Holmgren is let go from the Browns

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8511711/mike-holmgren-cleveland-browns-sale-official-sources-say

New Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, whose takeover of the team was officially approved Tuesday, named Joe Banner the team's CEO/president and announced that current president Mike Holmgren will retire at the end of the season.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No one suggest he come here.....

With him in charge he hasnt proven he can do to much..

As a coach, fantastic....Just not good in charge IMO

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood why he went from SB and playoff contender to a losing team.
Do some coaches take the job of a cellar team because they are egotistical thinking they can turn a loser into a winner?
Holmgren did the opposite of what all those motivational speakers tell you to do;
Going from being a winner to a loser.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns are the Cubs of the NFL.
I wonder how much they cost?
I'm guessing something like this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took the job for the same reason anyone would.....money $$$$ money $$$$ money.
OK
But why?
He was coaching Seattle.
Didn't they get to a playoff game or two?
Seems like job security.
Why leave?
Was the Browns the only team that had an opening for what Holmgren wanted?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I d't know his entire story, but it seems like the job in GreenBay made him some type of coaching legend in other teams eyes. Other teams didn't have the tools he had to work with when he was in GB. The browns are just a draft nightmare, turd ball team, I doubt Tony dungy could help them. I don't dislike holmgren, he was there for us.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People used to say it was all Holmgren that got Seattle to the SB....Even tho TT had his hand in ton of the players..

Since TT has left how many playoff games have they been too?

How many playoff games have Seahawks, and Browns been to since Mike was in charge?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can fix the Browns. They've been the in the basement of league since I've been around except for 2007 when they won 10 games.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Maybe they can convince Lucy to coach them!!!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can fix the Browns. They've been the in the basement of league since I've been around except for 2007 when they won 10 games.
I've been around since 1966.
They have won 8 championsips.
Last one was 2 years before I arrived on the scene. 1964.

http://nfl-franchises.findthedata.o...ps-has-the-Cleveland-Browns-football-team-won

They are just so darn bad that I can't help but feel bad for them.
Saying they suck is just too harsh and too obvious.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, remember the Old, Winning Browns (TM) are now the Ravens and they did win a Super Bowl. The current Browns have been terrible pretty much since day one.

Why? Partially bad luck. The times when they've had really high picks, those players have busted. Over and over again.

Second, and this is why I can't understand a transition at President, is the constant churn. Staffs come and go and do quickly. Schemes go with them, and then the new management wants their guys on the field. Current guys get released for not fitting or because they didn't draft them, and then the whole thing repeats.

H

HardRightEdge

It's pretty simple. Holmgren wanted complete control of the football operation. The Packers wouldn't give it to him.

Seattle gave him an 8 year contract as Executive VP, General Manager and Head Coach. So, yeah, it was ego and money. Getting away from Favre might have been a factor in the decision to some degree, which would have further played into the ego thing. After 4 years in Seattle he was relieved of the GM responsibilities.

He won 5 division titles, a wild card and a SB berth in 9 seasons in Seattle...not too shabby.

Cleveland got a new owner this past offseason, and rumors immediately circulated that Holmgren's on the bubble. Hiring Pat Shurmer and drafting McCoy and Weeden certainly didn't make for much of a track record. His rep as a guy with an eye for QB talent took a big hit. The Weeden pick had the smell of desperation...win right now or go home seemed to be the rationale.

He's 64 years old. His track record as a front office guy is not good. He's a bit old to go back to coaching. Maybe a consulting gig is in the cards, otherwise he might be done.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Holmgren = pretty good
GM Holmgren = pretty bad

You can call it ego, but most coaches would probably like to select their own players - especially if it wasn't much more work. The problem is that they are both full time jobs and a half. I don't mind that Holmgren or any other coach desires to wear both hats, but it's extremely difficult to do correctly. A smart coach pairs himself with a good GM espousing similar personnel values and is content with those complimentary roles.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Do some coaches take the job of a cellar team because they are egotistical thinking they can turn a loser into a winner?
Holmgren did the opposite of what all those motivational speakers tell you to do;
Going from being a winner to a loser.

Whatever his motivation was ... there was a precedent ... he came from San Francisco to Green Bay.

I don't know that that is egotistical. That is what competitors do -- and the money didn't hurt neither. If I were a betting man, I'd say that it did indeed enter his mind that he could carve his name into the history books by turning the Packers around...there was precedent there too ... Vince Lombardi. Ron Wolf referred to Holmgren as "the girl with the curl" in his book, The Packer Way ... EVERY team in the market for head coach had Holmgren on the top of their wish list. I'd venture a guess that Wolf laid the same line on Holmgren that the two of them laid on Reggie White; and I paraphrase: "You'll be well regarded if you win somewhere else. HERE, you'll be a LEGEND."

It took me a long time to forget Super Bowl 32 ... Seattle was already tampering with him prior to that Super Bowl...and I couldn't help but think that Holmgren was already checking out NorthWest real estate prices until the Pack blocked his exit for the '98 season. I just felt at the time that it was out of character for him.

Reaction score
The 'new' Browns first draft pick, Tim Couch played for the Packers for like 8 seconds a few years back remember that?

I loss all respect for Holmgren after that famous GB-SF playoff game where TO caught the touchdown pass right after Jerry Rice fumbled the ball. He didn't even leave SF with the team after that. He already knew he was out.

L

Lunchboxer

The 'new' Browns first draft pick, Tim Couch played for the Packers for like 8 seconds a few years back remember that?

I loss all respect for Holmgren after that famous GB-SF playoff game where TO caught the touchdown pass right after Jerry Rice fumbled the ball. He didn't even leave SF with the team after that. He already knew he was out.

I remember that. Tim Couch he sucked.

Members online

Latest posts