1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hey Ted......do this

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Beab66, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Beab66

Beab66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the website Southendzone.com I pulled this draft info. (they have all the picks from 1936 to present)

1995 round pick name
    1. 35 Craig Newsome
    2. 65 Darius Holland
    3. 66 William Henderson
    3. 73 Brian Williams
    3. 90 Antonio Freeman
    7. 230 Adam Timmerman
    Trading down isn't such a bad idea if we can land value like this in the middle rounds. Then again, we could get (shudder) this:

round pick name 2001
    1. 10 Reynolds
    2. 41 Ferguson
    3. 71 Jue
    3. 72 Marshall
    4 105 Ferrario
    6 198 D. Martin

We may be only a year away from respectibility, but lets hope Ted either is good or gets lucky and finds 1995 instead of 2001.
  2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I don't care if its early, middle or late I just want talent lol
  3. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whatever happened to Craig Newsome anyway? I thought he was awesome. I used to call him Gruesome Newsome.
  4. ChuckSTG

ChuckSTG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True that, I loved newsome. I think he had some kind of bad injury. That 2001 draft was conducted my the shermanator...enough said.
  5. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was actually Wolf's last draft. Nice try though.
  6. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45 / 19 / -0
    Ya, lay that egg in Wolf's nest. Newsome got into some trouble with the law, as I remember.

Regarding trading down: There's a fine line between a bust and savior in the top part of the first round.

The agents(and fans) have hyped the draft to the point that these college kids are demanding more than the risk is worth.

I would trade out of the first round every year to pick up two players later. Your chances of getting good players are better than a hit or miss on a great player.

Much of it also is the team the player lands with. You will notice some of the busts rehab their careers with other teams that are built more toward the skills of that player.

As an exercise sometime, go down the rosters of any NFL club. You will find that the teams are mainly players from rounds 2-6 and free agents. Numerically, of course you have a higher probability with more rounds, but you would think the "can't misses' in the first round would be around. They often aren't, or they are backups somewhere else.
  7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    He got hurt, then cut/traded or something. Landed in SF and got busted for possesion of weed and I hadn't heard much about him since. He was one of my more favorite players for a few years. Well, a year or two lol
  8. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree, here --- I have one of those Packer audio tapes of all the great moments, and Craig has a highlight in there - mixed in with a bunch of pretty good songs, even if I say so myself.

ANY CLUB.... has the same issue and the same type of fans... pointing out exactly the same problem(s)....