1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Here's what will happen in the draft. Guaranteed.

Discussion in '2011 Draft Archive' started by Forget Favre, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,303 / 51 / -15
    Here's what will happen:
    Packers fans with endless speculation on who will be picked.
    TT makes a surprise pick that doesn't make any sense.
    Everyone will be proven wrong.
    Packers fans will be calling for TT to get fired and replaced pronto.
    The players TT picked will do really really well.
    TT is forgiven and then called a genius and has an eye for talent.
    Repeat year after year until TT retires.

Anyway, it's just too damn hard for me to speculate on who will get picked because the team is just too damn good as it is.
    The starters will be back and watch out!
  2. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    Something else guaranteed to happen:

Free agency finally starts as a new CBA has been signed.
    Fans demand TT sign some kind of big name free agent.
    Fans panic and become overly critical when big name free agent signs elsewhere.
    TT does nothing else in FA.
    Fans get pissed, call for his firing, saying he doesn't do enough to win now.
    Packers put together another solid season, TT is redeemed, fans look stupid yet again.
    Rinse/repeat until next season.

Gets friggin old.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you guys are wrong on both fronts. This Super Bowl has validated everything TT has done for the past three years. He has at least one year free from criticism and ridicule. The last of the Favre backers are quiet. Fans see TT chooses the right players.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445 / 15 / -5
    +1
    I think you'd have to really be reaching to jump to conclusions about TTs picks after this year.
    BTW, I loved the picks last year and TTs explanation for each one. It's just those lonely sour grapes people like to sow from year to year. I don't even pay attention to those posters anymore.
  5. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471 / 1 / -0
    Boomshackalacka. Exactly right.

I'll have people I'd like to see us draft or sign, but whatever Ted does is fine by me. He's a lot smarter than I am, and he's got the hardware to prove it.
  6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    Bingo.
    Teddy makes some mistakes clearly, and he's made some picks where we fans react like "What the hell! Bad pick!!".

But he's also come up with some guys NONE of us would have like:

-Greg Jennings
    -Nick Collins
    -Clay Matthews
    -Josh Sitton

*He traded a lot to move up and take Matthews, and he NEVER trades up, only down. That was against his M.O. and the trade value chart said he overpaid. But we're happy now.

*He traded down in round 2 and ended up taking Jennings, and both that and the Matthews trades came from New England. Haha Genius Belichick. He traded up to our spot to take WR Chad Jackson. Bust city.

*None of us ever saw or heard of Nick Collins while he was in college.

Now he has had some terrible picks which fans were right about right off the bat: Justin Harrell, Pat Lee come to mind.

But what amazes me the most is his ability to find undrafted guys like Tramon Williams, Sam I am Shields, Charlie Peprah, and Frank Zombo. I like Peprah a lot and hope he stays a Packer for a good 5 more years.
  7. Calhoun Lambeau

Calhoun Lambeau Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If we pick a player in the first round that the fans don't know about, nobody is going to call for Thompson to be fired, that's just absurd. Same thing if we don't sign a big FA, nobody is going to call for him to be fired, well nobody that matters. There will be that 5% of real Packer fans that still hates Thompson for whatever reason that will never give him credit. Those fans should just be ignored.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    Yup. I remember some fans calling for Ted to be fired, saying Matthews was a horrible pick. Those guys are idiots.

Ted isn't perfect, but neither is anyone but hindsight. No GM hits 100% on their draft picks. Not a single one.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
    TT will draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.
  10. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I'd much rather have TT than Jerry Angelo calliing the shots.
  11. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I just dont see TT pulling another Justin Harrell. Seemed like he was really reaching with that one. (obviously)

I would love to see another Raji/Mathews class, but thats almost a one in a million shot there.

I expect him to grab a DE with the first pick. Some speculate Clayborn could fall that far. I dont think he would, but that would be awesome! (Iowa Fan here)

Who ever it will be I think it helps to know more about there personality and work ethic as much as talent with TT. I dont think we'll ever see him pick the Dez Bryant, Anthony Davis or Micheal Crabtree types.
  12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    I remember a lot of Iowa/Packer fans being so high on Abdul Hodge.
    And I remember when they wanted us to draft Drew Tate.

Bulaga seems to have a good future though.
  13. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    Thanks for the "likes". Greatly appreciate it!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. brett2520

brett2520 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I have always liked TT, but disliked his methods. I wish we would be a factor (SOMETIMES) in free agency. But I realize he is one of a kind as a GM. But do not think we will have the PERFECT PICK. I am not bashing TT, but Harrell didnt pan out, so i am bringing people down to earth. I hope we get another star, aka clay matthews, but i realize we may not get a star. OLB or OT is best case scenario.
  15. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    Why? Is it because you're bored and want something to talk about during the off-season? Because, lemme tell you, I can't think of a whole lot of free agents who A) wouldn't put us in salary cap hell, and B) Who would be dramatic upgrades over the talent we already have.

Not sure why you feel the need to "Bring people back to Earth." Even the staunchest TT supporters, of which I am one, will readily admit Harrell never panned out. We don't expect perfection, though we do expect consistently good. And if this winds up being his worst draft ever, I won't crush him for it, because he's done more than enough to warrant my unconditional support. I imagine most fans will feel that way.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,521 / 52 / -4
    Makes you wonder what some people see as the goal. To me it was winning the Superbowl. I wouldn't care if TT's method of picking players in the draft was to use a psychic to interpret a tap dancing flatulent goat. If it results in a SB victory, I am fine with it.

Additionally, they refuse to acknowledge risk/reward in the draft. TT and everyone associated with the NFL understood there was a risk in drafting a player who was injured in his senior year. They fail to see what a talent Harrell was (and is). This is a man who was given #92 (the only player since Reggie to wear this number at TEN.) He was extremely dedicated, tough, and strong. He played in a big game AFTER ripping his bicep to help his team. If he had a season as a SR like he did as a JR - I think he would have gone near top 5 in the draft.