Here's Your Sign Week 3- Studs and Duds

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 passes knocked down at the LOS; 4 sacks; 8 hits on Rogers. Still, we win if we don't give the ball away 4 times. Funny how it's all on Rogers for not winning tight games.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game was there to be had alas mental mistakes and lapses in judgment by MM and Aaron Rodgers felled what could have been a signature victory early in the season.

Lots of individually good performances today in a heart wrenching loss.

Studs

Franklin- Starks was good but Franklin was scintilating. He looked like Barry Sanders lite out there.

Nelson - Hands are like glue

Brad Jones

Clay Matthews

Mike Daniels

NEAR STUDS

Sam Shields - one big TD he gave up otherwise stellar play

Offensive Line [ run blocking ] They were doing great until MM called that stupid 4th down play and once again showed their fatal flaw

Mason Crosby - Could have been a stud Mason had MM let you kick an almost 50 yard field ago and make it

DUDS

Rodgers
Mike McCarthy
Tramon Williams
Jeremy Ross
EDS
Team Physician, Strength Coordinator, Training Staff, etc. --- BOOOOOOOOO!!

No moral victories here. A loss is a loss. A difficult schedule awaits. A sad stat from the day is the Packers offense had the ball inside the Bengals 35 seven times but only netted 9 points out of these drives. FAIL!

Tough to watch this one...Ross needs to go. Not sure what they see in him and maybe he does have blazing speed but you have to be smarter than the football itself to be effective. He almost muffed the one kickoff that luckily went out of bounds. MM called an awful game...Oline is horrible...and lastly how many hamstrings need to be pulled before the strength and conditioning coaches make some changes?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 passes knocked down at the LOS; 4 sacks; 8 hits on Rogers. Still, we win if we don't give the ball away 4 times. Funny how it's all on Rogers for not winning tight games.

If he's going to get most of the credit for the wins, he's going to share much of the responsibility for the losses. Rodgers was pressured on 28% of his dropbacks which sounds high but was actually the fifth lowest percent out of the 18 quareterbacks PFF has evaluated from week 3. This while facing what is the best defensive line in the NFL. For reference, Kaepernick was pressured on 28.6% of his dropbacks and his offensive line is much better. So, not real sure that pressure is what caused Rodgers' poor game. If you remove dropped passes, batted balls and passes just thrown away, Rodgers was only the 11th most accurate QB out of the 18 evaluated from week 3. As great as he is, he does deserve some of the blame for this loss.

Also, we should add Matthews' hamstrings to the duds list.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was pressured on 28% of his dropbacks which sounds high but was actually the fifth lowest percent out of the 18 quareterbacks PFF has evaluated from week 3. This while facing what is the best defensive line in the NFL. For reference, Kaepernick was pressured on 28.6% of his dropbacks and his offensive line is much better.

True. However there are two remarks that can be made:

First: Keep in mind that Keapernick used 3.18 seconds (14th) to throw an Rodgers 2.66 (9th) seconds. So obviously Keapernick will be pressured more often. But compared to other similar QB's the Green Bay line as a whole actually did a good job in pass protection.

Second: Green Bay may not have given up much pressure, but Cincy didn't blitz much, used their guys in coverage and still got pressure.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to get most of the credit for the wins, he's going to share much of the responsibility for the losses. Rodgers was pressured on 28% of his dropbacks which sounds high but was actually the fifth lowest percent out of the 18 quareterbacks PFF has evaluated from week 3. This while facing what is the best defensive line in the NFL. For reference, Kaepernick was pressured on 28.6% of his dropbacks and his offensive line is much better. So, not real sure that pressure is what caused Rodgers' poor game. If you remove dropped passes, batted balls and passes just thrown away, Rodgers was only the 11th most accurate QB out of the 18 evaluated from week 3. As great as he is, he does deserve some of the blame for this loss.

Also, we should add Matthews' hamstrings to the duds list.
I was referring to the inability for Rogers to win close games that PFF and others are now bringing up. Seems to me that in many of those losses Rogers had led drives to take the lead, only to have the defense lose it. Rogers had an uncharacteristically bad game yesterday, I'll agree. Much of it due to the poor protection.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won the last Championship primarily because Rogers played unbelievably through the playoffs. I guess the bottom line with this team will be the need for him to do the same week after week.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won the last Championship primarily because Rogers played unbelievably through the playoffs. I guess the bottom line with this team will be the need for him to do the same week after week.

If Rodgers plays an average game yesterday, GB almost certainly wins it. Even when he wasn't pressured he was missing throws he'd ordinarily make.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And all of the players you mentioned combined dont make as much as Rodgers... There is a reason he gets paid as much as he does. He missed open passes throughout the game, had one of the dumbest interceptions I have ever seen him throw, and is starting to act like a baby whenever anyone besides himself makes a mistake. Man up already Rodgers. His 35 mil + this year needs to preform better. Period.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to the inability for Rogers to win close games that PFF and others are now bringing up. Seems to me that in many of those losses Rogers had led drives to take the lead, only to have the defense lose it. Rogers had an uncharacteristically bad game yesterday, I'll agree. Much of it due to the poor protection.

