1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Holmgren

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by packer4ever, Dec 7, 2004.

1. packer4ever

packer4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there anybody besides me that would like to see Big Mike come back to Green Bay
  2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You know I was thining about that the other day. What if he did come back? Would it be good? I don't know if he has the respect of the players anymore like he used to. They were even just talking about that on SC. And remember the reason he left, $ and power. Those were good years, but I don't know what it would be like if he returned.
  3. Bettie_Page

Bettie_Page Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Big Mike will probably go to the Bay Area where he is from and fix the 49ers..

I'd push for a board position for Ron Wolf and promote Reggie McKenzie
    and hire Brad Childress from the Philadelphia Eagles as coach.
  4. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58 / 12 / -7
    Get Real!

Bring Holmgren back? No way. The guy insulted the Packers and indeed the whole state of Wisconsin. He's a west coast kind of guy, and I say that in the worst possible way. He was way overrated as the Packer coach, and he has proven that in Seattle.

A lot of ignorant people just seem obcessed with their Sherman bashing. Well, Sherman has been and is a better coach than Holmgren. Holmgren did win the Super Bowl, for which I am grateful (but not half as much as I am thankful for the players from Brett Favre on down who actually were responsible). But Sherman has done more with less, and IMO will win the big one before long too.
  5. Brad

Brad Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree that we should keep Sherman...he has had some questionable coaching but who doesn't? He hasn't fallen apart and i honestly see no reason to get rid of him as of yet....I would assume that since Holmgren left here in such a storm that he wouldn't be returning and would most likely be going to fix the 49ers....They are in dire need of serious help over there and I think Holmgren may be a good fit....He helps players take on a "team" role that is vitally necessary for the West Coast Offense to be successful....Dink and Dunk, then go Deep...I think he would be a good fit there
  6. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let Holmgren go to the Whiners where he belongs.

Holmgren might be the world's most over-rated coach. I agree with texasbacker. He not only traitored up on us, he stole half the front office when he left. It looked like he really wanted to hurt the Packers. I do not want to see this team turned into a finesse team again with 4-yard pases instaed of a solid run game and we'll do just fine if Sherman can find someone to coach this defense. (Not Ray Rhodes.)
  7. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Replacing Harlan

Harlan is retiring soon. it would be great if we start a move for Pat Richter to take over as president of the club.
  8. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cliff raises some good questions about the defense

We should remember that this defense was having trouble way before Slowik. (Not that Slowik is the answer):

Sherman must answer for offensive defense
    Posted: Dec. 8, 2004

Cliff Christl
    E-MAIL | ARCHIVE

Green Bay - Fool
  9. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want Sherman back. Holmgren is a bush league A-hole who is not welcome at 1265 Lombardi Ave.
  10. packer4ever

packer4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How can you say Holmgren insulted the packers I think it is the other way around. He took us to back to back super bowls and then asked to be the GM and the packers said no so he left. Then what do we do, we bring in Sherman from Holmgrens coaching staff and let him be the GM. They should have given Holmgren what he wanted. As for stealing the coaching staff he had every right to take them with him he brought them to Green Bay. If you think Mike Sherman is a better fit than Holmgren you need to wake and smell the frozen tundra. Talk to me after Sherman wins 2 consecutive playoff games.
  11. acw

acw Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Before anybody talks about bringing the walrus back, check out the Seattle Times Seahawk forum. The biggest topics are

HOLMGREN MUST GO
    and
    HOLMGREN DEFENDERS... ON YOUR KNEES RIGHT NOW AND APOLOGIZE

The forum is filled with letters from people who would hang Holmy from the nearest goalpost if given the chance.

The guy was not only coach, GM, and president of the team, he had the bottomless pocket of Paul Allen to buy any assistants he wanted. And what has he done: lets see, the Seachickens were a 8-8 team when he took over and what's their record now... oh ya 6-6, looking at 7-9 this year.

Sure he took us to two Superbowls, but even Dan Devine could have with the players and assistants Holmy had.

If that miserable excuse for a coach comes back to Green Bay I will become a Seahawk fan until he leaves.

Later
    Art
  12. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sherman with one year left on his contract, will coach the packers next year. I don't see the packers giving up that money to him. As far as gm i don't see him in that role next year. Who do you think would make a real change in the packers in this role?
  13. acw

acw Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with gravedigger, lets give Pat Richter a chance. Of course I could be prejudice - he was my boss until he retired last year.
  14. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

ouch...
  15. v00d00

v00d00 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only people that seem to actually think that Holmgren would be able to come back to Green Bay are the "homers". Note to the homers:
    Holmgren is gone. That era is over. We've gone past those days.

