for GB.
it would be tough to root for an NFC north team but I would depending on who they were playing

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except when they play the Packers, I have nothing against the Lions. I've always found them to be the most un-hateable team. I don't care for Schwartz too much. He's no Wayne Fontes, I'll say that. But if the Lions are in the playoffs, I hope they win. The Bears and Vikings - never. Although the Bears losing today totally made my day!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my earlier post I wrote that I could cheer on the Bears.
But you know what I just realized?
Those &^%@#∑†¥¨ˆø©…ææ took out Air-Run.
They ruined our season. Now I wanna see their season ruined too.
Screw 'em.

Reaction score
I wouldn't root for the a NFC north team if the Packers didn't make it. AFC I'd go for Colts or Denver. NFC I'd undecided on who I'd root for

On the AFC side of the coin, I agree with your choices of Denver and Indy. I'm just a "green and yellow" speck on about a 99.99% "Colts" fan radar screen where I live and although most of those die-hards are pretty good dudes, there are some obnoxious morons who I've encountered in sports bars, but every fan base has their share of those, so that wouldn't steer me away from rooting for Indy from the AFC in the playoffs. But Irsay might! Denver still has Elway as the man behind the curtain who I just do not like, but I am enjoying PM coming back from the injury and having another great year. "THAT" Manning.....I like!

So, if we don't get in, from the AFC, in addition to Denver and Indy, I would root for Cincy and KC. I would also root for Cleveland and Buffalo, but they're both "done~ski."

Reaction score
Except when they play the Packers, I have nothing against the Lions. I've always found them to be the most un-hateable team. I don't care for Schwartz too much. He's no Wayne Fontes, I'll say that. But if the Lions are in the playoffs, I hope they win. The Bears and Vikings - never. Although the Bears losing today totally made my day!

Maybe it's the spirit of the Holiday Season, PFL, but you hit a nerve, causing me to "alter" my earlier selection of teams to cheer for from the NFC. I sure don't care for Schwartz nor Suh's antics and style of play, but I agree that up until the recent "Suh" attack(s), I've never had reason to hate on the Lions, either. They've never been that much of a threat in our division, although they have become a big one now.

It may be just a one time only decision with me, we'll see, but "Merry Christmas," Lions......from a "waffler." If we don't make it in this year, again, depending on WHO they play, I will add the Lions to the list of Carolina and Arizona (doesn't look good for the Cards right now) as the teams I will root for from the NFC. After all, the Lions DID beat the Bears twice this year and that's always good.

But under NO circumstances will I change my feelings about the Bears and Vikings (and I don't even have to tolerate obnoxious Viking fans as Wisconsin folks do.....I've probably only seen a dozen at the most, people wearing Vikings gear in my area over the years and they may have been just passing through town for all I know).

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the AFC side of the coin, I agree with your choices of Denver and Indy. I'm just a "green and yellow" speck on about a 99.99% "Colts" fan radar screen where I live and although most of those die-hards are pretty good dudes, there are some obnoxious morons who I've encountered in sports bars, but every fan base has their share of those, so that wouldn't steer me away from rooting for Indy from the AFC in the playoffs. But Irsay might! Denver still has Elway as the man behind the curtain who I just do not like, but I am enjoying PM coming back from the injury and having another great year. "THAT" Manning.....I like!

So, if we don't get in, from the AFC, in addition to Denver and Indy, I would root for Cincy and KC. I would also root for Cleveland and Buffalo, but they're both "done~ski."
saw an article where if the Packers org believes we're out of the playoffs as I believe we are. Packers will hold Rodgers out for the season so IMO we'll get really close to a top 10 pick. We better make it a good one & also IMO they've already got their eyes on a couple guys as this is another reason they're doing this

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd way rather see the Lions in the Super Bowl than the Seahawks. But no way could I ever cheer for the Vikings or Bears in the playoffs under any circumstances.

Reaction score
saw an article where if the Packers org believes we're out of the playoffs as I believe we are. Packers will hold Rodgers out for the season so IMO we'll get really close to a top 10 pick. We better make it a good one & also IMO they've already got their eyes on a couple guys as this is another reason they're doing this

At this juncture with just 4 games left, we obviously would have to win out (includes a win vs the Bears) and would need Detroit to stumble twice if my math is correct. The Lions, with Schwartz? Very capable of abiliging us. But I agree with you, I think it may be quite a reach. We had our chances using Wallace for the remainder of the Bear game and what....one series vs Philly? Then came Tolzein and Flynn and we've yet to get a win. Add to the mix a horrible D = a season full of Bad Karma.

Hearing conflicting reports on Rodgers status for this week. Read last night on the "Aaron Rodgers Update" thread a link where he says he will be ready to go vs Atlanta. Then today, I hear a different version:confused: Crazy! He wants to get out there, no doubt, so I have no clue as to which direction the top brass will go with this. If he doesn't play the remainder of the season and with the way this D is playing, we will surely end up with a 5-10-1 record and a very decent draft pick. That much is guarenteed.....I agree!

Members online

Latest posts