That's where I disagree. The protection yesterday was actually pretty good. Keeping in mind that the Bengals have what is probably the best defensive line in the NFL. Carlos Dunlap was rendered virtually non-existent as a pass rusher, as was Geno Atkins. Bahktiari has major problems with Johnson but that's to be expected when a late-round rookie is going up against a guy that's playing as well as anyone in the NFL at his position right now. For whatever reason Rodgers was just off. He's played much better games when given far less protection. He seemed to be pressing almost the entire game, going for the home run rather than just trying to get on base, if you'll pardon me mixing sports sayings.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And all of the players you mentioned combined dont make as much as Rodgers... There is a reason he gets paid as much as he does. He missed open passes throughout the game, had one of the dumbest interceptions I have ever seen him throw, and is starting to act like a baby whenever anyone besides himself makes a mistake. Man up already Rodgers. His 35 mil + this year needs to preform better. Period.
On that dumb interception I did a double take to see if his number was 4.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wasn't all on him, Cobb needs to tackle Newman before he even gets a chance to get the ball.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not....

But its not the wide receivers fault, top notch NFL quarterbacks shouldn't be throwing into coverage with a lead... End of story.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the Defense this game would have been a blow out MM get a O cordinator His 4th down lack of confidence calls r nothing short of pitiful, 4th and inches FG 4th and 6 go for it /I'll get criticized but 0ver 1500lbs of line should be able to get a first down let alone a TD..

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Hawk used to struggle slipping through blockers and making plays on the ball carrier but since the start of 2012 he's been very good in that area. I like him and I think he does a good job leading the Defense out there. He's steady he's professional and he always keeps his cool no matter what. I think we win that game yesterday by two scores if Matthews doesn't get hurt.
I use to be down on him about his play but he Man Studded Up so far I wish the D'line would drink some beast juice

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not....

But its not the wide receivers fault, top notch NFL quarterbacks shouldn't be throwing into coverage with a lead... End of story.

It wasn't sarcasm, top receivers need to know when to turn into defenders even if that means tackling the guy in mid air and drawing the offensive pass interference penalty.

Edit: I change my mind, veteran receivers need to know when to turn into defenders, a penalty is almost always better than a pick. I would have liked to have seen Cobb recognize the ball's trajectory, Newman's position and then drape his arms over Newman's shoulders and force his arms down to around his waste. Flags would have flown, GB keeps the ball.

Last edited:

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the dust-up between MM and AR began with AR questioning the play calling on the goal line, I'm positive MM's reply was:

"Aaron, quit being a dumb-*** and just get rid of the damn ball! Jesus C! We can't afford to have you running and diving head first! If you get a god-d___ concussion or pull a hammy, all I have left is freaking Seneca to put in the game! Now **** and take a seat on the bench!!" :)

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sunshine: "The protection yesterday was actually pretty good."

The protection Sunday was as good as it usually is, about par with a line that ranks 23rd in pass protection(according to PFF). If Rogers cant' make plays with his feet, his ranking would be down with them. Rogers had a bad game Sunday, which contributed to the loss. It appears we have a team where the QB has to play perfect football in order for us to win. Not good.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

The protection Sunday was as good as it usually is, about par with a line that ranks 23rd in pass protection(according to PFF). If Rogers cant' make plays with his feet, his ranking would be down with them. Rogers had a bad game Sunday, which contributed to the loss. It appears we have a team where the QB has to play perfect football in order for us to win. Not good.

Even if he does have a great game, that still does not lock down a win with the way the defense has been stinking it up in that soft zone crap. If they were to get rough and play some man to man, rough up the WR off the line type coverage we would be better off. Our defense is sad when the opposing team starts their hurry up offense or two minute type offense. That rush 3 prevent crap NEVER works for us. Then everything will come to rest on the shoulders of #12

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We had 6.0 yard per rush... 180 yards rushing, and 1 fumble. Which could be argued was a result of Rodgers poor decision making on 2nd down that even lead to them having to go for 4th down. Rodgers on the other hand was 26 of 43 averaging 5 yards per pass, and 2 ints. Took 4 sacks, at least 2 of which were his fault (I didnt watch the other two again) with outlet receivers open right in front of him.

It could easily be argued Rodgers was the biggest reason for the loss. People can ride Aikman's analysis and blame Jones all they want on the first INT, but that pass should have never been thrown. PERIOD. Both linebackers rotated that direction, and it was well covered. To add insult to it, Cobb was open on the crossing pattern for a big gain because of the linebacker rotation. Rodgers locked in threw without seeing the whole field. The best result of him throwing it to JJ would have been an incomplete and a 4th down punt.

The interception to Hall was just mind-blowingly dumb on first down with a lead. Not one but two receiver open right in front of him.

And still after all of that... they gave the highest paid QB in the NFL a chance... everyone wants to look at the batted passes on third and fourth down. What about first down on the Cincy 20 when Rodgers threw to JJ in the endzone in double coverage? All while Cobb was WIDE OPEN on an out-route. Hit Cobb in stride on that play and it could have been game over, if not first and goal and the clock stopped.

All Rodgers had to do was not lose the game. He made mistake after mistake early in the game resulting in FGs instead of touchdowns. It wasnt until McCarthy let the running game lose that the Packers looked to have an offense again.

If you ask me the defense did its job, the running game was way more than sufficient... Offensive line was serviceable in the pass and above average in the run. It was the highest paid player on the team who made the most individual mistakes.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally, finally agree with Bus Cook on something. We don't need to argue about what the linchpin of failure was on Sunday. Just about every position group sucked for Green Bay and therefore we lost

Members online

Latest posts