I did a little bit of research, and I thought getting a guy like Tom Modrak, Assistant General Manager of the Buffalo Bills, would be a great person to have take over at GM, but I would be hesistant to see anyone come in and GM under Sherman as President of the Packers. I say strip him down to a head-coach only, and let someone else get the personnel and staff. Sherman, IMHO, hasn't been up to par in either of these areas.

Here's Tom Modrak's resume:

28th Year in NFL/4th with Bills

Joined the Bills organization on June 5, 2001 when he was named Director of Football Operations...was promoted to Assistant General Manager on June 11, 2002
  16. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats the kind of person the pack is looking for . A proven winner in the draft and in life. This man would come for alot less money than sitting general managers and without a bigger than life EGO. Also he would work twice as hard to show you that his promotion was due. :D
  17. smashmouth

smashmouth Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about Ron Wolf as packer president and he acn over see the operation with more knowledge than Harlan had.
    Sherman can be coach but let someone else handle the administartive duties....

M. Hatley god, rest his soul, was in all actuality our GM, He was our salary cap guru, he knew talent and handled all of that stuff for Shermm......

Smash
  18. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Holmgren left the packers, the fans and his players. Don't need him. Find a coordinator in the NFL to be coach. My thoughts.
  19. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think ron wolf wouldn't come back to the packers. He seams more than content having people beg for his advice after the last time he was here.
  20. v00d00

v00d00 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As much as I hate to see someone who left come back, I think Ron Wolf would be a hell of alot better choice for President of the organization versus Sherman. I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure he was an personnel advisor over in Cleveland after he left here....but don't qoute me on it.

I guess with Mr.Wolf, the question would have to be, is his heart still in it? I was under the impression that it wasn't as soon as he beat feet out of Green Bay.

:?:
  21. fondypackfan

fondypackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Ron Wolf came back briefly as an advisor to the Browns but Butch Davis decided he didn't need Ron's advice. One of the many reason's Davis is now unemployed.
  22. King Kamali

King Kamali Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In 1992 when Wolf/Homgren made their appearance in Green Bay we saw steady improvement each year until the Packers won the "Super Bowl" in 5 years in 1996.
    We are not seeing this with Mike Sherman. This is Sherman's 5th season and the Packers defense is one of the worst in the NFL. Time is running out on the offense.

Bottom line: Sherman is in desperate need of help. Sherman was hired by the Packers with no NFL HC, OC or DC experience.

It is time for the Packer organization to own up and to correct their mistake.
  23. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    carmen policy? hahaha...

:roll:
  24. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I've heard the McKenzie suggestion elsewhere, too! Might work.
    Childress, tho' -- hmmmm - not so sure with that one - look at the Fleagles and their successes in the playoffs.... Reid's been there how long and still no trip to the SB?
    I was totally surprised that not more than a year or so since Mikey left - they go and do exactly what Holmgren wanted all along - simply the dumbest thing to ever do.. Why waste eveyone's time like that(?) They could have just given Holmgren the reins, kept everything in place and been done with it. Think about it - No Ray Rhodes, no Mike McKenzie nonsense.... Course, then, we probably would have never seen Ahman Green, either! Mikey didn't let him play at all, in Seattle. He had Sean Alexander. Still, King's comment about the Packers steadily improving each year under the Wolf/Holmgren Team has merit. I really think Holmgren was the right Coach at the right time for a guy like Brett Favre - anyone else would have failed the task and Brett would be somewhere else still being a 3xMVP.
    Hard call on this one - I think "that one" is up to Bob Harlan. I hadn't heard that Bob wanted to step down.... just yet.... Losing Hatley was just plain HUGE. Seeing Ron Wolf as the President of the Packers would be awesome, but he would be limited with access around the position of getting players for the Team wouldn't he? Isn't there some inherent conflict there?
    Modrak? Hadn't considered him... 'course, he's not the only Assistant we should look at.
    Interesting thoughts about Pat.... and what type of work were you doing for Mr. Richter?
    ======================================
    If Sherman doesn't want the Coaching job, then I'd look for a real mean tempered Coach who'll knock some heads and make men outta those youngsters we have now....
  25. acw

acw Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Database programming. He wasn't my direct boss, there was a few layers between him and myself.