He's Baaa-aaack...

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are barely an hour into TC but he is already making plays. Who am I speaking of? Mr. Casey Hayward, that's who! I honestly think his importance to this defensive unit can't be overstated. The ability to have a guy with 29's skill-set work the nickel allows DC added flexibility to bring pressure from multiple angles without compromising coverage. Take the two highlighted plays Casey has made today. One on the TE Bostick and the other a deep shot to the rook WR Adams. I am at work (as always) following the live blog updates and when I heard the above I couldn't help but yell "HELL YEAH!" With the current offense friendly rules you have to have CB's that use their smarts to play proper angles and leverage because more times than not physical play will draw some laundry. I know there are some exceptions to this rule i.e. the Seahawks but I think the league will keep a close eye on them more this year. Casey is a film junkie and a true student of the game. He also seems to possess this knack for being in the right place at the right time. This kid is a game changer. If Tramon can keep his level of play where it was during last years stretch run and Sam takes the "next step" this secondary can be a handful for many a QB this year. I fully expect the Safety play to be much improved this year and we all know that a above average pass rush can transform a secondary from decent to smothering. I am in no way proclaiming that this years defense will be the next Steel Curtain but I do think the players are in place to take a more than respectable jump into the top 10 range. I hope and pray Casey can stay healthy this season and show the league that his rookie season wasn't a joke, rather a brief sampling of the greatness to come...Let's get it and as always GPG!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I honestly think his importance to this defensive unit can't be overstated.
With Casey Hayward healthy the Packers will win the Super Bowl every year, year after year. If Hayward is out for more than one-half of the season, the Packers have no chance whatever and should tank the season for a better draft pick.
:D

Just kidding of course, I'm glad to see Hayward returning to his rookie season form.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only question about Casey is, can he man up as a number 1 or number 2 CB? Say he has another 6+ interception season from the nickleback, come contract time he could command starting CB money and if we are going to pay him that money, he is going to have to be starter...

Members online

Latest posts